A Song Will Rise by Peter Paul And Mary

A Song Will Rise

by Peter Paul and Mary

711,138,814 (5)None

Once upon a time my father bought this as an LP. When I discovered it, I played it incessantly. I learned all of Mary's parts and sang along with the songs. I loved the complex harmonies and the stories told. I wore out that LP, even though I didn't realize it.

Flash forward to 2011 and I inherited the LP from my father. I still loved it with all its hisses and pops. In 2012 I realized I would be moving halfway across the country and needed to convert my LPs to CDs.

This was one of the CDs I bought. All of a sudden, the clarity returned. I was a child again, rediscovering this beautiful music.

This CD doesn't have a bad track on it. To understand the dynamics, you have to remember that LPs had two sides and "Wasn't That a Time" with its driving tempo started the second side.

I'd recommend this CD to anyone exploring folk music or who is interested in exploring the musical culture in the mid-1960s. It is one of my favorite albums by the trio.

(And yes, I still sing Mary's part along with them!) ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Aug 21, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,296,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible