Winter Moon by Dean Koontz

Winter Moon

by Dean Koontz

Recently added byMoonDaughter, emily.ann, private library, Bookluvr1989, ShelleyStanaway, Ghostly1

Note to self: don't read a Dean Koontz book at night when alone in the house. It's good and scarey. Who knew Montana had such evil beasties? Where is the next one? ( )
  buffalogr | Mar 13, 2014 |
SUMMARY: Deepest night, Montana. An eerie light proclaims the arrival of a mysterious watcher in the woods. And one solitary man begins a desperate battle against something unknown—and unknowable.Broad daylight, Los Angeles. An ordinary morning erupts in cataclysmic violence. A young family is shattered in a heartbeat.Fate will lead this family to an isolated Montana ranch, but their sanctuary will become their worst nightmare. For there they will face a chillingly ruthless enemy, from which no one—living or dead—is safe.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I listened to the audio book of Winter Moon. I have been a Dean Koontz fan for many, many years. Winter moon is easily my least favorite Koontz book.

I love the premise of the story and the climax, once we got there, was fantastic. But getting there took way too long. The book moved very slowly. I felt way too much attention was spent on everyday menial tasks, which is quite boring to read about, or listen to in this case.

The book started out strong. Jack is a police officer in Los Angeles. The very first chapter starts with him and his partner getting into a shootout. From there, we go to Quartermass Ranch in Montana where we meet Eduardo. Eventually, Jack moves with his wife and son to Montana and live at Quartermass Ranch, which is when things start to get strange and the story starts to pick up. However, this is about three-quarters of the way into the book already.

I had considered more than once to stop listening and put the book aside, but because I am such a huge fan of Koontz I kept expecting it to get better. I guess they can't all be winners. I won't hold this against him. Still a huge fan, and looking forward to reading more!
  srfeike | Mar 1, 2012 |
Reread in June, 2011

This was a favorite of mine back when I was 16, so when I found this current copy at a used book store, the nostalgic part of me couldn't resist.

It was an enjoyable reread, though my reading interests have grown, my tastes have expanded. I could still appreciate the creepiness and suspense and wanting to know why the animals were so interested in the old man. There was the horrifying moment when he met his demise.

Fun stuff, but I think I've outgrown this book. I are sophisticate now. ( )
  quillmenow | Feb 10, 2012 |
much darker Koontz than many of his others, but one of the best. It was spooky suspense, but not horror. ( )
  tysdad | Sep 10, 2010 |
Beaches, surfers, California girls.
Wind scented with fabulous dreams.
Bougainvillea, groves of oranges.
Stars are born, everything gleams.

A weather change.  Shadows fall.
New scent upon the wind -- deay.
Cocaine, Uzis, drive-by shootings.
Death is a banker.  Everyone pays.
--The Book of Counted Sorrows
To Gerda, who knows a thousand reasons why, with much love
Death was driving an emerald-green Lexus.
Originally published in a slightly different version as "Invasion", under the pseudonym "Aaron Wolfe"

Renamed from an early Dean Koontz (aka Aaron Wolfe) story called Invasion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582933, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:18 -0400)

Jack McGarvey, an LA cop is still in disability months after a madman guns him down. He longs to move his family to a more peaceful place. The McGarveys find salvation when they inherit a sprawling Montana ranch, unaware of the terror that lies in wait for them.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,622,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible