The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock…

by Michael Capuzzo

Member:Trina0401
Title:The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases
Authors:Michael Capuzzo
Info:Gotham (2011), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases by Michael Capuzzo

Recently added byprivate library, Em_Mac, mhenli32

In spite of the numerous flaws I feel there to be in its structure and conclusions, I found the book highly interesting and enjoyable. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
I actually liked this book. I have always been very interested in the Vidocq Society and found the history of how the organization was formed very interesting. I was familiar with most of the cases presented in the book, through other reading I had done in the past, the the macabre details were not shocking to me but might be to some. I read the book, not to focus on the cases, but on the people in the organization. I found it an interesting point of view by the author and I thought that the life stories of the three original members (Walter, Fleisher, and Bender) were fascinating. They have always been portrayed very differently in the media and it was great that they offered to participate in having the stories of their life made public. There are many books that contradict the work of the Vidocq Society, but I am glad that this book was written and portrays them as an organization that does help families and law enforcement organization, and that their work should not go unrecognized. ( )
  crazyjster | May 12, 2013 |
was listening to the author on Fresh Air. Sounds fascinating.
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
I guess I should have paid more attention to reviews or the description or something because this was nothing like I expected.

The book is retelling after retelling of the most atrocious, bloody, gruesome, true crime stories in U.S. history. Some of the mysteries were never solved, so they're just plopped down in this book for reasons of sensationalism (as far as I could tell).

The "stories" of the founders of the Vidocq Society are interwoven with the true crime tales, but in a way that turns this from a strict nonfiction book to an odd amalgamation of biography, mystery, true crime, horror, history, and (oddly) geography.

Finally, I don't have any idea why "Sherlock Holmes" is part of the title (other than to erroneously sell this to people who are Doyle fans). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I am giving this book a 4 star rating even though I only managed to get a few chapters in... it is not for the faint-of-heart and, while interesting, simply creeped me out. For those with stronger stomachs than mine, or less vivid imaginations, this would be a great read. ( )
  kwkslvr | Nov 9, 2012 |
This is compelling reading, but Capuzzo’s narrative style often has the reader guessing at details, methods, and outcomes.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Connie Fletcher (Jul 1, 2010)

Despite journalist Capuzzo's obvious reverence for the crime fighters he profiles, his account of the formation of the legendary Vidocq Society is as scattered as many of the cold case files they wade through.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 24, 2010)

Terrifying, engrossing, inspirational and surprisingly funny.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 15, 2010)

For Teresa
The profiler would not shake hands with the priest.

Unsolved murders were rampant, and somebody had to something. Three of the world's finest sleuths--an FBI agent turned private eye, a forensic artist and the ladies' man who speaks to the dead, and an eccentric profiler known as "the living Sherlock Holmes"--invited the greatest collection of ace detectives from around the world on a grand adventure for justice: to track down the killers in the toughest unsolved murders, working pro bono to solve cold cases over a hot gourmet lunch.

The Murder Room draws the reader into the secret investigations of the crime-fighting Vidocq Society, named for the flamboyant nineteenth-century Paris detective Eugéne François Vidocq, whose real-life adventures inspired the creation of the detective novel. It is a darkly fascinating world as the three partners travel far from their Victorian dining room to hunt the ruthless killers of a millionaire's son, a mass murderer who wiped out his whole family, a child-killer enjoying fifty years of freedom, and a cast of serial killers and other human monsters who had long outsmarted the police in some of the most chilling cases in the world.

Accompanied by an insert of more than twenty photos, The Murder Room is a descent into the lowest regions of hell and a climb into the highest redemption; a true tale of evil as old as the Bible and dark as the pages of Dostoevsky; and a private club of passionate men and women who decided to make a stand for truth, goodness, and justice using old-fashioned shoe leather and dazzling bright forensic science as their sword. [from the jacket]

Documents the efforts of the Vidocq Society, an elite trio of gifted investigators, to solve such notorious cold cases as those of JonBenet Ramsey, the Butcher of Cleveland, and Jack the Ripper, and details their work with the world's top forensic specialists.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible