The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock…

by Michael Capuzzo

Member:Trina0401
Title:The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases
Authors:Michael Capuzzo
Info:Gotham (2011), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases by Michael Capuzzo

In what I took to be a series of vignettes, Capuzzo leads us on a journey into the mind of the sadistic, sexual, serial killer. His style led me to see this was a much better story than when I originally picked up the book. Not until I discovered a sheath of photographs halfway through the book did I realize this was in fact an actual true-crime book. The stories he had woven together where stranger than fiction and all of them chillingly real.
From cold-case headlines, predominantly, at least initially in the Philadelphia, PA area we learn about a pro-bono, crime-fighting unit named the Vidocq Society. The group, formed by former FBI agent and private detective William Fleisher, psychic forensic artist Frank Bender and forensic psychologist Richard Walter lead us through the most bizarre, traumatic crimes ever committed, and one by one, with help from the other society members, finally put to rest scores of unsolved murders.
During brainstorming sessions where lunch was often, ‘chicken, steamed vegetables and a corpse with a small and unforgettable face’ these miracle workers brought closure to many a forgotten family who were glad to know these, ‘were men who had a green thumb in the garden of death.’ Without impeding on going, police investigations they refused any case until it was at least two-years-old. Many cases where two decades old. They discussed centuries old murders and had a melding of minds and enjoyed lively discussions with like-minded individuals.
These larger than life characters will open your eyes and your minds to the impossible, and transport you to a world you don’t want to believe exists outside of your comfortable living room.
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
An intriguing look into the minds of not only serial killers and murderers, but of the criminologists that are paid to hunt them down. The most intriguing group is the Vidocq Society, international volunteers from the criminal justice system that meet quarterly to discuss cold cases. Unlike the tv show, this foray into old murders, sometimes decades old, is torturous for the participants that can't let it go, and for us the reader. That any of them gets solved is a miracle and one that we are witness to in this work which highlights the three founders of the society. Although the chapters jump from case to case and back again it is more like real life in that the cases aren't solved linearly but in fits and spurts. Although not an 'enjoyable' book it is nonetheless riveting. ( )
  book58lover | Dec 11, 2015 |
One in three murders are unsolved in the US and The Vidocq Society, named for the father of criminalistics, was formed. The Society is made up of top lawmen and criminal investigators in the world who meet once a month to have lunch and hear about an unsolved murder case. During the period covered (through 2011) they had consulted on 300 cold cases and came up with the tips and advice and that resulted in 90% solved. This book tells the story of the group's founding and really gathers steam as it switches back-and-forth through the cases that were solved. The focus is on three founding members...an ex-FBI agent turned private investigator who held the group together, an artist who constructed busts of victims and long-missing criminals, and a, English-born, brutally-direct prison psychiatrist who resembles Basil Rathbone and considers himself one of 5 or 6 worthwhile criminal profilers. Great book. ( )
  NickHowes | Sep 24, 2015 |
This is compelling reading, but Capuzzo’s narrative style often has the reader guessing at details, methods, and outcomes.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Connie Fletcher (Jul 1, 2010)

Despite journalist Capuzzo's obvious reverence for the crime fighters he profiles, his account of the formation of the legendary Vidocq Society is as scattered as many of the cold case files they wade through.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 24, 2010)

Terrifying, engrossing, inspirational and surprisingly funny.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 15, 2010)

For Teresa
The profiler would not shake hands with the priest.

Unsolved murders were rampant, and somebody had to something. Three of the world's finest sleuths--an FBI agent turned private eye, a forensic artist and the ladies' man who speaks to the dead, and an eccentric profiler known as "the living Sherlock Holmes"--invited the greatest collection of ace detectives from around the world on a grand adventure for justice: to track down the killers in the toughest unsolved murders, working pro bono to solve cold cases over a hot gourmet lunch.

The Murder Room draws the reader into the secret investigations of the crime-fighting Vidocq Society, named for the flamboyant nineteenth-century Paris detective Eugéne François Vidocq, whose real-life adventures inspired the creation of the detective novel. It is a darkly fascinating world as the three partners travel far from their Victorian dining room to hunt the ruthless killers of a millionaire's son, a mass murderer who wiped out his whole family, a child-killer enjoying fifty years of freedom, and a cast of serial killers and other human monsters who had long outsmarted the police in some of the most chilling cases in the world.

Accompanied by an insert of more than twenty photos, The Murder Room is a descent into the lowest regions of hell and a climb into the highest redemption; a true tale of evil as old as the Bible and dark as the pages of Dostoevsky; and a private club of passionate men and women who decided to make a stand for truth, goodness, and justice using old-fashioned shoe leather and dazzling bright forensic science as their sword. [from the jacket]

Documents the efforts of the Vidocq Society, an elite trio of gifted investigators, to solve such notorious cold cases as those of JonBenet Ramsey, the Butcher of Cleveland, and Jack the Ripper, and details their work with the world's top forensic specialists.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible