Always with you by Ruth Vander Zee

Always with you (edition 2008)

by Ruth Vander Zee

Member:OakBridgeAcademy
Title:Always with you
Authors:Ruth Vander Zee
Info:Grand Rapids MI : Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2008.

Always With You by Ruth Vander Zee

This book demonstrates coping with death in extreme cases. Kim, losses her family to an bombing in Vietnam and found by soldiers, is put in an orphanage. She is loves by the owner there and mostly survives through the memories of being loved by her mother. This story delivers hope in extreme cases.

Source: Tacoma library system
Age: 6-12
  DonnaChanthabouly | May 30, 2018 |
Kim's village in Vietnam was blown up when she was 4-years-old. She is blinded and orphaned. She vividly remembers her mother placing her hand on her head and reminding her that she will always be with her. She is then rescued and brought to a family on China Beach. She is eventually placed in a permanent family in the US. This is a story of overcoming orphanhood and learning to see color again in the face of trauma. I loved this book! ( )
  syd_neylol | Feb 22, 2018 |
Four-year-old Kim is forced to make the journey to an orphanage on her own after her village is destroyed. Based on a true story, Always With You depicts the story of a young refugee during the Vietnam war This gentle story is about hope even when you seem to be alone. Intense but sweet this book is great for older students who are studying the Vietnam War. ( )
  Smorri23 | Apr 18, 2016 |
This book was sad, but still a great book. I really liked the illustrations. They look like they were hand painted, and this gives them a very authentic feeling. The pictures take up both sides of the book, and the text is written in lightly shaded portions of the illustrations. The facial expressions on all of the people drawn in the book are very real, and it increases the emotional affect of the reader. Even though they contribute to the story's sadness, the illustrations do a great job of supporting the text. I also liked the descriptive language. The author’s word choice and writing style really made the text have more of an impact. For example, when explaining the bombing that resulted in Kim’s vision loss, she writes, “The soldiers thought I was dead. But I wasn’t. I don’t know how long I lay there, but when I woke, everything was hazy. I was thirsty. Real thirsty. My body hurt. My head throbbed on that day.” The short sentences and descriptive language allow the text to sink in, thus allowing the text to resonate more. The purpose of this book is to tell the story of a little girl in Vietnam who faced horrible tragedies during the Vietnam War.
1 vote Abeckl1 | Sep 29, 2015 |
This book opened with the quote from Kim, the main character’s mother, “Kim, come to me. Don’t be afraid. I will always be with you.” I liked that the author began with this because it related to the title, and made me curious as the reader what it meant. I liked this book overall, because of the authenticity that it had throughout. Specifically, I enjoyed seeing the perspective of a little girl living in Vietnam during the war, and how that affected her.
I thought this book was good, although I don’t think it would be necessarily appropriate for younger readers (k-3rd grade). An example of where I found it to be too harsh for younger readers would be when Kim is rehashing on the day that her house was burned down and Vietnamese soldiers attacked Kim and her mother: “I heard, “here’s one left alive,” and then felt the butt of a gun crack across the back of my head on that day. I think this line is an important part of the story because it describes how the people of Vietnam were treated during the war I just don’t think it’s necessarily appropriate for younger readers.
In addition, I liked how during the more depressing parts of the book, all of the illustrations besides Kim are in black and white. An example of this is when Kim is in color like when laying next to her mother’s body alone where her blown up house had once been.
In the story, American soldiers rescue Kim and then later give her a piece of gum. She says, “Long after the sweetness was gone, I was still chewing. The gum would not go away. I thought to myself, I will keep his gum forever.” I thought this was sweet because it showed a child’s thoughts during a hard time, and thought it was Interesting and important that she befriended the American soldiers and trusted them. This story also represents something we don’t see a lot, which is a child’s perspective of what was like being attacked for innocent Vietnamese people and children.
At the end of the book when the soldiers drop Kim off at an orphanage, all of the illustrations are created using bright watercolors, as that was the most uplifting part of the boo. She then tells her doll what her mother once told her, “Don be afraid, I will always be with you.” I think the main idea of this book is to be courageous, and give readers an outlook on a hard life lived by some people in different countries. ( )
  tmalon4 | Apr 12, 2015 |

After her mother is killed by an explosion that also destroys her Vietnam village, four-year-old Kim is alone and afraid. Eventually, she is rescued by soldiers who bring her to an orphanage.

Surrounded by the love of the couple who run the orphanage, the companionship of the children who live there, and her mother's promise, ?I will always be with you, ? Kim finds the strength and courage to survive.

This picture book for older readers, based on a true story from the Vietnam War, portrays the hope that exists in even the most desperate situations. Poignant illustrations capture the perseverance of the human spirit and the power of kindness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Orphaned at the age of four when her village in Viet Nam is bombed, Kim is rescued by soldiers and raised in an orphanage, always finding comfort in her mothers last words--"Don't be afraid. I will always be with you."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,473,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible