Disappointment with God by Philip Yancey

Disappointment with God (1988)

by Philip Yancey

English (12)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (13)
Philip Yancey asks three questions in this book about God and why he doesn't intervene in the here and now. Through examination of the Bible, Yancey finds that God used to do just that. These actions didn't foster faith or respect from his people though. After a while, the people went back to their old ways.

Surely a giant display of power would convert a ton of people right? Everyone would follow that thing and believe. Yancey argues that this is not so, and uses the Bible as demonstrable proof to that effect. Even as Jesus, God didn't do things like turn stones to bread and other stuff, even if he could. Jesus and by extension God, wanted our love and respect, not our fawning devotion.

It answered some of my questions about God being a jerk, but I still don't really like the Bible all that much. Also, I don't really trust it as a source of divine inspiration or anything like that. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Spiritual Growth
  Glenda_Wilkins102 | Nov 16, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book, even though the readability was a bit tedious. It deals with the topic of how sometimes (or most times) we feel like God isn't near us. We go through tough times and wonder where God is in all of that, but really, another way to view it is where are we in all of this? What is our response to God when we endure heartache or disease?

Many people want to see God, to have miracles happen all the time, to have every prayer answered. Philip Yancey gives some good arguments as to why God doesn't do this. It's not because he doesn't care or he's not powerful. It's because back in the day, when he did those things with the Israelites, they turned away from Him. A really interesting way of thinking about things, though. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Rated: A-

I love Philip Yancy and his theology and journalism. In this book, he answers three questions: Is God unfair? (no, life's unfair, not God). Is God silent? Is God hidden? He provides a practical perspective for believers and doubters. Plus, the book is offers a unique commentary on the Book of Job.

"They had doubted him once, but after the Resurrection they would not doubt him again."

"In his book 'Wishful Thinking', Fredrick Buechner sums up God's speech. 'God doesn't explain. He explodes. He asks Job who he thinks he is anyway. He says that to try to explain the kind of things Job wants explained would be like trying to explain Einstein to a little-neck clam....God doesn't reveal his grand design. He reveals himself.' The message behind the splendid poetry boils down to this: Until you know a little more about running the physical universe, Job, don't tell me how to run the moral universe."

"The same urgent questions torment almost every suffering person: Why? Why me? What is God trying to tell me? In the Book of Job, God deflects those questions of cause, and focuses instead on our response of faith"

"Knowledge is passive, intellectual; suffering is active, personal. No intellectual answer will solve suffering. Perhaps this is why God sent his own Son as one response to human pain, to experience it and absorb it into himself. The Incarnation did not "solve" human suffering, but at least it was an active and personal response in the truest sense, no words can speak more loudly than the Word."

"Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse....trusting God when there is no apparent evidence of him."

"As Rabbi Abraham Heschel observed, 'Faith like Job's cannot be shaken because it si the result of having been shaken.'" ( )
  jmcdbooks | Jan 30, 2013 |
NO OF PAGES: 260 SUB CAT I: Faith SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Philip Yancey searches for answers to the questions we rarely ask aloud - Is God silent? Is God unfair? Where is God in our emotional pain? A searingly honest and powerful book that takes our doubts seriously, yet points to a faith we can live by and hope that will not let us down.NOTES: Donated by Tim Hegg. SUBTITLE: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
For my brother,

who is still disappointed
After I had begun work on this project, I received phone calls from a few people in my church who had heard about it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Philip Yancey has a gift for articulating the knotty issues of faith. In Disappointment with God, he poses three questions that Christians wonder but seldom ask aloud: Is God unfair? Is he silent? Is he hidden? This insightful and deeply personal book points to the odd disparity between our concept of God and the realities of life. Why, if God is so hungry for relationship with us, does he seem so distant? Why, if he cares for us, do bad things happen? What can we expect from him after all? Yancey answers these questions with clarity, richness, and biblical assurance. He takes us beyond the things that make for disillusionment to a deeper faith, a certitude of God's love, and a thirst to reach not just for what God gives, but for who he is.… (more)

Zondervan

2 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 031021436X, 0310517818

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible