Wave by Suzy Lee

Wave

by Suzy Lee

Series: Suzy Lee

English (83)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (85)
Wave, is another amazing wordless book that talks about the encounter of a little girl with the ocean. It shoes different emotions that the girl has experiencing nature. The images in the book are black and white with some blue representing the ocean. Great book to read with your young readers. I would say infants to year 8. ( )
  vanesis579 | Apr 4, 2019 |
I enjoyed looking through this book because I thought it was interesting that the illustrator decided to sketch the pictures rather than make them extremely detailed and colorful. This was the first wordless picture book that I've come across so far that has that style of illustration, so I enjoyed seeing something different/new. I also liked the theme implied in this wordless picture book, which was that even though something bad may happen or something may not go your way, good things can still come out of it. I gave this book 4/5 stars because I liked the intended message behind it and the illustrations that depicted the message, but I felt that there could have had a little more action involved to keep the readers attention throughout the entire book. "Wave" began with an illustration of a little girl at the beach who was very close to the water. As the water/waves came closer and closer, she ran from them, sticking her tongue out at them when they couldn't reach her fast enough. Then suddenly, as she was mocking the waves, a gigantic wave came out of nowhere and hit her, causing her to fall over and become soaked. She appeared to be very frustrated at the wave at first, but once she opened her eyes and realized the cool things that the huge wave had left behind, her whole persona changed. She was amazed by the seashells and starfish that washed up with the wave. ( )
  kcondo6 | Sep 23, 2018 |
This book was very simple and short. The setting was the same throughout the whole book, where a girl was standing in front of the shoreline catching and running away from waves. It showed the little girl being scared of the waves, to her running into the ocean and swimming with them. This book would make for a great lesson on cause-and-effect because of the ocean waves flowing out and then back in. ( )
  csappenfield | Apr 21, 2018 |
The story line of this wordless picture book was not as clear as others, but I think the concept of young students being able to "read" would remain successful. The general tale followed a girl who thought she was afraid of water, come to realize she thought it was fun. This could be used for students to infer their own story by writing their own story line. ( )
  marissathrower | Feb 13, 2018 |
This was the first wordless picture book that I've ever encountered! I love the concept of a wordless picture book because it forces children to critically think on their own about the emotions, plot, and characters within the story. Wordless Picture Books can also asses the students knowledge of the meaning of setting, conflict and plot. The story is about a girl who is playing at the beach and is afraid of the water. At first she is timid and does want to get in. She gradually steps into the ocean and gets soaked. She suddenly realizes that the water is not that bad. She plays in the water until she feels comfortable. The illustrations of the story focus on the wave for the most part. The entire page is gray except for the wave, which is a bright blue. However the plot is very short, but children can still make connections and predictions. ( )
  jdanie23 | Oct 31, 2017 |
For Sahn, my new born baby

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081185924X, Hardcover)

In this evocative wordless book, internationally acclaimed artist Suzy Lee tells the story of a little girl's day at the beach. Stunning in their simplicity, Lee's illustrations, in just two shades of watercolor, create a vibrant story full of joy and laughter.

New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book 2008

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A wordless picture book that shows a little girl's first experiences at the beach, as she goes from being afraid of the roaring waves to playing on the shore while gulls soar overhead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible