The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

The Calder Game

by Blue Balliett

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: Petra / Calder Art Mysteries (3)

@calder_game +chasing_vermeer ( )
  Lorem | Oct 2, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about mysteries and puzzles. It would be good for students who are interested in mysteries, puzzles and England. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
Although this installment in Balliett's series seemed to lack the same urgency as its predecessors, it still was an entertaining mystery infused with modern art history, riddles and word play. The description is well crafted and the illustrations are dynamic and expressive of the characters and mood of the book. (This title was used in my Booktalks assignment.) ( )
  LibbyHopfauf | Mar 18, 2014 |
Author Blue Balliet takes a new-age thought approach to her novels whereby everything is somehow connected. If we just look hard enough, we can understand the connection and solve any quandry. I don't subscribe to this brand of thinking, but the book was still enjoyable. There is always a bit of history included in her work, usually obscure, and that in iteself makes the book worth reading as you will discover something that you likely didn't know before. The information is shared in such a way that you can't help but want to investigate further on your own, which I think is the mark of good literature! ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
After visiting a special display of Alexander Calder's works with his class, Calder Pillay travels to a small town in England where he finds another one of Calder's art pieces. One evening, both Calder and the statue go missing and the town attempts to put together the few clues they have to figure out if the two Cadlers have dissappeared together or separately. To help solve the mystery, Calder's friends Tommy and Petra join his dad in England and do some sleuthing of their own.

I think this one was my favorite of the series. I am not familiar with the work of Alexander Calder, but I found the ideas so fascinating that I had to find some images of his mobiles. The growth of the characters was very welcome and seemed to round out the books well. After the angsty pre-teen friendship issues in The Wright 3, I was hesitant to read this next installment, but am very happy I did! This one is definitely darker than the others - foul play is suspected and talked about quite a bit in boy Calder's disappearance. ( )
  agrudzien | Apr 7, 2013 |

Blue Balliettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brett HelquistIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I make what I see. It's only the problem of seeing it. -Alexander Calder

Nobody ever listened to me until they didn't know who I was. -Banksy
The setting is a very old town in England.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439852072, Hardcover)

When Calder Pillay travels with his father to a remote village in England, he finds a mix of mazes and mystery- including an unexpected Alexander Calder sculpture in the town square. Calder is strangely drawn to the sculpture, while others in the village have less-than-friendly feelings toward it. Both the boy and the sculpture seem out of place...and then they dissapear!!!!

Calder's friends Petra and Tommy must fly to England to help Calder's father find him. But this mystery has more twists and turns than a calder mobile caught in a fierce wind-with more at stake that meets the eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

When seventh-grader Calder Pillay disappears from a remote English village--along with an Alexander Calder sculpture to which he has felt strangely drawn--his friends Petra and Tommy fly from Chicago to help his father find him.

4 avail.1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible