The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

The Calder Game

by Blue Balliett

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: Petra / Calder Art Mysteries (3)

651None14,785 (3.88)30

Although this installment in Balliett's series seemed to lack the same urgency as its predecessors, it still was an entertaining mystery infused with modern art history, riddles and word play. The description is well crafted and the illustrations are dynamic and expressive of the characters and mood of the book. (This title was used in my Booktalks assignment.) ( )
  LibbyHopfauf | Mar 18, 2014 |
Author Blue Balliet takes a new-age thought approach to her novels whereby everything is somehow connected. If we just look hard enough, we can understand the connection and solve any quandry. I don't subscribe to this brand of thinking, but the book was still enjoyable. There is always a bit of history included in her work, usually obscure, and that in iteself makes the book worth reading as you will discover something that you likely didn't know before. The information is shared in such a way that you can't help but want to investigate further on your own, which I think is the mark of good literature! ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
After visiting a special display of Alexander Calder's works with his class, Calder Pillay travels to a small town in England where he finds another one of Calder's art pieces. One evening, both Calder and the statue go missing and the town attempts to put together the few clues they have to figure out if the two Cadlers have dissappeared together or separately. To help solve the mystery, Calder's friends Tommy and Petra join his dad in England and do some sleuthing of their own.

I think this one was my favorite of the series. I am not familiar with the work of Alexander Calder, but I found the ideas so fascinating that I had to find some images of his mobiles. The growth of the characters was very welcome and seemed to round out the books well. After the angsty pre-teen friendship issues in The Wright 3, I was hesitant to read this next installment, but am very happy I did! This one is definitely darker than the others - foul play is suspected and talked about quite a bit in boy Calder's disappearance. ( )
  agrudzien | Apr 7, 2013 |
Awesome mystery! Lots of twists and turns in this one, which is third in the mysteries series. It made me want to find out all about Alexander Calder and his art! Calder Pillay accompanies his father to England, where his father is attending a conference in Oxford. They stay at a tiny bed-and-breakfast in Woodstock, just outside of Oxford. The village has received an anonymous gift of a large Alexander Calder sculpture, which has been placed in the town square. Calder (the boy) is fascinated by the red sculpture, titled "Minotaur" but the residents of the village are generally displeased with the gift and they complain about it. Because his name is the same as the sculptor, and because he is an American and an outsider, Calder is also shunned by the people as he wanders around exploring the town's castle, gardens, and giant maze. One night, Calder doesn't come back to the inn as expected, and the same night the sculpture disappears also. Calder's friends Petra and Tommy, supervised by the intrepid Mrs. Sharpe, fly out to help find Calder when his mother falls accidentally and cannot make the trip. Where is Calder, and where is the sculpture, and are the two disappearances related? Lots of puzzles! For 6th grade and up. ( )
  KarenBall | Sep 23, 2011 |
Very very good. ( )
  kizzie123 | Feb 6, 2011 |

Blue Balliettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brett HelquistIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I make what I see. It's only the problem of seeing it. -Alexander Calder

Nobody ever listened to me until they didn't know who I was. -Banksy
The setting is a very old town in England.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439852072, Hardcover)

When Calder Pillay travels with his father to a remote village in England, he finds a mix of mazes and mystery- including an unexpected Alexander Calder sculpture in the town square. Calder is strangely drawn to the sculpture, while others in the village have less-than-friendly feelings toward it. Both the boy and the sculpture seem out of place...and then they dissapear!!!!

Calder's friends Petra and Tommy must fly to England to help Calder's father find him. But this mystery has more twists and turns than a calder mobile caught in a fierce wind-with more at stake that meets the eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:38 -0400)

When seventh-grader Calder Pillay disappears from a remote English village--along with an Alexander Calder sculpture to which he has felt strangely drawn--his friends Petra and Tommy fly from Chicago to help his father find him.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible