The Calder Game by Blue Balliett

The Calder Game

by Blue Balliett

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: Petra / Calder Art Mysteries (3)

I liked the first two books in the series, the mysteries contained therein were better thought out and had a much better flow.

It seemed as the author was at a loss and this story not only seemed a bit more difficult to follow, but the clues and the characters felt a bit limp...

The art history angle of the books is a good way to mix non-fiction with fiction and might lead a child who is reading this series into exploring great artists. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
When seventh-grader Calder Pillay disappears from a remote English village--along with an Alexander Calder sculpture to which he has felt strangely drawn--his friends Petra and Tommy fly from Chicago to help his father find him.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about mysteries and puzzles. It would be good for students who are interested in mysteries, puzzles and England. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
Although this installment in Balliett's series seemed to lack the same urgency as its predecessors, it still was an entertaining mystery infused with modern art history, riddles and word play. The description is well crafted and the illustrations are dynamic and expressive of the characters and mood of the book. (This title was used in my Booktalks assignment.) ( )
  LibbyHopfauf | Mar 18, 2014 |
After visiting a special display of Alexander Calder's works with his class, Calder Pillay travels to a small town in England where he finds another one of Calder's art pieces. One evening, both Calder and the statue go missing and the town attempts to put together the few clues they have to figure out if the two Cadlers have dissappeared together or separately. To help solve the mystery, Calder's friends Tommy and Petra join his dad in England and do some sleuthing of their own.

I think this one was my favorite of the series. I am not familiar with the work of Alexander Calder, but I found the ideas so fascinating that I had to find some images of his mobiles. The growth of the characters was very welcome and seemed to round out the books well. After the angsty pre-teen friendship issues in The Wright 3, I was hesitant to read this next installment, but am very happy I did! This one is definitely darker than the others - foul play is suspected and talked about quite a bit in boy Calder's disappearance. ( )
  agrudzien | Apr 7, 2013 |

Blue Balliettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brett HelquistIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I make what I see. It's only the problem of seeing it. -Alexander Calder

Nobody ever listened to me until they didn't know who I was. -Banksy
To Bill for and in all ways
The setting is a very old town in England.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439852072, Hardcover)

When Calder Pillay travels with his father to a remote village in England, he finds a mix of mazes and mystery- including an unexpected Alexander Calder sculpture in the town square. Calder is strangely drawn to the sculpture, while others in the village have less-than-friendly feelings toward it. Both the boy and the sculpture seem out of place...and then they dissapear!!!!

Calder's friends Petra and Tommy must fly to England to help Calder's father find him. But this mystery has more twists and turns than a calder mobile caught in a fierce wind-with more at stake that meets the eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible