dismiss

Resistance

by Anita Shreve

1,1912011,481 (3.68)46
In World War II, an American flier is shot down over Belgium. He is rescued by a farmer and his wife who are in the resistance. The wife cares for the airman's wounds and while the husband is away they have a doomed affair which ends in betrayal.

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
it took me about 50 pages to get into this, but once i did, i really enjoyed the next 150 pages or so. there are some excellent turns of phrase and quality writing here. the story, though, for me, focused on probably the least interesting aspect of what was happening. i wanted to hear more about the resistance, about the village, about the cells, about the people. (most especially about why people so actively resist when the repercussions are so extreme, and can affect so many people; what motivates people to stand up and do the right thing when it's hidden? maybe it's just when i'm reading this, but it seems like *that* should be what this book is about.) so the last bit of the book really fell away for me, as it focused on the love relationship, and in doing so, made for some out of character actions. (there is literally no chance that after successfully hiding people for so long that claire would risk the line and her life to go for a coffee in the village with someone she is hiding. no way.)

but this is well written and describes a time well. i often wish her books would have a different focus, but her writing is good enough to keep me coming back anyway.

a couple of examples: "He was in Belgium. He remembered now the word Belgique, the boy's voice frantic and insistent, crowded with tears; and the word in English, the woman's voice, low and soothing, pronouncing the name of her country as if the word itself were sanctuary."

"...dust caught at their trousers." ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Feb 9, 2020 |
Resistance is a short but haunting novel about illicit romance in wartime Belgium, set in a village in which an American bomber crashes.

I really liked this - the characters are vivid, and their feelings and actions leap off the page. The story moves along at a good pace despite the focus on the characters’ innermost thoughts, and there's also a good sense of place through the descriptive passages.

It's not an all-time great - the story is too fleeting to really suck you in - but Resistance is a solid enough novel, and I'd like to read more by the author. ( )
  mooingzelda | Aug 1, 2018 |
An emotional masterpiece! I could not put this book down and read long into the night never wanting it to end. I felt I was Ted and Claire and Jean throughout the entire story. I still find myself walking around my house or going about my day and suddenly catching my breath and wanting to sob because I have remembered some detail of their story. A profound story of love, hate, and the human spirit. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Resistance is a WWII story . An American plane goes down in a small Belgian village occupied by the Nazis. The pilot Ted is rescued by a yong boy and hidden in the home of Claire and Henri. She nurses him as he has a badly injured leg. They fall in love but Ted is betrayed by Claire's husband and Claire is arrested.
What makes this book good is the simple story told so well.It has the ring of autheticity of a horrid war and a time of great darkness. ( )
  Smits | Jul 11, 2016 |
When I started reading this I wasn't sure I wanted to finish it, but thankfully I stuck with it. Once I hit the middle I couldn't wait to find out what happened. I surprisingly like it very much. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
For our fathers who flew in the war
The pilot paused at the edge of the wood, where already it was dark, oak-dark at midday. He propped himself against a tree, believing that in the shadows he was hidden.

Resistance takes place in Belgium in 1943 and focuses on Claire, who belongs to the underground resistance movement with her husband, and Ted, the American pilot who is hidden in her attic after his plane is shot down.

As she nurses him back to health, Clare falls in love and is soon locked in a passionate affair that seems strong enough to conquer all - until the brutal realitiies of war intrude, shattering every idea she ever had about love, trust, and betrayal.

'Resistance' is a powerful exploration of emotion at odds with commitment. No reader who has loved - or resisted love - will forget this lucid and moving tale.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,026,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible