The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas

The Magic Thief (2008)

by Sarah Prineas, Sarah Prineas

Other authors: Antonio Javier Caparo (Illustrator)

Series: The Magic Thief (1)

Magyk by Angie Sage (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world. Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar 'spark' in working their way through their lot.
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (FFortuna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (megan003)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (FFortuna)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (FFortuna)

English (47)  Dutch (1)  All (48)
What i really appreciate in this book is "Very less Characters", compared to some other fantasy books. Conn, who lives on the streets and is a thief accidentally steals from a wizard. A wizard, who is the best among his profession. And Conn begins his journey to be a wizard.
Magic thief tells a tale of a thief who wants to be a wizard and who catches another thief who wants to steal magic from the city.. Magic lives in the city u see!!
First in the series, this book somewhat resembles the InkWorld series, but lots of magic and i loved the world described here :)
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
First person narratives will always bug me, but when they are as droll and stereotypical as whatever this one was called, they make me feel apprehensive about even picking one up again. It's a formulaic children's fantasy book about nothing much, but it should keep kids with little imagination and five tablets happy whilst they all charge. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I absolutely adored this middle grade fantasy by Prineas. I also loved Prineas's Winterling series which is why I originally picked this book up. This book was even better than the Winterling books, it was so magical and just so much fun to read.

I listened to The Magic Thief on Audiobook and it was very very well done. The narrator sounded exactly like I imagined Conn would sound. The narrator did all the other character voices really well too. I would highly recommend listening to this on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks. I really think the absolutely wonderful narration was part of the reason I loved this book so much.

Conn is a master lockpick and thief whose main concerns are dodging the ruler of Twilight, Crow, and just trying to survive day to day. That is until he picks the wrong pocket, the pocket of an old wizard named Nevery. Conn accidentally stole Nevery’s magicalicus (a magic stone that should kill anyone who touches it outside of the wizard it belongs to). However the magicalicus didn’t kill Conn and Nevery decides to investigate this further and take Conn on as his apprentice. Nevery is in Wellmet to figure out why the amount of magic in the town is declining.

The story starts at a fast pace and never slows down. It's very entertaining, well written and well paced.

A big part of what makes this novel wonderful is the plucky protagonist Conn who is just such an optimist. Even when faced with hard situations he just picks himself up and soldiers through. I loved his candid way of thinking and talking and the way he just assumes that most people are good people (despite his background).

I also loved the magic throughout and the mystery behind why magic was leaving the city. There are also a lot of interesting steampunk devices throughout and there is a lot of magic combined with science kind of explanations that I enjoyed.

This was just a super fun read that just made me feel at happy while I was reading it. Nothing super horrible happens, but there's a good mystery, lots of fun, and lots of quirky characters (who at first seem gruff) but end up really caring about each other.

Overall I just loved this book to pieces and will definitely be reading the next in the series! I highly recommend this novel to fantasy readers of all ages. It is one I will definitely be reading with my seven year old son. The story isn’t super complicated but the magic system and mystery are interesting enough that I think that the story would hold the interest of adult readers as well. ( )
1 vote krau0098 | Aug 4, 2014 |
Conn is a homeless boy in a magical world. He pickpockets a wizard's pocket and finds a magical stone. When he doesn't die from touching it, the wizard (Nevery) takes him in as his apprentice. The town's magic supply is dwindling fast, so Conn and Nevery must find out what is happening to the magic before it's too late.
  lfitzsimmons | Mar 14, 2014 |
This is a fun fantasy for younger readers, around middle grade and possibly a bit younger, as well as of course anyone else who likes MG fantasy. Full review here: http://tahleenreads.blogspot.com/2013/02/book-review-magic-thief-by-sarah-prinea... ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
Straatjongen Rafi (ik-figuur) steelt de locus magicalus, een steen met magische krachten, uit de jaszak van de oude tovenaar Nimmeral. Wie deze steen probeert te stelen zou ter plekke moeten sterven. Als Rafi blijft leven, neemt Nimmeral hem aan als zijn leerling. Daarvoor moet Rafi echter eerst zijn eigen locus magicalicus vinden. Ondertussen daalt het niveau van de magie steeds sneller in de stad Wellekom. Rafi weet het zeker: hij is voorbestemd om te voorkomen dat de magie zal verdwijnen. Een goedgeschreven, onderhoudend verteld verhaal dat zich door taalgebruik, humor en onverwachte wendingen onderscheidt van andere verhalen over tovenaarsleerlingen. De vele korte hoofdstukken over Rafi worden afgewisseld met fragmenten uit Nimmerals dagboek in een telegramstijl. Deze fragmenten lijken op een soort perkament geschreven te zijn. Af en toe staan onderaan runen die met behulp van het alfabet achterin ontcijferd kunnen worden. Het boek bevat voorin een landkaart van Wellekom en achterin lijstjes met de belangrijkste personages, plekken en enkele recepten. Ieder nieuw hoofdstuk wordt gesierd met een zwart-witillustratie. Een aanrader voor liefhebbers van de Harry Potter-reeks. Eerste deel in een serie. Vanaf ca. 10 jaar. - Eefje Buenen

Sarah Prineasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prineas, Sarahmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Caparo, Antonio JavierIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinbruner, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Maud, who laughed in all the right places.
A thief is a lot like a wizard.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006137590X, Paperback)

In a city that runs on a dwindling supply of magic, a young boy is drawn into a life of wizardry and adventure. Conn should have dropped dead the day he picked Nevery's pocket and touched the wizard's locus magicalicus, a stone used to focus magic and work spells. But for some reason he did not. Nevery finds that interesting, and he takes Conn as his apprentice on the provision that the boy find a locus stone of his own. But Conn has little time to search for his stone between wizard lessons and helping Nevery discover who—or what—is stealing the city of Wellmet's magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:30 -0400)

A young thief is drawn into a life of magic and adventure after picking the pocket of the powerful wizard Nevery Flinglas, who has returned from exile to attempt to reverse the troubling decline of magic in Wellmet City.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible