Split Second by David Baldacci

Split Second (2003)

by David Baldacci

(7) audio (12) audiobook (24) Baldacci (12) crime (26) David Baldacci (10) ebook (15) fiction (211) First Edition (9) hardcover (11) library (8) Michelle Maxwell (10) murder (10) mystery (103) Mystery/Thriller (8) novel (19) own (9) paperback (15) pb (8) political (13) political thriller (23) read (43) Sean King (14) Secret Service (47) series (13) suspense (49) thriller (122) to-read (20) unread (17) USA (10)
    The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fifth book in King and Maxwell series
    First Family by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fourth book in King and Maxwell series
    Simple Genius by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The third book in King and Maxwell series
    Hour Game by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The second book in King and Maxwell series

English (45)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
Book 1 in the 'King and Maxwell' series: Two different veins of Secret Service protection detail gone wrong, set 8 years apart. In the story, they converge, with a whole lot of red herring thrown in. Was a little draggy at times (compared to the 'Camel Club' series) -- until the connection between the two cases were made; hence the 2-star rating. I have started on the second book in this series (Hour Game) and that one seems to be a whole lot more engaging from the get-go!
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Kind of a 'mess' of a book, too many partially-profiled characters that didn't really advance the story or the depth of the characters; too formulaic; shoot-em-up-endings always ruin it for me! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Jul 12, 2014 |
What can be said about Split Second that hasn't been said already. Plenty, actually. Both good and bad stuff. All the things that are the hallmark of Baldacci are present, but in lesser and more minute forms. Cruel tragic death at the end, check. Serial killing, check. Character the epitome of training, check. Age difference between hero and heroine, check. And twist after insane twist, che-didly-eck.

The motive of the villain is the achilles heel in this brew of a thriller. Very comic book villainy. The journey to the ending was fun. Not so the drowning parts. More so the bleedingly patient investigation. I do love me some mystery. I blazed through the pages in that section. Enjoyed reading the detailed questioning like it was vintage Agatha Christie.

King and Maxwell were different enough from the Camel Club - my favorite series of Baldacci. King is a more ordinary person compared to Oliver Stone. Sean King was downright insulting to Maxwell at many times. And it was not justified. Not even finding a body in your office justifies it of one wants you to believe in the righteousness of the hero. But that was never Baldacci's aim. He wanted to tweak his stock hero and add foibles to the design of the latter. Maxwell is a very likable character. She has enough wits about her to guess the right thing at the right time. A few of her moments are the best parts of the book. King and Maxwell team up for the second book. Can't wait. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jul 3, 2014 |
David Baldacci's Split Second is about two disgraced U.S. Secret Service Agents. Back in 1996, Sean King is tasked with protecting presidential candidate Clyde Ritter. However, King is momentarily distracted and Ritter is killed along with King's career.

8 years later, Agent Michelle Maxwell and her team are protecting another presidential hopeful named John Bruno, Bruno is kidnapped on Maxwell's watch and her career is in jeopardy. While investigating any possible leads, Maxwell discovers and reviews King's own downfall and seeks him out. Though these cases are 8 years apart, they're connected in a very intricate manner.

I really enjoyed Split Second. The chapters were really snapshots because they were so short. I enjoyed the way Baldacci writes. He knows pacing and dialogue. I was laughing out loud during King and Maxwell's banter. I liked how everybody who was introduced in Split Second had a role to play. I liked just how far and deep the conspiracy was. It seemed as if everybody was part for some reason or another.

Split Second was very addicting. I just wanted to keep reading it until I was done. I am already reading the next one in the King and Maxwell series, Hour Game, because it was so captivating. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Really over-the-top plot, with one of those psychopaths who can do everything, and never get caught. Who knows, maybe they exist, but we never hear about them because they never get caught. Anyway the silly stuff was mildly amusing so that's fine; what was annoying was the way that the author would shift from knowing the point-of-view character's inner thoughts to not telling us what the same character saw, or said, just to avoid giving us a hint. That's not playing fair with the reader; if such devices are necessary, the plot must be too lame and the author needs to rewrite.

I had it figured out that Ramsey was pulled in for a prank and thought his gun was loaded with blanks. The actual denouement disappointed; I like my plot better. ( )
  muumi | Apr 2, 2014 |
To my father, the greatest inspriration a son could have.
It took only a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest second ever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446614459, Mass Market Paperback)

This explosive novel and instant New York Times bestseller is the tale of two disgraced Secret Service agents racing against time to find the common thread that connects a series of assassinations and abductions. "A fast-paced thriller."--The Denver Post.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:39 -0400)

Two Secret Service agents, one of them retired, have each had similar experiences losing presidential candidates while assigned to protect them. As the two discredited agents enter a maze of lies, secrets, and deadly coincidences, they uncover a shocking truth: that the separate acts of violence that shattered their lives were really a long time in the making --and are a long way from over.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,466,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible