Split Second by David Baldacci

Split Second (2003)

by David Baldacci

Series: King-Maxwell (1)

First Family by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fourth book in King and Maxwell series
    The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fifth book in King and Maxwell series
    Simple Genius by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The third book in King and Maxwell series
    Hour Game by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The second book in King and Maxwell series

English (47)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
Amazing book. I only had a small piece of it figured out by the denouement, and I was proud of having guessed that! I am definitely going to read more of this series. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
An intersting read but I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had not watched the TNT tv series last year. I will have to read a few more of these to confirm a more informed opinion...

3.5 stars ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Great plot, quick read. ( )
  Carole-Ann | Aug 24, 2014 |
Book 1 in the 'King and Maxwell' series: Two different veins of Secret Service protection detail gone wrong, set 8 years apart. In the story, they converge, with a whole lot of red herring thrown in. Was a little draggy at times (compared to the 'Camel Club' series) -- until the connection between the two cases were made; hence the 2-star rating. I have started on the second book in this series (Hour Game) and that one seems to be a whole lot more engaging from the get-go!
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
What can be said about Split Second that hasn't been said already. Plenty, actually. Both good and bad stuff. All the things that are the hallmark of Baldacci are present, but in lesser and more minute forms. Cruel tragic death at the end, check. Serial killing, check. Character the epitome of training, check. Age difference between hero and heroine, check. And twist after insane twist, che-didly-eck.

The motive of the villain is the achilles heel in this brew of a thriller. Very comic book villainy. The journey to the ending was fun. Not so the drowning parts. More so the bleedingly patient investigation. I do love me some mystery. I blazed through the pages in that section. Enjoyed reading the detailed questioning like it was vintage Agatha Christie.

King and Maxwell were different enough from the Camel Club - my favorite series of Baldacci. King is a more ordinary person compared to Oliver Stone. Sean King was downright insulting to Maxwell at many times. And it was not justified. Not even finding a body in your office justifies it of one wants you to believe in the righteousness of the hero. But that was never Baldacci's aim. He wanted to tweak his stock hero and add foibles to the design of the latter. Maxwell is a very likable character. She has enough wits about her to guess the right thing at the right time. A few of her moments are the best parts of the book. King and Maxwell team up for the second book. Can't wait. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jul 3, 2014 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, the greatest inspriration a son could have.
It took only a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest second ever.
Audio Book - unknown if abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446614459, Mass Market Paperback)

This explosive novel and instant New York Times bestseller is the tale of two disgraced Secret Service agents racing against time to find the common thread that connects a series of assassinations and abductions. "A fast-paced thriller."--The Denver Post.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:39 -0400)

Two Secret Service agents, one of them retired, have each had similar experiences losing presidential candidates while assigned to protect them. As the two discredited agents enter a maze of lies, secrets, and deadly coincidences, they uncover a shocking truth: that the separate acts of violence that shattered their lives were really a long time in the making --and are a long way from over.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,476,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible