Split Second (King & Maxwell 1) by David…

Split Second (King & Maxwell 1) (original 2003; edition 2010)

by David Baldacci

Member:Alastair
Title:Split Second (King & Maxwell 1)
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Pan (2010), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, thriller, USA, Secret Service

Split Second by David Baldacci (2003)

First Family by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fourth book in King and Maxwell series
    The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The fifth book in King and Maxwell series
    Simple Genius by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The third book in King and Maxwell series
    Hour Game by David Baldacci (Kaczencja)
    Kaczencja: The second book in King and Maxwell series

English (63)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (66)
I saw the TV series first and enjoyed it.

Sean King is distracted by something for a split second and then a presidential candidate is dead. He loses his career and his planned future and has to start again.

Michelle Maxwell is leading a detail to protect a presidential candidate when she lets him go into a room without her and he disappears, the similarity between her and Sean's cases cause her to reopen the investigation and King has to deal with his issues about it. Key witnesses start turning up dead or missing so the two of them are on a race to discover the truth. It will change their lives.

It was entertaining to be reading this while both a presidential campaign, where one of the candidates is interpreted as suggesting assassination as a solution and while the Olympics are ongoing (Maxwell is an ex-olympian), and to crown things off when Ireland were involved in rowing (and getting medals!), it made it resonate a bit more. I like the story and I find the characters entertaining and I could hear the actors in my mind as the banter started between King and Maxwell. At the same time these are different and the development of the characters over the book is different and will be different from what I see from the brief previews. It will be interesting to see what the author did with these characters, though I still believe that there will be an echo in my head of the actors. It was also interesting to see people change over time and how trauma can change a lot of things about a person. King is a bit annoying in that he doesn't share info but it will be interesting to see how things go.

I'm looking forward to more in this series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 13, 2016 |
good novel secret security 2 Pres candidates killed — many twists

Michelle Maxwell has just blown her future with the Secret Service. Against her instincts, she let a presidential candidate out of her sight to comfort a grieving widow. Then, behind closed doors, the politician whose safety was her responsibility vanished into thin air.

Living a new life on a quiet lake in central Virginia, Sean King knows how the younger agent feels. He's been there before. In an out-of-the-way hotel eight years earlier, the hard-charging Secret Service man allowed his attention to be diverted for a split second. And the presidential candidate Sean was protecting was gunned down before his eyes.

Now Michelle and Sean are about to see their destinies converge. She has become obsessed with Sean's case. And he needs a friend—especially since a series of macabre killings has brought him under suspicion and prompted the reappearance of a seductive woman he's tried hard to forget.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2016 |
My online reading group plans to read the second book in this series in July. Since I do not like to read a series out of order, I decided to read this in preparation. Once I started the book, it seemed somewhat familiar but I was unable to decide if it was because I had already read the book or if I knew things because of the tv series. Turns out, that I had read the book before but so long ago that I forgot most of it...most importantly - the big reveals. :). Despite being a re-read (something I typically don't do), I found the book, an interesting, enjoyable mystery that kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 4, 2016 |
An excellent start to a series!! Sean King is a former Secret Service agent, his protectee was killed on his watch eight years ago, ending his career. Michelle King is a current Secret Service agent whose protectee was kidnapped on her watch. She's been taken off the case, of course, but can't sit idle, so decides to investigate on her own. Other events take place, other bodies turn up, maybe connected, maybe not. Is it possible that Michelle's missing guy is connected to Sean's assassinated guy? They start to work together to try and figure it out. It's pretty action packed with great chemistry between all the characters. Many clues but nothing is clear or certain; just when you think you've got it, you find out you most certainly do not. I recommend to anyone who loves a great mystery who-dun-it type. I will continue with the series for sure. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The world can change forever in a single...SPLIT SECOND!

Michelle Maxwell has just wrecked her promising career at the Secret Service. Against her instincts, she let a presidential candidate out of her sight for the briefest moment, and the man whose safety was her responsibility vanished into thin air. Sean King knows how the younger agent feels. Eight years earlier, the hard-charging Secret Service agent allowed his attention to be diverted for a split second. And the candidate he was protecting was gunned down before his eyes. Now Michelle and Sean are about to see their destinies converge. Drawn into a maze of lies, secrets, and deadly coincidences, the two discredited agents uncover a shocking truth: that the separate acts of violence that shattered their lives were really a long time in the making-and are a long way from over.

My Thoughts:

This is the second time I have read the book and I must say i enjoyed as much or more than the first time around. Split Second is the kind of thriller that keeps you on your toes from the first page to the last. If you are a fan of Mystery and Suspense...I guarantee that you will enjoying watching the good guys try to unravel the tangle of past and present evidence and be sure to stick around for the over the top ending. An added bonus is the knowledge that there are 5 books more in this series. Great job Mr. Baldacci. 5 stars ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, the greatest inspriration a son could have.
It took only a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest second ever.
Audio Book - unknown if abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446614459, Mass Market Paperback)

This explosive novel and instant New York Times bestseller is the tale of two disgraced Secret Service agents racing against time to find the common thread that connects a series of assassinations and abductions. "A fast-paced thriller."--The Denver Post.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Two Secret Service agents, one of them retired, have each had similar experiences losing presidential candidates while assigned to protect them. As the two discredited agents enter a maze of lies, secrets, and deadly coincidences, they uncover a shocking truth: that the separate acts of violence that shattered their lives were really a long time in the making --and are a long way from over.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible