Bourne Identity (Read a Great Movie) by…

Bourne Identity (Read a Great Movie) (original 1975; edition 2005)

by Robert Ludlum

Series: Bourne (1)

Title:Bourne Identity (Read a Great Movie)
Authors:Robert Ludlum
Info:Orion Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (1975)

No Tomorrow by Tom Wood (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: An assassin who is an unlikely hero.

English (106)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (115)
I have a deep and abiding admiration for writers who are strong on plot. I worship writers who are strong on plot and writing. The problem is that the two rarely come in the same package. Ludlum is strong on plot. His literary chops, however, are not as impressive. THE BOURNE IDENTITY is the second book in two months I've picked up because of a movie. (Incidentally these are the two out of only three books in my life I ever picked up because of a movie--the third was HOOP DREAMS, based on the documentary of the same name.) THE BOURNE IDENTITY bears very little resemblence to the movie of the same name, even though my mass market paperback is plastered with Matt Damon's mug. However, it still features an amnesiac assassin (or in this case, would-be assassin), a love interest named Marie, and a long, 600 page chase through Europe and New York City. Ludlum is long on plot and jargon, short on literary skills. There are annoying elements to this book, like the distracting use of italics to indicate that someone is thinking, the repetition of the inane "Cain is for Charlie and Delta is for Cain. Trap Carlos. Kill Carlos"; and the somewhat wooden characters throughout. The moving guys at the end of the novel are the most laughably stereotypical blue collar New Yorkers I've ever read. The word "capische" is actually used. There's a lot of corny love talk between Marie and Jason. But what was most maddening was that the infamous "floating shoulders above a tapered waist" Carlos the Assassin is never captured or actually seen, thereby, of course, leaving the door open for several sequels.

One thing I liked very much about the book, though, was its sense of place. I feel Ludlum did a nice job evoking a sense of place in each of the European cities in which the book is sited. And so, for all my bitching and moaning about certain elements of the book, I--to paraphrase a New York Times reviewer--strained my wrists from turning the pages so fast.
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
A good listen, and exactly what I wanted/expected when I chose it - a classic, maybe iconic, spy thriller. It is different enough from the movie that it kept me entertained, and Bourne's internal dialogue was new (ie not accessible through watching the movies) and interesting. Although sometimes repetitive.

Some of the 'action scenes' of who hit who where sustaining what type of injury were a bit on the tedious side, but if they had been less comprehensively described I might be complaining about not being able to follow them as a listener. I felt the same way about other descriptive elements, like very repetitive references to Marie's appearance, to his sense of fear and disorientation, etc, but overall I appreciate repeated orienting statements for enhancing the audio experience.

A lot of it takes place in Paris, and as usual I find French names challenging as a listener. Despite that I was able to follow without too much effort, and the narration was very good. I would have given this 3.5 stars but haven't figured out how to add half stars. ( )
  JBP11 | Aug 21, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/11825186 ( )
  thisismyline | Jul 5, 2016 |
Very different from the film
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Невероятна поредица и най-важното, което учуди и м​ен, защото не знаех - няма почти нищо общо между д​ействието от книгите и това от филмите, които също​ са прекрасни. Струва си да се прочете трилогията.​ ( )
  Vassil-Koynarev | Apr 29, 2016 |
Roman po kome je snimljen i cuveni istoimeni film sa Mat Dejmonom u glavnoj ulozi. Džejson Born je covek koji nema prošlost, a moguce je da nece imati ni buducnost. Jedino cega je svestan jeste da ga je Mediteransko more izbacilo na obalu i da mu je telo izrešetano. Polako ce shvatiti da se nalazi u zamršenoj slagalici iz koje nece moci da pobegne kao ni od svoje prošlosti. I niko ne može da mu pomogne, niko osim žene koja je nekada želela da pobegne od njega.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Ludlum, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Virtanen, AnttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Glynis
A very special light we all adore.
With love and deep respect.
The New York Times, Friday, July 11, 1975, FRONT PAGE

France expelled three high-ranking Cuban diplomats in connection with the worldwide search for the man called Carlos, who is believed to be an important link in an international terrorist network.
The trawler plunged into the angry swells of the dark, furious sea like an awkward animal trying desperately to break out of an impenetrable swamp.
1980 Die Bourne Identität – The Bourne Identity (Titel der ersten deutschsprachigen Ausgabe: Der Borowski-Betrug)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553260111, Mass Market Paperback)

Jason Bourne.

He has no past. And he may have no future. His memory is blank. He only knows that he was flushed out of the Mediterranean Sea, his body riddled with bullets.

There are a few clues. A frame of microfilm surgically implanted beneath the flesh of his hip. Evidence that plastic surgery has altered his face. Strange things that he says in his delirium -- maybe code words. Initial: "J.B." And a number on the film negative that leads to a Swiss bank account, a fortune of four million dollars, and, at last, a name: Jason Bourne.

But now he is marked for death, caught in a maddening puzzle, racing for survival through the deep layers of his buried past into a bizarre world of murderous conspirators -- led by Carlos, the world's most dangerous assassin. And no one can help Jason Bourne but the woman who once wanted to escape him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

His memory is blank. His bullet-ridden body was fished from the Mediterranean Sea. His face has been altered by plastic surgery. A frame of microfilm has been surgically implanted in his hip. Even his name is a mystery. Marked for death, he is racing for survivasl through aa bizarre world of murderous conspirators--led by Carlos, the world's most dangerous assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,761,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible