A Body in the Bath House by Lindsey Davis

A Body in the Bath House (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Lindsey Davis

Title:A Body in the Bath House
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:Mysterious Press (2003), Paperback, 368 pages

A Body in the Bath House by Lindsey Davis (2001)

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
Marcus and his father break through the cheap mosaic flooring of the bathhouse to discover the source of a nasty smell. The body they discover leads Marcus back to Britain where a palace is being built in Noviomagus Reginorum (present day Chichester.) The Falco series is set during the times of Vespasian's reign (70s AD), and Lindsey Davies researched quit a bit in developing the stories. This time she looks at the architecture and building practices of Ancient Rome. This is not my favorite in the series, so far: There'a a gap of time glossed over between books #12 and #13 (a full year in which the social and family structure of Falco has changed dramatically!); the resolution felt a bit too conveniently; and while not exactly ending on a cliff-hanger, the ending is somewhat unsatisfactory. This book is "paired" with the next book in the series, 'The Jupiter Myth' - so maybe my perspective will change once I've read that one as well. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
Falco gets sent to Britannia to investigate the holdup on a major construction site.
Davis gets to comment on labour relations and ethnic tensions, as well as introducing the usual murder and family problems into the blend . ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Marcus Didius Falco, now middle class with a small country house, finds a body buried on his property, apparently left behind by the two contractors. This leads him to accept a task in Britain for Emperor Vespasian. As always, I am awed by Lindsey Davis' incredible research skills and her way of imparting information about street life in first century Rome. Falco's wisecracking humor is a big plus and solving the mystery, as always, is full of twists and turns. But at least he has his wife and now two children beside him as well as his sister, the target...and that's the word to use...of the ire of Vespasian's treacherous chief spy and her ex-boyfriend, Anacrites. Good reading. ( )
  NickHowes | Sep 20, 2015 |
Both the story and the narration were OK. Nothing special, but not too bad, either. The narrator was quite stiff and my mom commented that he sounded as though he was reading the news, with which she is probably right. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
This is the first book I've read from Ms. Davis and from my understanding this entry into the Falco series is one of the weaker ones. However I still enjoyed it as Davis has a way with character interactions and banter that for me was what made the book. The mystery on the other hand seemed a little lackluster even though everything was tied up in the end the mystery just didn't grip me. Yet just like the dialog Davis has given a believable account of what life was like during the Roman Empire. Overall even with its good point the unappealing mystery makes the book only average but I will be on the lookout for another novel from the Falco series. ( )
  bakabaka84 | May 29, 2013 |
But for Rhea Favonia, we might have lived with it.

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

Ancient Roman investigator Marcus Didius Falco finds trouble on the site of a new palace being built by the king of the Atrebates tribe in distant Britain.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,834,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible