A Body in the Bath House by Lindsey Davis

A Body in the Bath House (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Lindsey Davis

Title:A Body in the Bath House
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:Mysterious Press (2003), Paperback, 368 pages

A Body in the Bath House by Lindsey Davis (2001)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
Marcus Didius Falco, now middle class with a small country house, finds a body buried on his property, apparently left behind by the two contractors. This leads him to accept a task in Britain for Emperor Vespasian. As always, I am awed by Lindsey Davis' incredible research skills and her way of imparting information about street life in first century Rome. Falco's wisecracking humor is a big plus and solving the mystery, as always, is full of twists and turns. But at least he has his wife and now two children beside him as well as his sister, the target...and that's the word to use...of the ire of Vespasian's treacherous chief spy and her ex-boyfriend, Anacrites. Good reading. ( )
  NickHowes | Sep 20, 2015 |
Both the story and the narration were OK. Nothing special, but not too bad, either. The narrator was quite stiff and my mom commented that he sounded as though he was reading the news, with which she is probably right. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
This is the first book I've read from Ms. Davis and from my understanding this entry into the Falco series is one of the weaker ones. However I still enjoyed it as Davis has a way with character interactions and banter that for me was what made the book. The mystery on the other hand seemed a little lackluster even though everything was tied up in the end the mystery just didn't grip me. Yet just like the dialog Davis has given a believable account of what life was like during the Roman Empire. Overall even with its good point the unappealing mystery makes the book only average but I will be on the lookout for another novel from the Falco series. ( )
  bakabaka84 | May 29, 2013 |
Like all of Lindsey Davis' books, this volume is full of wonderful descriptions of life in Imperial Rome. Primarily set in Britain, "A Body in the Bath House" is overly complicated by multiple intrigues, major and petty. Still, not wasted time because of the immersion in Roman life in the provinces. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Mar 28, 2013 |
When I started this book I didn't realise it was in a series. There's a hint of a whole lot of storyline that isn't gone into that it seemed like the author was using up all her ideas in this one book. When I found it was a series I was very pleased as I really enjoyed and looked forward to reading the others. The main character is very likeable without being too perfect. The other characters are really well drawn and the story is great. ( )
  paulmorriss | Oct 14, 2011 |
But for Rhea Favonia, we might have lived with it.

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

Ancient Roman investigator Marcus Didius Falco finds trouble on the site of a new palace being built by the king of the Atrebates tribe in distant Britain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible