The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Godfather (original 1969; edition 1983)

by Mario Puzo

Member:Ambrosia4
Title:The Godfather
Authors:Mario Puzo
Info:Signet (1983), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:1001 books, classic, 1960s, american, america, new york, fiction, historical fiction, thriller, mystery, crime, murder, family, suspense, history, made into movie, paperback, unread

The Godfather by Mario Puzo (1969)

The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (longway)
    Gem of the prairie : an informal history of the Chicago underworld by Herbert Asbury (ashleylauren)
    Leopard in the Sun by Laura Restrepo (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Colombian literature that could be described as "The Godfather" re-written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    Stiletto by Harold Robbins (ashleylauren)
    The Pack by C. W. Schultz (GeekyRandy)
    GeekyRandy: No real relevance. Both are about gangsters and comes from a neutral POV. "The Pack" is also obviously influenced by "The Godfather". I love both books, perhaps you will too.

English (96)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (107)
`The Godfather' must be the very first story I come across where the movie is better than the book.

I like the The Godfather movies and was looking forward reading this so called classic novel. However, I was stunned to find pages and pages of text lacking in several ways. It took me while to find out, but eventually I figured that what's completely missing is *atmosphere*. There's no suspense, no sub plots, all female characters are identically one-dimensional, major problems get solved by conveniently freshly introduced characters and history, ...

The book reads more like a simple listing of facts than as a novel. This makes it `interesting', but not `good'. Two stars is a fairly low rating, but I don't believe this book deserves more. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
The Godfather is probably one of the most interesting books I have ever read. I loved its descriptive nature, masterful storytelling and each character's history. I feel like I know them all, and, worst of all, understand them all - their reasoning for doing terrible things, their beliefs and their choices.

For me, the most interesting parts were the Don's biography and Michael's "coming of age" of sorts.

But what surprised me the most was that The Godfather is not about shooting guns, killing people and executing acts of revenge. These are not nearly the most important things. This is just background. What is it about is family, pride and loyaly, which really strikes home.

It is a very intense story, and I wish it did not end so soon, even though the conclusion was logical, in a coming-a-full-circle sort of way. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I didn't bat an eyelid during the film, but when Sonny dies in the book I cried my eyes out. I can't remember ever crying over a book before. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
one if the best books i have ever read.
the whole plot..so brilliantly executed without even a single loose moment..
the rising tension which u can feel and the cold bloodiness of michael..
a fantastic read ( )
  abhidd1687 | Mar 26, 2015 |
Wow. Incredible book. Made the movie even better. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |

Puzo, Marioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bart, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, Robert J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. - Balzac
For Anthony Cleri
Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court No. 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451205766, Paperback)

The story of Don Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia family, inspired some of the most successful movies ever. It is in Mario Puzo's The Godfather that Corleone first appears. As Corleone's desperate struggle to control the Mafia underworld unfolds, so does the story of his family. The novel is full of exquisitely detailed characters who, despite leading unconventional lifestyles within a notorious crime family, experience the triumphs and failures of the human condition. Filled with the requisite valor, love, and rancor of a great epic, The Godfather is the definitive gangster novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

A searing novel of the Mafia underworld, The godfather introduced readers to the first family of American crime fiction, the Corleones, and the powerful legacy of tradition, blood, and honor that was passed on from father to son. With its themes of the seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and family allegiance, it resonated with millions of readers across the world-and became the definitive novel of the virile, violent subculture that remains steeped in intrigue, in controversy, and in our collective consciousness.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,485,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible