The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Godfather (original 1969; edition 1983)

by Mario Puzo

Member:Ambrosia4
Title:The Godfather
Authors:Mario Puzo
Info:Signet (1983), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:1001 books, classic, 1960s, american, america, new york, fiction, historical fiction, thriller, mystery, crime, murder, family, suspense, history, made into movie, paperback, unread

The Godfather by Mario Puzo (1969)

Recently added bytribalwolf, PriyanjanaP, RonB, Marriner, syahie, Matifli, Maji46, private library, Juliana.Brina
    The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (longway)
    Gem of the prairie : an informal history of the Chicago underworld by Herbert Asbury (ashleylauren)
    Leopard in the Sun by Laura Restrepo (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Colombian literature that could be described as "The Godfather" re-written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    Stiletto by Harold Robbins (ashleylauren)
    The Pack by C. W. Schultz (GeekyRandy)
    GeekyRandy: No real relevance. Both are about gangsters and comes from a neutral POV. "The Pack" is also obviously influenced by "The Godfather". I love both books, perhaps you will too.

English (90)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (101)
რამდენჯერმე რომ წავიკითხო არ მომბეზრდება​ ( )
  buqu | Nov 12, 2014 |
Really enjoyed the added depth and appreciate the screenplay adaptation now. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
Having never watched the movie, I was intrigued by this book because Puzo had been mentioned in a book about Nevada authors/books that take place in Nevada. Years after Puzo was planted into my brain as a to-read author, I found a copy of The Godfather and I am so happy that I did.

I was not expecting much when I started reading, but this book kept me turning pages and hoping for more time in the day to read! I am not particularly into "mobster" or "gangster" movies or books, and so I was totally unprepared to be so quickly and utterly engrossed in this novel. I can only credit this to Puzo's excellent writing--not a new found interested in gangster lore.

However, I didn't get to hear much about Nevada...so I guess I will have to grab the next book!! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Enjoyable read, but I actually preferred the movie. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Mario Puzo's The Godfather is distinguished for a number of reasons, and not just because it spawned two of the greatest films ever made. It's also distinguished because, in my humble opinion, like Peter Benchley's Jaws, it's on another very short list, that is, books where the movies were better than the book.

Americans will always have a fascination with the underworld. If I remember right, this book is based loosely on the Bonanno crime family of New York, who were in the news a lot at that time, as one generation of Bonannos gave way to another. I recall either before or after reading this one, I read Gay Talese's Honor Thy Father, a non-fiction look at the Bonanno family, which I thought was far better (written, anyway) than this.

I think too that like most of us, I should confess I read the book after seeing the movies, so my standalone judgment about the book is no doubt clouded by my appreciation for the films.

I'll admit as well I read this one a l-o-n-g time ago, but I do remember thinking that it was more Arthur Hailey potboiler than hard-boiled crime fiction. I remember it delving into more mundanity in the lives of the Corleone family than the movies did. And I remember it having a lot more Johnny Fontaine than I thought necessary.

But, like Jaws, none of that matters, because it was all corrected (with Puzo's help) in the screenplay of the films. In fact, The Godfather Parts I and II are on another (in my humble opinion) very short list, that is, films where the sequel is better than the original.

I'll close on an even more inflammatory note: The Godfather Part III is not as bad as you remember. ( )
  BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |

Puzo, Marioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bart, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, Robert J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. - Balzac
For Anthony Cleri
Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court No. 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451205766, Paperback)

The story of Don Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia family, inspired some of the most successful movies ever. It is in Mario Puzo's The Godfather that Corleone first appears. As Corleone's desperate struggle to control the Mafia underworld unfolds, so does the story of his family. The novel is full of exquisitely detailed characters who, despite leading unconventional lifestyles within a notorious crime family, experience the triumphs and failures of the human condition. Filled with the requisite valor, love, and rancor of a great epic, The Godfather is the definitive gangster novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:17 -0400)

A searing novel of the Mafia underworld, The godfather introduced readers to the first family of American crime fiction, the Corleones, and the powerful legacy of tradition, blood, and honor that was passed on from father to son. With its themes of the seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and family allegiance, it resonated with millions of readers across the world-and became the definitive novel of the virile, violent subculture that remains steeped in intrigue, in controversy, and in our collective consciousness.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible