The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Godfather (original 1969; edition 2002)

by Mario Puzo, Robert Thompson (Introduction), Peter Bart (Afterword)

Member:paul_01
Title:The Godfather
Authors:Mario Puzo
Other authors:Robert Thompson (Introduction), Peter Bart (Afterword)
Info:NAL Trade (2002), Paperback, 448 pages

The Godfather by Mario Puzo (1969)

The Sicilian by Mario Puzo (longway)
    Gem of the prairie : an informal history of the Chicago underworld by Herbert Asbury (ashleylauren)
    Leopard in the Sun by Laura Restrepo (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Colombian literature that could be described as "The Godfather" re-written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    Stiletto by Harold Robbins (ashleylauren)
    The Pack by C. W. Schultz (GeekyRandy)
    GeekyRandy: No real relevance. Both are about gangsters and comes from a neutral POV. "The Pack" is also obviously influenced by "The Godfather". I love both books, perhaps you will too.

English (133)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (146)
This is a real page turner. It was very well written. The characterizations are excellent, the action is perpetual, the plot clever and interesting. I have seen the movie several times and yet, as always, the book was better. Glamorizing and justifying this way of life keeps me from the fifth star. I can see why this book made the list of "Great American Novels" and recommend this to anyone for an engaging read. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
This is the story of the Mafia family - the Corleones. Don Vito Corleone is the most powerful mafia boss in New York City. Tragedy strikes, and the Don's sons - Sonny and Michael - need to take over the Family operation. The Corleones are desperate to hold on to their power in New York but it proves to be challenging. The Corleone sons try to bring the other mafia Dons together to keep the peace, but find that this isn't as easy as their father made it look.

This was a pretty good book. It is a bit surprising that I have never read it before - considering its popularity. There are a lot of characters, and a lot of side stories that make it a slow read. Don't mistake that for a slow story - it just takes time and patiences - not a story you can really skip or skim over.

I am sure I will read the next several books in the series, but I am not sure I will do that this year. I was not drawn, by the end of the book, to see what came next. So we will see. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Spanish edition of The Godfather
  JRCornell | Dec 8, 2018 |
It's a good thing that I read the book first and then watched the movie. The movie is legendary no doubt, but the book is even better. One of the few books which can give you real goose-bumps. Power, struggle betrayal. Through this book, Puzo created such a strong presence of Don Corleone and make him a legend. A magnum opus indeed. Perhaps one day I could write like he did. ( )
  Varun.Sayal | Nov 14, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The writing style is surprisingly clean and the plotting is great. ( )
  Darragh4444 | Oct 22, 2018 |

Thompson, Robert J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wijk, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. - Balzac
For Anthony Cleri
Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court No. 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451205766, Paperback)

The story of Don Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia family, inspired some of the most successful movies ever. It is in Mario Puzo's The Godfather that Corleone first appears. As Corleone's desperate struggle to control the Mafia underworld unfolds, so does the story of his family. The novel is full of exquisitely detailed characters who, despite leading unconventional lifestyles within a notorious crime family, experience the triumphs and failures of the human condition. Filled with the requisite valor, love, and rancor of a great epic, The Godfather is the definitive gangster novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

A searing novel of the Mafia underworld, The godfather introduced readers to the first family of American crime fiction, the Corleones, and the powerful legacy of tradition, blood, and honor that was passed on from father to son. With its themes of the seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and family allegiance, it resonated with millions of readers across the world-and became the definitive novel of the virile, violent subculture that remains steeped in intrigue, in controversy, and in our collective consciousness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,352,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible