Iron Council by China Miéville

Iron Council (2004)

by China Miéville

Series: Bas-Lag (3), New Crobuzon (3)

Uzumaki, Volume 1 by Junji Ito (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: Mostly for a bit of shared (and horrific) symbolism
    The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two somewhat-westerns featuring political unrest and gorgeously unusual aesthetics, neither book reducible to mere fantastic wish-fulfillment.

English (61)  French (1)  All languages (62)
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books of this series. This one was nowhere near as good, and the world-building wasn't as fresh. If I hadn't loved the first two, this one would have been intolerable and nonsensical. It took a long time to get going, and probably could have been about half as long.

Iron Council is like a New Crobuzon Western, complete with trains and outlaws. The image of the stolen train, with the rail workers building tracks ahead of themselves and pulling the tracks up behind them, is amazing and will stick with me for a long time. ( )
  Gwendydd | Aug 21, 2018 |
Iron Council is the third novel in the Bas-Lag series by China Miéville.

Plot:
Cutter knows he has to find the Iron Council, the perpetually moving train full of rebels and dissenters who fled New Crobuzon. Among those rebels is Judah, who Cutter used to be very close to. And now Cutter has gained knowledge that the New Crobuzon militia is ready to strike against the Iron Council. Meanwhile in New Crobuzon itself, things are brewing, too, and Ori knows he wants to have a part in it, a hopefully very active part.

As usual with Miéville, Iron Council takes work to read and it takes a little time to get into this. But it's worth it to stick with it, as Miéville gives us not only a wonderfully intricate world and complex characters, but also an awesome political slant.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2017/08/26/iron-council-china-mieville/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 27, 2018 |
Still epic, violent, and wondrous. It was harder to stay focused on reading than the previous two, and I think it's because of the shifts in narrators throughout the story. With the world as complicated as it is, changing viewpoints after several chapters kept shoving me out of the story. Still, keep at it. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |
I read this when it came out, but didn't review it for some reason. All I have in my notes is "Original, cool ideas, with meaning and depth. All hail Mieville." Anyway, it's about time for a re-read, especially because my wife hasn't read it yet and this time I'll be reading it to her.

So first I read Perdido Street Station and it was perfect and I loved it more than any other book. Then I read the The Scar and liked it, but was disappointed. Then I read Iron Council and thought that if I would have read it before Perdido Street Station I would have loved it the most. THEN I reread PSS with my wife and thought the first 50-75 pages were REALLY slow, we almost gave up. In the end we both loved it, but thought it could have used an editor. NOW we just finished reading Iron Council and felt the same way. It could have been much shorter and that would have been an improvement. I also felt that after rereading both PSS was better than Iron Council.

Mieville is a force of abnature. His crazy-ideas-per-page ratio is some irrational number that exists both within and without our minds. The puissance of his writing pullulates with thaumaturgy and chymical eructations over a landscape of puna, studded with monadnocks and sarsen blocks.

So yea, make sure you have your dictionary handy before you read his books. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 23, 2017 |
An amazing conclusion (sort of the trilogy inhabits the same space but doesn't need to be read as a trilogy) that achieves not much ultimately. Great world building and imagination. ( )
  brakketh | Nov 14, 2016 |
Aside from his high-end prose style, Miéville’s characters, with their conceits and weaknesses abraded as moral choices play themselves out, secure their author’s place among the top-flight novelists of today.

China Miévilleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauche-Eppers, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drechsler, ArndtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giugliano, NelloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lynch, DamianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Erect portable moving monuments on the platforms of trains.' Velimir Khlebnikov, Proposals
To Jemima, my sister
In years gone, women and men are cutting a line across the dirtland and dragging history with them.

Croubouzon at war \
talks of rebel paradise \
rumor mill alive
(lisa2)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345458427, Paperback)

China Miéville's novel Iron Council is the tumultuous story of the "Perpetual Train." Born from monopolists' greed and dispatched to tame the western lands beyond New Crobuzon, the train is itself the beginnings of an Iron Council formed in the fire of frontier revolt against the railroad's masters. From the wilderness, the legend of Iron Council becomes the spark uniting the oppressed and brings barricades to the streets of faraway New Crobuzon. The sprawling tale is told through the past-and-present eyes of three characters. The first is Cutter, a heartsick subversive who follows his lover, the messianic Judah Low, on a quest to return to the Iron Council hidden in the western wilds. The second is Judah himself, an erstwhile railroad scout who has become the iconic golem-wielding hero of Iron Council's uprising at the end of the tracks. And the third is Ori, a young revolutionary on the streets of New Crobuzon, whose anger leads him into a militant wing of the underground, plotting anarchy and mayhem.

Miéville (The Scar, Perdido Street Station) weaves his epic out of familiar and heavily political themes--imperialism, fascism, conquest, and Marxism--all seen through a darkly cast funhouse mirror wherein even language is distorted and made beautifully grotesque. Improbably evoking Jack London and Victor Hugo, Iron Council is a twisted frontier fable cleverly combined with a powerful parable of Marxist revolution that continues Miéville's macabre remaking of the fantasy genre. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:20 -0400)

"It is a time of wars and revolutions, conflict and intrigue. new Crobuzon is being ripped apart from without and within. War with the shadowy city-state of Tesh and rioting on the streets at home are pushing the teeming city to the brink. A mysterious masked figure spurs strange rebellion, while treachery and violence incubate in unexpected places." "In desperation, a small group of renegades escapes from the city and crosses strange and alien continents in the search for a lsot hope." "In the blood and violence of New Crobuzon's most dangerous hour, there are whispers. It is the time of the Iron Council."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible