Duck by Randy Cecil

Duck (2008)

by Randy Cecil

I liked this book, however, it was not my favorite book to read. I enjoyed the pictures and how they went along with the story. I also liked that some pages had full page pictures and some had partial page pictures. I felt the book was little bit lengthy because it lost my attention in the middle of the book. I thought it had a nice story line though.
I felt the central idea of this book was selflessness and to help others. In the book, duck helps duckling try to fly without even thinking about what could happen to himself. ( )
  marisasantos | Apr 18, 2017 |
A wooden duck longs to fly in this sweet animal adventure, the second of Randy Cecil's tales - following upon Gator - to explore the lives of a group of carousel animals. Lying on the cobblestones and looking up at the stars, Duck dreams of taking wing, of approaching those twinkling lights. And then one day in Spring, a tiny yellow duckling appears, and Duck finds herself with something new to think about: how best to raise a Duckling. Can a wooden Duck teach a flesh-and-blood Duckling how to fly; and will she want to, when the consequences will prove so hurtful...?

I enjoyed Duck, with its poignant tale of love found, then lost, and then found again. The illustrations, which are done in oil paint, and which alternate between full-page spreads and partial page inserts, have a quirky charm that is very endearing. I particularly liked the contrast between the earthy tones used throughout, and the brighter colors of Duck's scarf. I don't know that my appreciation was strong enough to hunt down the first title, but should it ever come my way, I would definitely pick it up! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2013 |
Only a wooden carousel animal, Duck longs to be like all real ducks and fly high in the sky. When a lost little duckling befriends him, Duck thinks beyond himself and teaches his new friend how to be the real duck he so wants to be. This story of longing and selflessness is charmingly written and illustrated , any feelings of sadness and hope and joy. ( )
  ShellyCBuchanan | Apr 6, 2010 |
For Mom, Cindy, and Elieanna, and also for Franny.
Duck was a carousel animal who longed to fly.

The creator of Gator presents an enchanting follow-up about a carousel animal who longs to fly — and a love that is bigger than the skies.

Duck is a carousel animal who spends her days watching flocks of real, flying ducks — and her nights dreaming of soaring among them. Flying is all she can think about, until the day a lost little duckling waddles into her life. Soon Duck and Duckling are inseparable: they walk together, play together, even dream of flying together. Then the time comes when Duckling's yellow fuzz is replaced by long white feathers, and Duck is determined to do whatever it takes to help him learn to fly. But what if helping Duckling find his wings means being left behind?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

Duck happily raises a duckling that has wandered into the amusement park where she is a carousel animal, but finds that she cannot teach what she herself has always longed to do--fly--and sets out to find real ducks to instruct him.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,493,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible