The Fire Eternal by Chris D'Lacey
Recently added bybooksniff, GemmaDilemma, slbxyz, private library, mrskimbarnes, HunterMiddle, blog_gal

The Fire Eternal is the fourth book in the Last Dragon chronicles, by Chris d'Lacey. In the last book, David Rain was supposedly killed by a spear made of ice. Five years later, his partner, Zanna and his daughter, Alexa are living with the Pennykettles, sixteen-year-old Lucy, Liz, and Arthur. At the same time at the Arctic, Ragnar and a group of his companions are journeying to the North Pole. A Scottish man starts to have a relationship with Zanna, but it turns out that he's a reporter investigating David's dissapearence, and Lucy was helping him. Lucy is kidnapped by the Ix, a group of the Fain, and Tam(the Scott) goes after her. It turns out that Ragnar the bear is actually David, who plans to open humans to the problems of global warming.The Ix want to stop him and make people be scared and sad, but their plan is thwarted. In the end, Zanna, Alexa and David are reunited.
This book proved a welcome sequel to Fire Star. I found it quite nice that the Author continued the series, even though it would have been fine by me for him to end the series there. I found the story intruguing in some parts and funny in others. However, I felt like the author thought that the relationship of David and Zanna wasn't important. I don't know the reason for this. I liked this book alot. However, I liked Fire Star more. I hope that Dark Fire will fix all the problems this book had. ( )
  JanW.B1 | Nov 18, 2013 |
The Fire Eternal
“The Fire Eternal” is about David Rain, a bestselling author that went missing five years ago. He was a resident of the Pennykettle house hold. The family might have looked normal, but they were far from it. They were a magical family linked to dragons by blood. Lucy, the main character was part human part dragon, and the cause of David Rain’s disappearance. David was in the polar ice caps trying to defend Lucy when David got speared in the heart. Lucy was still in denial of David’s death even though she saw it happen. Lucy was a computer geek; she was very smart and technical with computers so her dragon had shared characteristics. Her dragon was able to work well with computers and her tail was a USB. The story also includes Zanna, she was a sibyl or a witch that had a very bad temper. She would always lose her temper with Lucy when she talked about David, Zanna’s husband. Then there is Alexa, David and Zanna’s five year old daughter. She was able to do things even her mother couldn’t do with regards to magic.
She could draw things that she had never seen before and get every aspect of that object correct. She was also able to sense that David was alive and that he wasn’t fully human. When he was speared through the heart he transformed into a polar bear. He was then able to switch forms from polar bear to human easily. Special magic put in him allowed him to use the aura or life force to heal bears or make them spirits. He was also the holder of white fire; a fire that didn't burn ice or his followers. It was how he saved or gave life to weak creatures. During his journey to the North Pole he was going to call all the dragons to help him fight the Ix, the aliens. Calling the dragons would have been a very bad idea if Lucy hadn't been abducted by the aliens and told their plan. Then Lucy was forced to make a gargoyle out of dark fire which was going to be used to kill her mother. It almost worked until David came into the garden where the family was fighting the gargoyle.
The family defeated the gargoyle with help from an evil sibyl that helped them because they were all family fighting together. This book was very exciting and action packed. I would recommend this book to my friends or family that like reading about fantasy. It is also very confusing. If you don’t pay close attention to every detail of the book you will get lost. I got lost many times and had to reread some pages so I would get full understanding. The only reason I wouldn’t recommend this book to people is its complex layout. The characters in this book are very loyal. The family will do anything to get David back .This causes some issues in the family. To me it was one of the best books I have read because it is a mix of new technology with old beliefs; which is a quote from Zanna in the book “we live in an age where dragons are real and polar bears rule the arctic and we worry about TV and video games”. Everyone is different so it’s up to you to read it and find out if you like the book. I would read books from this author again if I had a choice. ( )
  DonteR.B4 | Oct 21, 2013 |
Another great book in the Dragons series. I will say that this book is much more complicated than the first, with multiple story lines and several new characters. But I suppose this is characteristic of fantasy series. ( )
  bridgetrwilson | Mar 27, 2013 |
Loved to see the returning characters in one, Zanna, Lucy, Arthur and let’s not forget all the dragon characters. Very creative and imaginative story about dragons and where they come from. They even added some fairies in this time. I most loved about this book is the characters returning to them just felt natural and it did seem like there was more story to be told. I even got the feeling there could be another one in the works. I recommend this book any time a there is a kid asking for a good series and especially if they like fantasy I recommend this at work. I thought this whole series was great and I have even made my husband read them. One thing I didn’t like was how abruptly it ended I was confused when it ended and had to go back and read it again to make sure I had not missed some thing. Other then that is was good ( )
  lavenderagate | Aug 19, 2011 |
David is now one with the polar bears and apparently with his former professor as well! Although I enjoyed reading this book, it was the one that took me the longest to finish. A new mystery surrounds the identity of David Rain. Will Lucy turn to the dark side? What is behind Alexis' powers and insight? How did the monks get overtaken by the Ix? How does Tam fit into the story? This book is full of questions.
A couple of times I felt that the storyline was dragging and I began to lose interest, but I eventually got through it and have begun the next book in the series "Dark Fire." ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Apr 11, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545051649, Mass Market Paperback)

A new magic is stirring in the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling Last Dragon Chronicles!

Five years have passed since David Rain, now a bestselling author, disappeared mysteriously in the Arctic. Slowly the ice is changing; bears are starving; dragons are rising; and the spirit Gaia, goddess of the Earth, grows restless. But all living things may suffer if she takes action. As the weather grows wilder and the ice caps melt, all eyes turn from the north to David's daughter, Alexa. She is the key to stopping it. . . . Can one girl save the world from the forces of evil before she disappears like her father?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:38 -0400)

As the weather grows wilder and the ice caps melt, Arctic bears starve, dragons awake, the earth goddess Gaia becomes restless, and Alexa, the daughter of best-selling author David Rain, uses her special abilities in an attempt to save the world from the forces of evil.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible