Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le…

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963)

by John le Carré

Series: George Smiley novels (3)

6,201169997 (3.98)414
    Call for the Dead by John le Carré (otori)
    otori: Key character Hans-Dieter Mundt first appearance.
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Setting the oeuvre.
    Background to Danger by Eric Ambler (yokai)
    The Deceiver by Frederick Forsyth (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Both novels have a central participant: the Berlin Wall.
    The Secret Pilgrim by John le Carré (Oleg.Gerassimenko)

English (157)  Spanish (3)  Danish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (2)  All languages (169)
Assigned for class—perhaps the beat spy novel I’ve ever read. I’m definitely going to read more Le Carré when I’m done with my assignments. ( )
  DarkSideFloyd9 | Jun 6, 2019 |
This was OK, I suppose. The set up was clever, but once Leamus was in Holland and then East Germany, I began to lose interest. The ending was spoiled for me by the way Liz was written as such a naive character. The conversation between her and Leamus in the car read more like an essay than realistic dialogue. The very ending was satisfactory though. ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 10, 2019 |
I guess this is one of the best spy novels ever written, the character is somehow a looser looking to preserve his small part of happiness in life, but with such a burden of his job that can´t let him be free. ( )
  elicarra | Mar 7, 2019 |
ah Mr. Carre you enchant me ( )
  Paperpuss | Feb 25, 2019 |
This is John le Carré's breakthrough novel, and it is plotted tightly and written with judiciously chosen flourishes. I found myself constantly switching back and forth about who to believe; both sides presented their cases persuasively. The end is one you almost have to read twice before it sinks in, it's that understated.

I've never been particularly happy with the character of Liz Gold in either version (book or movie) because she seems too stereotypically 60s and all too ready to assume domestic duties -- there's one bit where she's spent the day tending to Leamas in his fever and then she thinks "Oh no I should have tidied up!" REALLY?! You've done enough to look after him, don't feel like just because you're a woman you need to tidy the house too. :-/

Smiley is only a peripheral character in this one, in case you're wondering. I personally don't think his series needs to be read totally in order (the Karla trilogy excepted), and in fact if you read this after the Karla trilogy it makes for some interesting foreshadowing. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 30, 2018 |
En este clásico, el autor recrea un mundo jamás conocido antes en la novela de suspense. Con los conocimientos acumulados durante sus años en el servicio de inteligencia británica, le Carré saca a la luz los interiores un tanto turbios del espionaje internacional de la mano de Alec Leamas, un agente británico durante los primeros años de la guerra fría en Berlín. Leamas es responsable de mantener a sus agentes dobles protegidos y con vida, pero los alemanes del Este empiezan a matarlos, por lo que su superior, Control, le pide que vuelva a Londres no para echarle del cuerpo sino para encargarle una misión un tanto complicada. Con esta novela clásica de suspense, le Carré cambió las reglas del juego. Esta es la historia de un último encargo que recae sobre un agente que desea desesperadamente retirarse de su carrera de espionaje.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

The best spy story I have ever read," says Graham Greene, and I am not too far from agreeing with him. Whether "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" is better than Eric Ambler's "Epitaph for a Spy" or Somerset Maugham's "Ashenden" or Mr. Greene's own "The Confidential Agent" is inconsequential. What matters is that it belongs on the same shelf. Here is a book a light year removed from the sometimes entertaining trivia which have (in the guise of spy novels) cluttered the publishers' lists for the past year.

le Carré, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

The American handed Leamas another cup of coffee and said, "Why don't you go back and sleep? We can ring you if he shows up."
"What do you think spies are: priests, saints and martyrs? They're a squalid procession of vain fools, traitors too, yes; pansies, sadists and drunkards, people who play cowboys and Indians to brighten their rotten lives."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802714544, Hardcover)

It would be an international crime to reveal too much of the jeweled clockwork plot of Le Carré's first masterpiece, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. But we are at liberty to disclose that Graham Greene called it the "finest spy story ever written," and that the taut tale concerns Alec Leamas, a British agent in early Cold War Berlin. Leamas is responsible for keeping the double agents under his care undercover and alive, but East Germans start killing them, so he gets called back to London by Control, his spy master. Yet instead of giving Leamas the boot, Control gives him a scary assignment: play the part of a disgraced agent, a sodden failure everybody whispers about. Control sends him back out into the cold--deep into Communist territory to checkmate the bad-guy spies on the other side. The political chessboard is black and white, but in human terms the vicinity of the Berlin Wall is a moral no-man's land, a gray abyss patrolled by pawns.

Le Carré beats most spy writers for two reasons. First, he knows what he's talking about, since he raced around working for British Intelligence while the Wall went up. He's familiar with spycraft's fascinations, but also with the fact that it leaves ideals shaken and emotions stirred. Second, his literary tone has deep autobiographical roots. Spying is about betrayal, and Le Carré was abandoned by his mother and betrayed by his father, a notorious con man. (They figure heavily in his novels Single & Single and A Perfect Spy.) In a world of lies, Le Carré writes the bitter truth: it's every man for himself. And may the best mask win. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:06 -0400)

On its publication In 1964, John le Carre's The Spy Who Came In from the Cold forever changed the landscape of spy fiction. Le Carre combined the inside knowledge of his years in British intelligence with the skills of the best novelists to produce a story as taut as it is twisting, unlike any previously experienced, which transports us back to the shadowy years in the early 1960s when the Berlin Wall went up and the Cold War came to life. When the last agent under his command is killed in Berlin, Alec Leamas, weary and disillusioned, is called back to London by his spymaster, Control, hoping to finally come in from the cold. Instead, Control has one last assignment for Leamas: to adopt the role of a disgraced agent and return behind the Iron Curtain as bait to bring down the head of East German intelligence. Layering plot over plot, le Carre reveals a dirty game of betrayal and assumed identity in which individuals are expendable and neither side is honorable. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold was hailed as a classic as soon as it was published. With an illuminating new foreword by bestselling author Joseph Kanon, it remains one today. A new hardcover edition of the book Graham Greene called "the best spy story I have ever read."… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141194529, 0241962331

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible