Peace by Richard Bausch

Peace (2008)

by Richard Bausch

2101955,654 (4.1)19

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
This book had me so wrapped up that I went 45mph in a 35 and got pulled over yesterday and today I cried as I pulled into the grocery store parking lot. 4 and a half hour audio book that wrenches at your soul and repairs your heart. Beautiful, breathtaking. I picked this up completely on impulse at the library because I was looking for a historical fiction, and I got a book I will read again and again. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
This was a wonderful yet disturbing, spare little novel (maybe technically a novella) set in the waning days of WWII as three soldiers trudge up a Northern Italian mountain, in the rain and snow, to get information about any fleeting German forces. As with the ways of war, there is confusion and nothing is quite what it seems to be. Before they set off on the mission, the soldiers witness what may be the murder of an Italian or German civilian (prostitute) by their Sergeant. Like with life, it happened so fast, all they each have is fleeting images and what might be. So on their journey, they struggle with what they witnessed, whether to report it and how it fits in with their mission. The soldiers really don't care for each other and are suffering in their own ways, yet they must do this mission together. This is a beautifully written book, despite (or because of?) the war's last futile days. I have read many, many books about WWII and from an intimate, soldier-story level, this is one of the best. It is one of those that sticks with you. Recommended. I also want to seek out some of Bausch's other works as he is a great writer. ( )
  CarolynSchroeder | Jul 27, 2012 |
Peace is a terrific novella, one of those books that plunges you into - not just its location, but its totality. Bausch has written one of the best "war novels" I've read in a long time, sidestepping many of the cliches of the genre, whilst making its truths feel fresh, and that they matter, and worth reading again.

Corporal Robert Marson has been asked to perform reconnaissance on a hill covering the German retreat in Italy. He and his companions, the acerbic Private Joyner and tortured Private Asch, are disturbed by the murder of a hapless civilian earlier in the day, and bitterly cold. Led by an old man of dubious loyalties, soaked by icy rain, injured, and terrified of the German troops that may be hiding behind each slope, by time morning arrives, the hill will become a mountain.

The immediacy of Peace is one of its most impressive aspects. The mountainous Italian countryside, the rich loamy mud, the needle-like rain; it's so tactile you can practically smell it. These quotidian concerns are expertly juxtaposed by the fears, hopes, and relationships between the soldiers. The long night is interleaved by Marson's flashbacks to his landing at Palermo and what's he's left behind. These memories contrast sharply with their immediate concerns, which scarcely extend beyond putting one foot in front of the other.

Marson himself is an entirely believable and rounded character. Uncomfortable with what he's doing, homesick, struggling to make sense of the banality of war (both as a totality and its specificity on the hill), and trying to rein in his bickering privates. The strength of Bausch's characterisation is vital to Peace because of its intimacy and short time frame, and he handles it magnificently. Marson's doubts and certainties are shared with the reader and you can feel his emotions as viscerally as the driving rain.

There is a lyricism to Peace, but it's not rhapsodic or florid. Rather, it comes through the banality, and the dignity these characters have through their - and our - common humanity. Their thoughts are only as unique as all our thoughts are; Baush's skill in showing the greatness of that wellspring in just 165 pages is formidable, and the result is a singular, touching work. Great stuff. ( )
  patrickgarson | Oct 24, 2011 |
There really isn't an easy task to be charged with when you're a soldier in enemy territory during World War II, and reconaisance is just as horrible as the rest of them. It doesn't make it any easier when you just watched two of your companions get killed, shot a man yourself, and witnessed your commander kill an innocent woman.

Regardless, Marson is given one simple order. Climb a hill and give a report on what he can see. Like anything in war, the hill turns into a mountain, and he is left not only surmounting a physical mountain but an emotional one as well.

Generally I love these sort of essentially-plotless, character-oriented books, and ones dealing with the psychology turmoil of war are all the better in my book. Peace, however, just didn't do much for me. It's not in any way bad, and I can't think of many negative things to say about it, it just didn't have the emotional impact of many other books of this style have had. It's good, but there are better. ( )
  Ape | May 7, 2011 |
It's a trick. This book is by no means a book about Peace. It is a book about war. It's not like there is some inner peace found at war or that peace is the result it is just a sad book about war. It is very descriptive and violent. It's just all in all a bit depressing. If you like books about war then you will probably love it, but I definitely did not love it. ( )
  weeksj10 | Feb 27, 2011 |
Lo, the moon ascending,
up from the east the silvery round moon,
Beautiful...

And my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans,
My heart gives you love.

-Walt Whitman,
"Dirge for Two Veterans," Drum Taps
With deepest gratitude, love, and admiration to George Garrett,
who for almost twenty years kept after me to write this story.
They went on anyway, putting one foot in front of the other, holding their carbines barrel down to keep the water out, trying, in their misery and confusion-and their exhaustion-to remain watchful.

From the prize-winning novelist and world-renowned short story writer, recipient of the PEN/Malamud Award and the Academy Award from the Academy of Arts and Letters, a powerful novel about war, trust, and salvation that begs to be read in a single sitting.

Italy, near Cassino. The terrible winter of 1944. A dismal icy rain, continuing unabated for days. Guided by a seventy-year-old Italian man in rope-soled shoes, three American soldiers are sent on a reconnaissance mission up the side of a steep hill that they discover, before very long, to be a mountain. And the old man’s indeterminate loyalties only add to the terror and confusion that engulf them on that mountain, where they are confronted with the horror of their own time—and then set upon by a sniper.

Taut and propulsive—with its spare language, its punishing landscape, and the keenly drawn portraits of the three young soldiers at its center—Peace is a feat of economy, compression, and imagination, a brutal and unmistakably contemporary meditation on the corrosiveness of violence, the human cost of war, and the redemptive power of mercy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:18 -0400)

"Italy, near Cassino. The terrible winter of 1944. A dismal icy rain, continuing unabated for days. Guided by a seventy-year-old Italian man in rope-soled shoes, three American soldiers are sent on a reconnaissance mission up the side of a steep hill that they discover, before very long, to be a mountain. And the old man's indeterminate loyalties only add to the terror and confusion that engulf them on that mountain, where they are confronted with the horror of their own time - and then set upon by a sniper." "Taut and propulsive - with its spare language, its punishing landscape, and the keenly drawn portraits of the three young soldiers at its center - Peace is a feat of economy, compression, and imagination, a brutal and unmistakably contemporary meditation on the corrosiveness of violence, the human cost of war, and the redemptive power of mercy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible