Tigerheart by Peter David

Tigerheart (2008)

by Peter David

2001258,750 (3.71)6

This book is awesome. In the "The Big Idea" piece David did for John Scalzi, he says that the reason he wrote this was because, of the many penned Peter Pan sequels, none of them succeeded in capturing the heart and soul of the first book. That's because the first book narrates in a dream-like state, with frequent infodumps, fourth-wall interjections, and a general sense that you are being shown a story, not told.

I think David recaptures this essence, but keeps the plot coherent. I found it delightful that we get to revisit and re-explore some of the lesser known characters, like Tiger Lily, but is mostly about the dichotomy between The Boy and the new main character who finds himself being basically harrassed by Neverland.

But it retains a whimsical nature, a storyline both kids and adults can enjoy, and a child-fueled pace. I heartfully recommend it. ( )
  theWallflower | Oct 30, 2013 |
Tiresome, pointless, and overly precious. I don't really like the story of Peter Pan very much anyway, but this retelling was just unnecessary.

JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
If you haven't read the original two versions of Peter Pan by James Barrie, I'd recommend doing so first. Not required but you'd probably enjoy this gem of a book even more so if you do. Totally love the author's story-telling style and this is a worthy 'sequel' to the original Peter Pans. I think if Barrie were alive today, he'd be quite pleased also with this edition!

Of course, if you don't care for the originals (shame on you!), you might as well skip this one. Either you have the heart for it... or you don't...

So even tho my bookshelves are jammed as it is, I'm making room for this one. It's a keeper! ( )
  PitcherBooks | Jun 9, 2012 |
i really liked the beginning of this book(the reason for 3 stars instead of 2) but once paul reached The Anyplace it was all downhill from there. maybe it's just me though, i don't like the original Peter Pan all that much either. ( )
  angie_ranck | Nov 6, 2011 |
One of the houses my family lived in while I was growing up had a living room (as opposed to the family room) that was free of furniture except for a chair and several bookcases. It served as a playroom for my brother and I. I would often set up cities and neighborhoods for my paper dolls and barbies or my brother's cars (which I loved to play with too). Other times my brother and I would build our own boats and pretend the red carpet was the raging sea. We went on adventure after adventure.

And so it was with those memories in mind that I entered the Anyplace, a world where imagination and belief in a bit of magic are more than just pretend play. When I first heard about Peter David's Tigerheart a couple of years ago, I was excited about reading it. Somehow though I never managed to get to it. Until now. I confess my enthusiasm had waned some and upon reading the synopsis on the back cover, I wasn't sure I was really interested in reading it anymore. The story itself sounded interesting, but the idea of reading a book that is sort of a spin off of another (the author refers to it as a pastiche), more famous story was off putting. Still, I figured I'd at least give it a try and see how far I could get.

I was pulled in from the very first and never looked back from there. This is one of those books that is aimed for all ages. As I read, I could see myself sharing the story with my daughter while at the same time, the novel is written in such a way that appealed to me as an adult as well.

I doubt there are many people out there who have not heard of J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. His story is legendary. Peter Pan is the boy who never grew up. His adventures with Wendy and her brothers are known all over the world. I have never read Barrie's book although I have seen various versions of the story in movie form. Author Peter David's love for the story of Peter Pan began in his childhood and extended into his adulthood. He loved J.M. Barrie's story and decided to continue it in his own way, while at the same time paying homage to the original.

Although the familiar famous names are different in Tigerheart, there is no doubting which character represents the original ones. Captain Hook has become Captain Hack; Gweeny used to be Wendy; Tinkerbell is now Fiddlefix; and Peter Pan has become simply The Boy. The hero of the novel, however, and who the story really is about is Paul Dear.

Paul grew up on stories about the Anyplace and The Boy. His father encouraged him to believe while his mother would rather he grow up and forget all that nonsense. Everything in Paul's experience tells him the stories are true--for he has seen The Boy with his very own eyes. He was spent time with the pixies. When tragedy strikes his family, his world is turned upside down. His mother is severely unhappy and Paul is determined to do what he can to make her happy again. With the help of the pixie Fiddlefix, Paul flies off to the Anyplace one night, much to the chagrin of his mother.

What follows is an assortment of quests and adventures. There are pirates and sirens, a great white tiger, the Piccas, the Bully Boys, shadows, and, of course, The Boy. It a wonderfully fun story, full of humor and hijinks. The novel also has its serious side, however, centering around the themes of growing up, among other things.

In many respects I thought of Paul and The Boy as being two sides of one coin, both so much alike and yet very different. They both love adventure and are brave and imaginative. The Boy and Paul have very different philosophies about growing up. Paul knows it is inevitable and accepts it, even welcomes it. The Boy, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with growing up. He wants to hold onto the magic of childhood forever. He'd been betrayed by an adult and sees adults as the cause of all the world's ills.

The adult in me raised an eyebrow at how the novel came to an end, but the child in me was quite delighted. Still, it seemed fitting for the type of tale it was. Peter David mentioned in an interview that he wrote Tigerheart using a similar voice as the one J.M. Barrie used in his story about Peter Pan, and I'd be curious to know if he succeeded. I haven't read Peter Pan, but now wish I had. It'd be interesting to read the two books back to back. Maybe one day I will. ( )
  LiteraryFeline | Feb 4, 2011 |
To Ariel David, for the title; and to Sir James Barrie, for the inspiration
Young Paul Dear stared at his reflection one evening for a very long time.

For all readers who have ever lent an enthusiastic ear to a wonderfully well told tale, or tumbled gladly into pages that could transport them anywhere, now comes novelist Peter David’s enchanting new work of fantasy. Action-packed and suspenseful, heart-tugging and wise, it weaves a spell both hauntingly familiar and utterly irresistible for those who have ever surrendered themselves to flights of fancy, and have whispered in their hearts, “I believe.”

Paul Dear is a good and clever boy, doted on by a father who fills his son’s head with tall tales, thrilling legends, and talk of fairy-folk, and by a mother who indulges these fantastic stories and tempers them with common sense. But Paul is special in ways that even his adoring parents could never have imagined. For by day, in London’s Kensington Gardens, he walks and talks with the pixies and sprites and other magical creatures that dwell among the living–but are unseen by most. And at night in his room, a boy much like himself, yet not, beckons to Paul from the mirror to come adventuring. It’s a happy life for Paul, made all the more so by the birth of his baby sister.

But everything changes when tragedy strikes, and Paul concludes that there’s only one course of action he can take to dispel the darkness and make things right again. And like countless heroes before him, he knows that he must risk everything to save the day.

Thus begins a quest that will lead Paul down the city’s bustling streets, to a curio shop where a magical ally awaits him, and launches him into the starry skies, bound for a realm where anything is possible. Far from home, he will run with fierce Indian warriors, cross swords with fearsome pirates, befriend a magnificent white tiger, and soar beside an extraordinary, ageless boy who reigns in a boundless world of imagination.

Brimming with the sly humor and breathless excitement of a traditional Victorian bedtime story, deftly embroidered with its own unique wisdom and wonder, Tigerheart is a hymn to childhood’s happiness and heartbreak, a meditation on the love, courage, sacrifice, and faith that shape us and define our lives, and a splendidly rendered modern fable–for readers of any age–that brilliantly proves itself a worthy brother to the timeless classic that serve as its inspiration.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:35 -0400)

A boy who lives in London sets out on an epic quest in a world where anything is possible.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,141,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible