Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds

Century Rain

by Alastair Reynolds

Farthing by Jo Walton (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: If you liked the parts of this novel set in the alternate Paris, try Walton's set in a similar alternate London
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Anonymous user)
    The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds (Anonymous user)

English (32)  French (1)  All languages (33)
Excellent. Great characters, compelling storyline, interesting premise, page-turner. What more could you ask for? ( )
  malcrf | Jul 12, 2019 |
1950s paris jazz scene dan brown style detective story with some astrophysics/time-travel theories tied in. 3.5 stars. much different than the revelation space series. ( )
1 vote pizzadj2 | May 27, 2019 |
This was definitely an interesting read - not what I was expecting at all. Time travel but not the way you expect, an alternate history, nanotechnology, ornery MC's, Paris as you've never seen it, conspiracies and a far flung future with wormholes and nano-viruses and nano-cures and yet still some of the same old human problems. This book starts off with two POVs and I admit it was a bit slow for me in the beginning as it took time for the two lines to converge - but things picked up towards and after convergence and after that it was a rather enjoyable bumpy ride through to the end. Which I found poignant and just on the right note.

My second Reynold's book (the first being his Slow Bullets Novella - which I enjoyed & which prompted me to buy his Revelation Space series on the Google Play store) which I picked up on a whim at the library the other day. I saw this sitting along with Zima Blue & Terminal World and since Zima is a short story collection and having just gone through 2 short story collections it was a toss up between Terminal World and Century Rain (have since found out there was one more title in the system "On The Steel Breeze" but at another branch & it's a Book 2 anyhow so, meh). Somehow the blurb for Century Rain won out over Terminal World - but I will probably pick up Terminal on my next pass (after I finish the Lord of the Rings books I found that is, and a couple more Dark Tower installments to boot, haha).

Honestly I think I enjoy talking about reading books about as much as I enjoy actually reading them. There has got to be something off with that.

Source: Borrowed from the Library
First finished: 3march2017

kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I read this right after Peter Hamilton's double door-stopper Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained -- a battle of modern space opera mavens, so to speak. For much of this novel, Reynolds was in the lead. If less inventive in his future setting, he was much better focused on the narrative flow and much better at character development. For a while the novel alternates between two planets, as Hamilton's books often do. One planet is an future Earth several centuries after the Nanocaust has made it not only uninhabitable but practically unvisitable. We follow Verity Auger, a modern archaeologist, who ends up a pawn between the political machinations of the Threshers (her side) and the Slashers (the other side). The other planet is Earth in 1950's France, where we follow Wendell Floyd, a low-budget gumshoe. It turns out the two Earths are related neither by time nor by parallel universes, but a third option that Reynolds has fun with, even it's more magic than science. It's not too many chapters before these two narratives merge and pretty much stay that way until the end. Unfortunately, things kind of fall apart at about the 3/4 mark. First comes a chapter or so of pure info-dump on the history of the future, specifically Slashers vs Threshers. Then the relationship between Verity and Floyd becomes cliched Hollywood plotting. Worst of all though, the final chapters of the books, just as in Judas Unchained, is nothing more than one long chase, where it all comes down to the final few seconds. And the villain pursued is never seen, just as in Judas Unchained. Let's call it the Sauron factor.

Enjoyable for several hundred page, but I was happy to see it end. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Jun 30, 2016 |
I got about 20% through this. It wasn't horrible, but when I found myself looking around for more housework to do instead of concentrate on the book, I knew it was time to put it down and choose the next book off my TBR mountain. Sorry. Not sure exactly sure why I didn't like it, except that it seems too much like a long-winded mystery/thriller, and I prefer stories that get to the point and I don't like mystery/thrillers.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zahirovic, SandaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Josette
The river flowing sluggishly under Pont de la Concorde was flat and grey, like worn-out linoleum.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013074, Mass Market Paperback)

Something astonishing has been discovered at the far end of a wormhole: mid-twentieth century Earth, preserved like a fly in amber. Somewhere on this alternate planet is a device capable of destroying both worlds at either end of the wormhole. And Verity must find the device, and the man who plans to activate it, before it is too late—for the past and the future of two worlds…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:28 -0400)

"Three hundred years from now, Earth has been rendered uninhabitable due to the technological catastrophe known as the Nanocaust. Archaeologist Verity Auger specializes in the exploration of its surviving landscape. Now, her expertise is required for a far greater purpose. Something astonishing has been discovered at the far end of a wormhole: mid-twentieth century Earth, preserved like a fly in amber. Somewhere on this alternate planet is a device capable of destroying both worlds at either end of the wormhole. And Verity must find the device, and the man who plans to activate it, before it is too late - for the past and the future of two worlds" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,310,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible