Chanur's Venture

Chanur's Venture (original 1984; edition 1985)

In the sequel to Pride of Chanur, Tully returns, and brings with him a priceless trade contract with human space--a contract that could mean vast power, riches, and a mess of trouble for Pyanfar Chanur.
Member:daxxh
Title:Chanur's Venture
Authors:
Info:D A W Books, Incorporated (1985), Edition: First Paperback Printing

Chanur's Venture by C. J. Cherryh (1984)

English (13)  Italian (1)  All languages (14)
This is my second read and I was hoping I'd enjoy it more this time. Unfortunately, no. It's not bad, but it lacks the sophistication and humor and therefore the bulk of the fun of her later works. It may be cool to see how much she improves over the years, or just treat this as a lesser novel with an alien-rich area of space. Above all, it's a merchantman kind of novel. Trade, cultural weirdness, and much enmity with certain species always getting in the way.

Of course, humans are the odd ones out.

And they're back! Or one is, and he's come bearing trade treaty! Enter greed, guilt, and more chase. :)

I think Cherryh is being a bit sly with the text, rewarding careful readers and turning everyone else (myself included) into chumps, however. She's not reinforcing big events with repetition, just slipping them in. :) It's great for her later series because she's got that skill down pat, but here? It tends to confuse or just reward later re-readers. Some re-readers. Me? I kinda wish I like the feel of this series more, but I don't.

I have started enjoying the deeper cultural aspects and oddities of all the aliens, however. The world-building is fun even if you can't hang a whole hat on it.

All in all, though, it reads with much action and adventure, which is kinda funny for aliens wrangling to get off space stations with their cargo intact and setting up back-door deals and alliances. But it's still fun for all that. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
(Review of all four books on Chanur's Homecoming) ( )
  atreic | Jun 1, 2018 |
“Chanur’s Venture” by CJ Cherryh. This is a re-read of the book for me. In this story the Mahendo’sat machinations involves the Chanur space ship to become a courier for Tully and documents that could break open the Compact that allows so many races to trade. Stsho and Tc’a politics are involved as are Humanity’s actions in firing on Knnn ships. The story has action upon the docks of space stations and ends with a rescue mission in motion. This is very excellent space opera. ( )
  John_T_Stewart | May 26, 2018 |
I reviewed this novel, the second in the Chanur series, on SF Mistressworks: https://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/chanurs-venture-cj-cherryh/ ( )
  iansales | Mar 27, 2015 |
Its been a long time since I read a book in a day. This is fun, action packed, has interesting characters, even more interesting aliens. Its not perfect, for example Tully, the human in this book - is written as a bit slow (due to language barrier and other cultural cues) but is explained to be more intelligent than he really is - I wish there was a bit more to Tully. Maybe in the next book?

The Hani are very interesting - They remind me a lot of African Lions. I cannot wait to read more about the methane breathers species, especially the Knnn. I think the Kif are a bit one dimensional, but maybe not.

The series is not as complicated as Downbelow Station, which for me, is good. I get lost in complicated story lines with many characters.

This is science fiction at its best - full of space ships, interesting aliens, and great characters. Highly recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 27, 2013 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cherry, David A.Mapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poyser, VictoriaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Diane Nancy
The enounter of old friends was common enough on Meetpoint Station, where half a dozen species came to trade; and one such old friend came walking Pyanfar Chanur's way when she had no more than put The Pride in dock.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible