The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman

The Brutal Art (2008)

by Jesse Kellerman

The Art of Murder by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Headlong by Michael Frayn (Cecilturtle)
    Sunstroke by Jesse Kellerman (orange_suspense)
    orange_suspense: Although the plots are very different, this novel is also a slowly told suspense thriller.

English (30)  French (7)  Dutch (2)  All (39)
Stange drawings by Victor Cracke ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
A terrific book about art, a savant type artist and the dynasty of a family. ( )
  skraft001 | Apr 30, 2017 |
Excellent Read - makes you want to read on to find all the answers. Good surprise in final outcome. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The audio was great---read by Kirby Heyborne. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 15, 2016 |
The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman - Good

This seemed to have such an unprepossessing start - I suspect because I'd enjoyed the previous book so much and it was a completely different genre & style and I, pretty much, put that down and picked this up. Two chapters/a couple of dozen pages in and I was already moaning online about it.

How wrong I was. So glad I persevered, by heading for my 50 page checkpoint as I really enjoyed this once I got into it.

New York in the 1990s and art dealer, Ethan Muller, comes across a cache of art in an apartment in a run down neighbourhood. Disturbing, yet brilliant, he displays some of the pieces and then things really begin as he tries to find the mysterious artist and solve a thirty year old mystery.

Interspersed with this, is the story of how his ancestors came to the USA, and how the family fared, until we get to the present day and see how the past impacted the future and all the threads are pulled together.

Glad I persevered and glad I have another by the author on Mount TBR. Will try and get to it soon.
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Jesse Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sibony, JulieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sims, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoijink, BobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TrevorNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
True art is always found where we least expect it, where nobody is thinking about it or saying its name. Art hates to be recognized and greeted by name. It flees instantly. - Jean Dubuffet
. . . a mirror of smoke, cracked and dim in which to judge himself . . . - The Book of Odd Thoughts 13:15
To Gavri
In the beginning, I behaved badly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399154590, Hardcover)

Harlan Coben on The Genius
Harlan Coben is one of the virtuosos of the modern thriller. Each new novel hits the top of bestseller lists across the world, and he has become the first author to sweep the Edgar, Shamus, and Anthony awards. Beginning with his acclaimed Myron Bolitar series (including the recent Promise Me), Coben soon branched out into stand-alone thrillers that have made his name as a master of clockwork suspense, including his latest, Hold Tight, which brings his trademark thrills into the most basic dilemmas of the modern suburban family.

"In the beginning, I behaved badly."

That’s how the uber-talented Jesse Kellerman opens up his newest novel, The Genius, and right away, he has you.

I won’t give you a long plot summary because others will do it better, but briefly: A young art dealer named Ethan Muller manages to get hold of a treasure trove of original art after the artist, an unknown shut-in named Victor Cracke, disappears. The first sign of trouble crops up when a retired cop recognizes one of the figures as being a boy who died some 40 years earlier. Ethan's life spirals out of control from there. Before the story is over, Ethan will learn to question everything about his "wonderful" discovery--as well as his own family's destiny.

Yes, the book is gripping and compelling and Ethan Muller, the narrator, is wonderfully wry company, but what truly separates Kellerman from the pack is his prose. Simply put, he is a wonderful writer. He has the ability to make everything seem, well, true. Every scene has that ring of authenticity that’s so elusive in fiction. I bought everything that Ethan did--and loved the flashbacks showing how the Muller family went from poor immigrants to real-estate tycoons.

I love books where past crimes will not stay buried. The web of deceit in The Genius stretches back four decades, but it is still claiming victims. Jesse Kellerman tightens the noose slowly, and we his readers can do nothing but turn the pages.

I have been a fan since his debut, Sunstroke, but he's getting better and better. If you've already read Jesse Kellerman, don't waste anymore time reading this review. If you haven't yet discovered his work, The Genius is the place to begin--and not a bad description of the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:26 -0400)

Ethan Muller is struggling to establish his reputation as a dealer in the cut-throat world of contemporary art when he is alerted to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: in a decaying New York slum, an elderly tenant has disappeared, leaving behind a staggeringly large trove of original drawings and paintings.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,031,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible