Coyote: A Novel of Interstellar Exploration…

Coyote: A Novel of Interstellar Exploration (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Allen Steele

Series: Coyote (1)

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Coyote: A Novel of Interstellar Exploration
Authors:Allen Steele
Info:Ace Hardcover (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, Coyote, RT

Coyote by Allen Steele (2002)

386 pages Science fiction. America has been taken over by a religious right wing oppressive government.This government has built Earth's 1st space ship capable of reaching a worlds that humans can live on. This is how the book opens up. The next 350 pages tell a gripping story of hijacking and exploration. Allen Steele writes one heck of a yarn. This book kept me involved from the 1st to the last page.A complete story in and of its self , this book is the 1st of 3 books that explore the ideas of Freedom , revolution, and colonization.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
In a repressive America, beggared by their despotic dream to plant the seeds of zealotry on a new world, a group of dissident intellectuals dream a dream of their own: to steal the colony ship and start the new world themselves, even though none of them have been trained for the task.

That's how this story begins, the first in this series of connected short stories. In the ensuing stories, we journey across the stars with the escaping colonists and then live with them throughout the first few years of life on their new planetary home, dubbed _Coyote_.

It's a good story with some interesting developments but it never really grabbed me. I think the structure of serial short stories prevents it from having a developmental story arc that emotionally engages us from start to finish, and the lack of a clear and consistent protagonist makes it harder to stay connected to the drama as it unfolds.

If you like serialized short stories, or colony-world adventures, this should be right up your alley. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
Allen Steele obviously has a political ax to grind. It's too bad it colors his ability to write a great story and hurts the plausibility of the characters. That's why it gets only three stars.

"Coyote" is, as Steele bills it, a story of interstellar colonization. Fleeing political oppression, the colonists hijack a cutting edge space ship destined for the stars, and escape to Coyote, moon of a ringed Jovian size gas giant orbiting a distant star. Although a bit disjointed because the story is really a series of short stories from the various perspectives of the colonists, the format works to build an intriguing adventure. However, as creative as his ideas are, I found the understanding and portrayal of human nature to be, at points, a thin on reality, or at least plausibility. Steele seems to get how individuals would react, interact, especially young and teens. However, his villains are caricatured, his politics lack reality, and his understanding of the nuance of human relations, as well as of the rational that motivate them are simplistic and superficial. The superficiality shakes the necessary suspension of disbelief, and I occasionally found myself saying, out loud, "yeah right."

The hardest thing to swallow was the political ax/commentary that Steele seems to want to grind. The political oppression fled by the colonists is a future world where gun-toting-stay-out-of-my-business conservatives have been transformed into big-brother-is-watching dictators. In contrast, [spoiler alert:] when the second wave of colonists catch up with the first wave, several years after their arrival, it is a Utopian version of social collectivism that has overthrown the oppressive conservatives that makes it possible.

Yeah, go figure. I don't know what world Steele lives in right now, either, let alone how he envisions that it gets to where it does fifty years from now.

All that aside, I sure did enjoy the science and the fiction part of it. Once the opening chapter is out of the way, the story moves without more than occasional political comment, and the colonists, upon arrival on the new planet, form a more libertarian and democratic lifestyle that harks back to what might be more plausible from Steele's characters and today's reality.

I'll probably read the sequels. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
Coyote is a novel told in 8 parts. I have read a couple of short stories set in the Coyote milieu and other short stories written by Steele and enjoyed them quite a bit so I wanted to tackle the novels at some point. Coyote is built off of a number of stories previously published, and I had some old familiarity from having read parts of this in some issues of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine a decade ago. It was much better reading this in sequence.

Overall I consider this an average novel, but I enjoyed this book well enough that I want to read the later novels in this series. The episodic nature of this story made it very easy to read. This is basically a space colony story with political overtones, especially in the beginning. The story begins in the year 2070. The United States no longer exists, having had a "second revolution" and is now fractured. Looking at some reviews by others on the net I see a huge variation in likes and dislikes. Some favorite parts are what others hate. Some people are really bent out of shape by some of the politics in the book, or at least what was implied. Note to self: When I write my great science fiction novel I will not name the space shuttles in my totalitarian police-state country the "George Wallace" or the "Jesse Helms". I will also not rename Cape Canaveral/Kennedy "Gingrich".

I won't discuss the storylines. Some of the characters in the story are a little cartoonish, and the character development for some was OK and for several here really failed for me, which caused me a bit of trouble keeping track of who was who. I liked the first part of the novel, before the starship arrives at the planet Coyote the best, and felt it bogged down quite a bit with the initial colonization. I did find most of the storylines interesting and involving as a reader. The plusses in this book are more than the few minuses. There are some surprises that stretch things a bit, but I'm glad I read it. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 31, 2012 |
for Martha Millard - Literary agent, good friend
This is the story of the new world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441011160, Mass Market Paperback)

The national bestselling story of Earth's first interstellar colonists-and the mysterious planet that becomes their home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:30 -0400)

Story of Earth's first interstellar colonists and the mysterious planet that becomes their home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,911,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible