Coyote Rising by Allen Steele

Coyote Rising (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Allen Steele

Series: Coyote (2)

Member:RBeffa
Title:Coyote Rising
Authors:Allen Steele
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned, community library

Coyote Rising by Allen Steele (2004)

Recently added bysmithsffs, private library, Hanno, drcmg, thegreattim, parsec-sff, GMGee, tsangal, jim.antares

Coyote Rising is the second in a series, following the novel "Coyote". Like Coyote, this story is told in eight parts, related stories about interplanetary colonization and revolution. I decided to read this right after finishing Coyote so that characters and events would be fresh in my mind. I found the ending to Coyote a little odd - Coyote Rising clarifies it considerably but doesn't address a point that really bothered me. Four huge colony ships have been launched from earth to travel 46 light years, approximately 200 years after the first. There has been no word from the original starship back to earth since it hasn't even reached the intended planet Coyote yet. They have no idea if the mission was successful or even reached the destination, and yet, huge costs and efforts have sent these new colony ships and they intend to take over and benefit from the efforts of the original colony. This concept is basic to the story told in this book and to me is just completely irrational.

So, I had to really suspend disbelief here on the underlying premise. Moving past that, I think Coyote Rising is a much better story than Coyote, which suffered from, among a few other faults, too much teen-aged angst which is thankfully absent here. There is one section of this story that I think rather magnificient. I had read it several years ago and really liked it - in fact it the reason I wanted to read this series of Coyote novels. The internal story chapter is called "The Garcia Narrows Bridge", and reading it again within the context of the overall story heightens the power of it. It is an homage to "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and very powerful.

Those readers who thought right wing politics were skewered in the first book should be happy that left wing social collectivism gets skewered even more here. I enjoyed the stories in this followup novel. I will be reading more. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 4, 2012 |
Continuing the series. It really reads like a series of novellas, but they are closely enough linked that it doesn't trip my I-don't-like-short-stories trigger. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
good story, part 2/3 ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
The second collection of Coyote stories is actually better than the first. While it has no stories on the standout level of 'Stealing Alabama' or 'The Days Between', this is much higher quality on average. A lot of it is the next half star down.

They have a handy looking planet here, so Earth takes an interesting, and more ships with troops come out with the objective of taking over for themselves.

A group of hardened colonists aren't that easily taken, however, and Robert E. Lee knows how the minds of people like this might work, having been married to one.

Time for some revolutionary action to begin.

A really excellent collection, indeed.

Coyote Rising : The Mad Woman Of Shuttlefield - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Benjamin The Unbeliever - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : The Garcia Narrows Bridge - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Thompson's Ferry - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Incident At Goat Kill Creek - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Shady Grove - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Liberation Day - Allen M. Steele
Coyote Rising : Home Of The Brave - Allen M. Steele

Not too chicken for music to return.

4 out of 5

Batman Coyote sex kult freezeout.

3.5 out of 5

Poetry of the River Kwai not to Matriarch's liking. All fall down.

Coyote revolution.

3.5 out of 5

Double agent reunion Diablo demolishing.

4 out of 5

Revolution child transfer local life discovery, with batman.

Returning Alabama.

Exploration Team.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/06/coyote-rising-allen-m-steele.html ( )
  bluetyson | Jun 26, 2008 |
Only six years after the first colonists, who fled an American dictatorship, land on Coyote, they are faced with the landings from two more ships from Earth. They're from the Western Hemisphere Union, which means to establish sovereignty over the colony. The people of Coyote have other ideas about that.

Like its predecessor, pieces of this novel appeared in Asimov's Science Fiction magazine, in this case between May 2003 and December 2004. ( )
  Moby46 | Nov 17, 2007 |
for Ginger Buchanan who was present at the creation of the world
"Have you ever been to Earth?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441012515, Mass Market Paperback)

The continuing epic of Earth's first space colonists--and their fight against a repressive government to reclaim their world in the name of freedom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

For the colonists on Coyote, the arrival of additional colonists, along with a repressive government, forces them to flee to new territory, but the harsh regime of the colonial governor threatens to engulf both sides in a full-scale rebellion.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible