Coyote Rising by Allen Steele

Coyote Rising (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Allen Steele

Series: Coyote (2)

Member:RBeffa
Title:Coyote Rising
Authors:Allen Steele
Info:Ace Hardcover (2004), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, community library
Tags:read in 2012

Coyote Rising by Allen Steele (2004)

382 pages Science fiction. This book is a good addition to the Coyote series. The story address the questionto what lenght will someone go to be free? Can social collectivism work on in a frontier society? These questions are addressed while not skimping on action and character development. I like this universe and cannot wait for the next work inthis series.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Coyote Rising is the second in a series, following the novel "Coyote". Like Coyote, this story is told in eight parts, related stories about interplanetary colonization and revolution. I decided to read this right after finishing Coyote so that characters and events would be fresh in my mind. I found the ending to Coyote a little odd - Coyote Rising clarifies it considerably but doesn't address a point that really bothered me. Four huge colony ships have been launched from earth to travel 46 light years, approximately 200 years after the first. There has been no word from the original starship back to earth since it hasn't even reached the intended planet Coyote yet. They have no idea if the mission was successful or even reached the destination, and yet, huge costs and efforts have sent these new colony ships and they intend to take over and benefit from the efforts of the original colony. This concept is basic to the story told in this book and to me is just completely irrational.

So, I had to really suspend disbelief here on the underlying premise. Moving past that, I think Coyote Rising is a much better story than Coyote, which suffered from, among a few other faults, too much teen-aged angst which is thankfully absent here. There is one section of this story that I think rather magnificient. I had read it several years ago and really liked it - in fact it the reason I wanted to read this series of Coyote novels. The internal story chapter is called "The Garcia Narrows Bridge", and reading it again within the context of the overall story heightens the power of it. It is an homage to "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and very powerful.

Those readers who thought right wing politics were skewered in the first book should be happy that left wing social collectivism gets skewered even more here. I enjoyed the stories in this followup novel. I will be reading more. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 4, 2012 |
Continuing the series. It really reads like a series of novellas, but they are closely enough linked that it doesn't trip my I-don't-like-short-stories trigger. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
good story, part 2/3 ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
for Ginger Buchanan who was present at the creation of the world
"Have you ever been to Earth?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441012515, Mass Market Paperback)

The continuing epic of Earth's first space colonists--and their fight against a repressive government to reclaim their world in the name of freedom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

For the colonists on Coyote, the arrival of additional colonists, along with a repressive government, forces them to flee to new territory, but the harsh regime of the colonial governor threatens to engulf both sides in a full-scale rebellion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,503,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible