Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson

Darwinia

by Robert Charles Wilson

English (24)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
I am a fan of Robert Charles Wilson, but it has been a while since I read any of his books. This one took me a while to get into, but I think that may have been as much my rusty reading habits as the slowness of the build-up. It was worth sticking with it -- Robert's writing style is fluid, illustrative but not flowery. There are moments when I just feel deeply those precious little moments, and I really love that gift he gives the reader.

The story was poignant, and the ending really worked for me. His explorations of death and the afterlife made me wonder, and I kind of liked where he took things in this fantasy. As someone who has lost a dear family member, I appreciate being reminded of how precious a life is no matter how short. We need to remember things, preserve those memories...and I also wonder if immortality can exist through that preservation. This was a unique book, but classically Robert Charles Wilson in that the protagonist is a wanderer. ( )
  CarreonLib | Apr 17, 2014 |
Well, along about 1892, the American Frontier, in the Classic sense was closed. There was no longer a place on the map where you head out for, in Twain's phrase. Robert Wilson's book has a really creepy answer to this problem , if you aren't an American. We'll drop a part of an Alien planet, with its ecosystem intact, and wipe out Europe!
No other people to contest the fate of the world as anything but an American plaything, until say the 1960's.
And even more frontier!
What ever other virtues this book has that was the overriding impression I got from this effort! Made me mad, I confess.
This is American Exceptionalism gone riot! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 19, 2013 |
started out great, whimpered out for me once the weirdness started. I finished it but just barely and with little enthusiasm.
  mcnabbp | Aug 7, 2013 |
I liked the excitement and intrigue of the story, as well as the constant undertones of religion vs. science. But the alien plot was a little hard to follow, and the ending seemed a bit unreal to me. ( )
  lhlogan1 | Aug 7, 2013 |
In 1912, a Miracle occurs: all of a sudden, Europe is replaced by an equivalent but distorted region with familiar geography but a different set of creatures who seem, from fossil evidence, to have evolved naturally along alternate paths. The people of Europe are gone, but people elsewhere retain memory of its previous existence. American Guilford Law was 14 years old at the time of the Miracle, and while prevailing opinion presumes an act of God, he is convinced of a scientific explanation. In 1920, he joins an expedition up the former Rhine River as its photographer, bringing his wife and daughter as far as the frontier town of New London. The expedition disappears, his wife and daughter depart for civilization. We know he survived because it’s his POV. Weirdnesses creep in, dreams of? conversations with? an alternate self who died in war, and interspersings of other characters with similar experiences. As decades go by, he realizes that he is not affected by injury or aging. I read this while I was sick, and wasn’t paying sufficient attention; I was confused for stretches, and not engaged by the snippets through time. I got the gist, but didn’t care for the shifting scale; I was in it for the expedition and alternate evolution; I tend to tune out when it gets galactic. Reviews are mixed, so I’m not sure how much was me and how much was flaw in the novel. I doubt that I’ll try this one again, but the author’s ideas and characters have a good enough track record that I’ll read others.

(read 11 Mar 2013)
  qebo | Jul 7, 2013 |

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To PNH and TNH, for patience and good advice; Shawna, for believing in my work; and unindicted co-conspirators everywhere (you know who you are).
Guilford Law turned fourteen the night the world changed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812566629, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1912, the entire European continent and all of the United Kingdom mysteriously vanished during the Miracle, replaced by an alien landscape known as Darwinia. Darwinia seems to be a slice of another Earth, one that diverged from our own millions of years ago and took a separate evolutionary path. As a 14-year-old boy, Guilford Law witnessed the Miracle as shimmering lights playing across the ocean sky. Now as a grown man, he is determined to travel to Darwinia and explore its mysteries. To that end he enlists as a photographer in the Finch expedition, which plans to steam up the Rhine (or what was once the Rhine) and penetrate the continent's hidden depths as far as possible. But Law has brought an unwanted companion with him, a mysterious twin who seems to have lived--and died--on an Earth unchanged by the Miracle. The twin first appears to Guilford in dreams, and he brings a message that Darwinia is not what it seems to be--and Guilford is not who he seems to be. --Craig Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Wilson joins the Tor list with a breathtaking novel about a very different 20th century that takes its protagonist to a shattering revelation about mankind's destiny in the universe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,604,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible