Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

Dead Is the New Black (edition 2008)

by Marlene Perez

Series: Dead Is (1)

Member:brandy124
Title:Dead Is the New Black
Authors:Marlene Perez
Info:Graphia (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:realistic fiction

Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez

A book with an interesting idea but a less than polished execution.

The Good: The idea of a family of psychics and one "norm" (aka no woo-woo powers) investigating mysteries has excellent potential. Daisy, the "norm", seems a typical teenage who just doesn't feel as if she fits in with her powerful psychic sisters and mom. Feeling like an outcast is a good theme for a YA novel even if it has been done over and over again.

The Bad: Touting this book as a paranormal mystery is misleading. The mystery is very underdeveloped and has no depth. There were only a few viable suspects and Daisy jumps to conclusions to the point of suspecting each of them at one time or another based on nothing more than their attitude and her teenage intuition. Also, the world building is poorly constructed with no real rules to Perez's Nightshade world. Daisy's acceptance in werewolves and vampires is instantaneous with no explanation as is her Frenemy, Samantha's acceptance of the same thing. Readers have to conclude that because Daisy and Samantha live in a world of psychics there must be other things out there too.

And The Ugly: Because this book is quite short (less than 200 pages) one would expect that the author would make every page count. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. The storyline feels scattered and is full of unnecessary tangents. A lot of time is spent on Daisy's culinary expertise yet she spends very little time investigating the "deaths". I put deaths in quotes because the dead girls seem to come back to life with no explanation only to have everything wrapped up very quickly in a happily ever after bow where no one actually died. Maybe. I'm still not clear on that issue nor am I 100% clear why so much time was wasted on Samantha's "Dead" look when it had no impact on the story.

In a Nutshell: Overall I didn't completely hate this book. As I mentioned first, it did have potential. I'll continue on to the second book in the series to see if Perez can reign in some of her ideas and create a more cohesive storyline. Even though I will continue on to the second book in this series I don't think I would recommend this book to my friends. I'd go as far as saying "Read at your own risk." ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
It wasn't that this was a bad story, per se. It was more that it fell out of my mind completely the moment I put the book down ... which isn't much incentive to pick it back up again.
There are at least 2 more of these books in the library; maybe I'll give book 2 a chance before I come down on the series too hard. Because who know, maybe I was just tired each time I read it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
A cute but silly book for young teens. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
It's the Clique, paranormal style. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
A cute story that has vampires and cheerleaders. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
To my agent, Stephen Barbara, who got the party started
Being dead became fashionable approximately forty-five minutes after Samantha "the Divine" Devereaux came back from summer break.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152064087, Paperback)

Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the pyschic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom-shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case!

Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can’t help but suspect head cheerleader Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new “look.” Samantha appears a little . . . well, dead, and all the most popular kids at school are copying her style.

Is looking dead just another fashion trend for Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

While dealing with her first boyfriend and suddenly being pressed into service as a substitute cheerleader, seventeen-year-old Daisy Giordano, daughter and sister of psychics but herself a "normal," attempts to help her mother discover who is behind a series of bizarre attacks on teenage girls in their little town of Nightshade, California.… (more)

Marlene Perez is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible