Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD! by Terry…

Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD!

by Terry Brooks

2,971451,927 (3.6)1 / 97
1 (9) adventure (9) Brooks (14) dragons (15) ebook (22) fantasy (754) fantasy fiction (10) fiction (236) hardcover (17) high fantasy (7) humor (47) Kindle (21) Landover (172) magic (48) mmpb (7) novel (16) own (18) paperback (29) parallel worlds (9) pb (7) read (38) science fiction (27) series (46) sf (14) sff (41) signed (12) Terry Brooks (15) to-read (28) unread (26) wizards (13)
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (wolfjack)
    wolfjack: I believe anyone who enjoys a light read involving those of our world entering a fantasy land of magic and battle will also love this book.
    A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)
    A Princess of Landover by Terry Brooks (Scottneumann)
    Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors by Joel Rosenberg (wolfjack)
    The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)
    Hard Sell by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)

I loved the concept of the book, but I gave up after 70 pages. It was dull -and the main character was inconsistent and I couldn't bring myself to care much about him either. ( )
  JudithProctor | Jan 6, 2014 |
Read it as a kid and I remember liking it...should have left a good thing lie. I didn't realize when I was younger how flat and snotty Ben Holiday is. ( )
  Alliebadger | Dec 4, 2013 |
Magic Kingdom for sale/sold is an easy to read fantasy book about a man, Ben Holiday, who buys the magical kingdom of Landover. Sceptical at first, the soon finds that the kingdom he bought really is magical, but in utter disarray after the last king died. His task is to restore the kingdom with only a small group of servants consisting of a dog, two kobolds and a wizard.

The book is fast paced, maybe at times too fast as it seems like the author retold major events in too quick a manner. However, this quick pace does make the story full of action.

Brooks' writing style is very nice; not too hard and not too easy. He describes events and sceneries in an eloquent and entertaining manner.

The characters in the story all have interesting characters and Brooks really makes them come to live.

Overall, it was a very entertaining story and I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series. ( )
  vanhuchri | Nov 9, 2013 |
A fantasy come to life - a kingdom for sale, one that comes with fairy creatures and magical powers! When Ben Holiday buys it, he gets everything he expected and the catch that came with it. I enjoyed these novels, who doesn't want to be king of a fairy kingdom? Like the Shannara books, the world is limited (who could afford one that wasn't?) and the characters are a bit limited too, but they are engaging and the books are well written and interesting. I find that Brooks is a sneaky good writer, sometimes his prose is surprisingly good. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 4, 2013 |
I didn't care for it much. It was a slow read, and the characters weren't compelling enough to carry the story. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
The Witch of the North seemed to think for a time, with her head bowed and her eyes upon the ground. Then she looked up and said, "I do not know where Kansas is, for I have never heard that country mentioned before. But tell me, is it a civilized country?"

"Oh, yes," replied Dorothy.

"Then that accounts for it. In the civilized countries I believe there are no witches left, nor wizards, nor sorceresses, nor magicians. But, you see, the Land of Oz has never been cvilized, for we are cut off from all the rest of the world. There we still have witches and wizards amongst us."

L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz
For Kennard, Vernon, Bill, John and Mike

It happened something like this...
The catalog was from Rosen's, Ltd.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345317580, Mass Market Paperback)

After Ben Holiday purchased Landover, he discovered the magic kingdom had some problems. The Barons refused to recognize a king and the peasants were without hope. To make matters worse, Ben learned that he had to duel to the death with the Iron Mask, the terrible lord of the demons--a duel which no human could hope to win....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Ben Holiday purchases the magical kingdom of Landover for a million dollars only to learn that Iron Mark, lord of the demons, expects him to fight a duel to the death.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible