Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD! by Terry…

Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD!

by Terry Brooks

Series: The Magic Kingdom of Landover (1)

3,583552,181 (3.62)1 / 103
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (wolfjack)
    wolfjack: I believe anyone who enjoys a light read involving those of our world entering a fantasy land of magic and battle will also love this book.
    A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)
    A Princess of Landover by Terry Brooks (Scottneumann)
    Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors by Joel Rosenberg (wolfjack)
    The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)
    Hard Sell by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)

Nostalgic reads are always dangerous territory. To be honest, I was willing to risk this reread nuking any fondness I had for the book. When I first read this at 13 or 14 I remember thinking it was a cool idea and that it had humor -a talking dog, haw!- but was disappointed even then that it had left so much left unsaid by the end of the book. I'd been warned away from the Sha na na books already, and when a not-very-serious writer decides to kick back and knock off some light-fare the results aren't pretty. Comedy is hard. At the time I first read this the sequels were unavailable to me and so I resolved to read the sequels if and when I came across them. It took over a decade, but I came across not only a copy of Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold!, but the first two sequels, too. It was fate. It was a new year. I took the plunge.

Ben Holiday is a widower and a successful litigator in Chicago when he comes across an unusual ad in Rosen's Christmas Wish catalog. A Magic Kingdom for Sale? Despite his doubts, Ben pursues the ad and, desperate to leave behind memories of his dead wife and child and the frustrating circles of law he buys Landover. Of course, things are not quite as advertised.

The characters are transparent and the magic kingdom threadbare, as a young reader I was happy to fill in personality gaps and overlook the spotty details, but as an adult Magic Kingdom is a head-scratcher. The royal household tries to play an inferior wizard and a pompous man-turned-dog for laughs, the kobolds do everything else. Brooks scales back the world building to trees that provide nourishment, some talk of Fairy, and introduces the reader to generic feudal lords, disinterested healing fairies and fist-shaking trolls. Also, Holiday's frequent reveries of his deceased wife Annie and new love interest Willow's "child-like" beauty is creepy. The new king aught to found a S.V.U., or there's going to be even more trouble with the natives.

One could have gone anywhere with this premise, reams of paper could have been spent developing a world for person who actually should have everything spelled out for him. Brooks instead goes with a couple info-dumps and a written montage of Ben Holiday a-studying the books and land. The book doesn't end in a cliffhanger, like I remembered, it does leave a lot of loose ends. My younger self must have been as dissatisfied as I am now, but lacked the the ability to express it. Magic Kingdom stands alone alright, but I told myself I'd keep going, so I'm gonna keep going.

Next: The Black Unicorn

1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is the next series in BOTM. Meet Ben Holiday, a trial lawyer from Chicago, grieving the loss of his wife and unborn child in a car accident. He finds an advertisement in an upscale Christmas catalog claiming to offer a magical kingdom for one million dollars by a man named Mr. Meeks. Although skeptical, Ben pursues the offer out of a desperate need to start a new life. Ben receives a magical medallion and is transported through a swirling mist to the kingdom of Landover. Unfortunately, he finds it not exactly as described.
This is my favorite type of book, lightweight fantasy with sarcastic and a bit self-depreciating humor. I can't believe I have missed this series before now. I am liking how easy this read is, nothing heavy and maybe I'm not laughing out loud, but I have absolutely caught my self snorting now and then. I think the simplicity of the story is what is so great, this was written in 1986, so I'm not sure if it is a landmark in the genre, but it wasn't a common style then either, at least as far as I know. This is light with humor, not a real thinker but something to go hey I feel like reading, and I don't want to be a better person when I'm done, but I want to enjoy it. Even if my book club doesn't read the rest of the series I will.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I like this book for it's approach to fantasy. Nothing is as you expect.
  kbartosh | Mar 27, 2018 |
Already a Brook's fan I first read this book when I was 16 years old when it first came out in 1986. Very different from Brook's Shannara series though. It is one of only two books I have ever read twice, Tolkien's The Hobbit being the other.
Here I am 28 years later reviewing it on Amazon as I've just discovered much to my excitement it is in the early stages of becoming a Warner Brothers movie.
For anyone who has been in the world of work long enough to have become used to and perhaps bored by the career they once were once excited by, this book offers a perfect piece of hope and escapism. For everyone else an engaging and fun tale.
Ben get's out of the the grey world of the legal profession into a lovable colorful magic kingdom full of life threatening challenges and leverages his skills of a lifetime to face them. While he's at it he finds someone who might just be the new love of his life, an unusual girl named Willow... who is sometimes a tree, no prizes for guessing which type.
Perfectly and wonderfully silly as are the g'home gnomes, the first of his allies which seem more of a hindrance than a help on his quest.
It's one of those stories you read and think someone should have written it before but they haven't. Perhaps that is what "a classic" really is. I've long since read the rest of the series and they do get a bit darker but picking each one up is like rediscovering a group of much missed cherished friends.
It's a book that defies classification into an age range, anyone with enough reading skill for an adult text and upwards. A light and often light hearted read, easy to access and hard to put down. I suspect it will soon become the only book I've ever read 3 times.
(This review is also posted on Amazon) ( )
  AdrianGHilder | Feb 22, 2017 |
An excellent read! While the cover may have thrown me a bit, as I don't usually enjoy books involving 'talking animals', Magic Kingdom for Sale was unique and entertaining. (Definitely not the type of book I had feared it to be) I devoured this book in record time and quickly moved on to the next novels in the series. Definitely on my 'to read again' list! ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |

Brooks, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Witch of the North seemed to think for a time, with her head bowed and her eyes upon the ground. Then she looked up and said, "I do not know where Kansas is, for I have never heard that country mentioned before. But tell me, is it a civilized country?"

"Oh, yes," replied Dorothy.

"Then that accounts for it. In the civilized countries I believe there are no witches left, nor wizards, nor sorceresses, nor magicians. But, you see, the Land of Oz has never been cvilized, for we are cut off from all the rest of the world. There we still have witches and wizards amongst us."

L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz
For Kennard, Vernon, Bill, John and Mike

It happened something like this...
The catalog was from Rosen's, Ltd.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345317580, Mass Market Paperback)

After Ben Holiday purchased Landover, he discovered the magic kingdom had some problems. The Barons refused to recognize a king and the peasants were without hope. To make matters worse, Ben learned that he had to duel to the death with the Iron Mask, the terrible lord of the demons--a duel which no human could hope to win....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

For one million dollars Ben Holiday purchases an island--a magical island complete with fairies, wizards and dragons. He must prove his right to be king by fighting the lord of the demons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible