Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD! by Terry…

Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD!

by Terry Brooks

3,129531,798 (3.58)1 / 99
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (wolfjack)
    wolfjack: I believe anyone who enjoys a light read involving those of our world entering a fantasy land of magic and battle will also love this book.
    A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)
    A Princess of Landover by Terry Brooks (Scottneumann)
    Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors by Joel Rosenberg (wolfjack)
    The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly (wolfjack)
    Hard Sell by Piers Anthony (Scottneumann)

Magic Kingdom was kind of a linear quest book. The protagonist, a lawyer from Earth named Ben gets to a magic kingdom and through a series of adventures/meetings moves through the world he's bought a kingship in. To be fair, the book is 30 years old, so it likely suffers from many imitators, but I think the recipe had already been well-baked before Brooks cooked this book up. Still, it's a fun enough light read. ( )
  Sean191 | Oct 1, 2015 |
This is the next series in BOTM. Meet Ben Holiday, a trial lawyer from Chicago, grieving the loss of his wife and unborn child in a car accident. He finds an advertisement in an upscale Christmas catalog claiming to offer a magical kingdom for one million dollars by a man named Mr. Meeks. Although skeptical, Ben pursues the offer out of a desperate need to start a new life. Ben receives a magical medallion and is transported through a swirling mist to the kingdom of Landover. Unfortunately, he finds it not exactly as described.
This is my favorite type of book, lightweight fantasy with sarcastic and a bit self-depreciating humor. I can't believe I have missed this series before now. I am liking how easy this read is, nothing heavy and maybe I'm not laughing out loud, but I have absolutely caught my self snorting now and then. I think the simplicity of the story is what is so great, this was written in 1986, so I'm not sure if it is a landmark in the genre, but it wasn't a common style then either, at least as far as I know. This is light with humor, not a real thinker but something to go hey I feel like reading, and I don't want to be a better person when I'm done, but I want to enjoy it. Even if my book club doesn't read the rest of the series I will.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
How can you resist the idea of being offered a catalog ad for your very own magic kingdom? That alone ensures this book should be read. Ben Holiday sees the add and for reasons of his own realizes this is what he needs. Of course, it's much more complicated than that...is Ben up to bringing magic back to Landover? Excellent story, smooth reading. An extra benefit, in my estimation, is that it is a stand alone story, not one that requires reading three or more books. Those I find irritating with very few exceptions.
  NickHowes | May 21, 2015 |
Loved this book, and wish I had read it when I was much younger. I thought the concept of a fantasy kingdom accessible by a hiking path in the mountains of Virginia was a very original concept, and the characters and settings in this book made it an enjoyable read. Looking forward to the future volumes in this series. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Lea Zatz recommended this series.
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
The Witch of the North seemed to think for a time, with her head bowed and her eyes upon the ground. Then she looked up and said, "I do not know where Kansas is, for I have never heard that country mentioned before. But tell me, is it a civilized country?"

"Oh, yes," replied Dorothy.

"Then that accounts for it. In the civilized countries I believe there are no witches left, nor wizards, nor sorceresses, nor magicians. But, you see, the Land of Oz has never been cvilized, for we are cut off from all the rest of the world. There we still have witches and wizards amongst us."

L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz
For Kennard, Vernon, Bill, John and Mike

It happened something like this...
The catalog was from Rosen's, Ltd.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345317580, Mass Market Paperback)

After Ben Holiday purchased Landover, he discovered the magic kingdom had some problems. The Barons refused to recognize a king and the peasants were without hope. To make matters worse, Ben learned that he had to duel to the death with the Iron Mask, the terrible lord of the demons--a duel which no human could hope to win....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Ben Holiday purchases the magical kingdom of Landover for a million dollars only to learn that Iron Mark, lord of the demons, expects him to fight a duel to the death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible