Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

Moscow Rules (edition 2008)

by Daniel Silva

Member:tasidog
Title:Moscow Rules
Authors:Daniel Silva
Info:Putnam Adult (2008), Hardcover, 448 pages

Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

Recently added byCommunityAtheneum, librisissimo, private library, Oldcolony, knersus, thevans200, Dreamchen

English (27)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Substance: The painter-cum-spy gets involved again, during his honeymoon with 2nd wife, and once more foils an international terrorist plot by taking down a vicious Russian arms-dealer (this is not a spoiler; we know the hero always wins). Lots of mayhem and soul-searching along the way, regarding the duty of those who know about specific dangers to protect the innocent and unaware. Unabashedly pro-Israel.
Style: Straightforward, very readable. No profanity or graphic sex, which is unusual in the adventure genre.

NOTES:
p. 335 The Moscow Rules are attributed to John Le Carre's classic novel of espionage, Smiley's People, but exist in various forms throughout the the "industry" dating from actual Cold War operating principles. The epigraphic rule for this novel is accurate and "is drilled into American spies throughout their training" - "Don't look back; you are never completely alone." ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 2, 2014 |
Just as good as Silva is with his other Gabriel Allon books. Great ending & loved Phil Gigante as the narrator of this audio!! Excellent! Since not commuting to & from work, I've gotten out of the habit of listening to audiobooks & have just been reading. I had forgotten what a true pleasure it is to listen to a well narrated, good book. This was the perfect one to get me going again. ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
This book's title, [b:Moscow Rules|2033217|Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)|Daniel Silva|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266479723s/2033217.jpg|2037923], hearkens back to the spy novels of [a:John LeCarré|5607208|John LeCarré|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-4df4c878d4149c45fac159e88cb784ad.jpg], and books such as [a:Martin Cruz Smith|8258|Martin Cruz Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1252590168p2/8258.jpg]'s [b:Gorky Park|93682|Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1)|Martin Cruz Smith|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nocover/60x80.png|90322]. But there is an important distinction to make at the outset. The Moscow Rules of these earlier spy stories were born at the heart of the Cold War, before the time of instant communication, and the attendant electronic eavesdropping that is so pervasive today. Instead, [a:Daniel Silva|29085|Daniel Silva|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1240154365p2/29085.jpg]'s Moscow Rules are the evolved spy craft in response to the rise of new political power in the Kremlin, the emergence of thuggish oligarchs and the formation of a new Russian empire. This is a much more violent and accelerated version of the Rules, where an operative's survival depends on instantaneous response to the adversaries' actions.
On this backdrop, the author builds a modern complex tale of intrigue and extremism. He moves the story location all across Europe and the US, with the most tense moments in the new Moscow. And in the interstices, he fills it with brief expositions on art and antiquities. In the center is a wry and deadly Israeli James Bond (more Daniel Craig than Roger Moore) whose personal nobility drives the sequence of events. Overall, he puts together an engrossing tale of action and suspense.
There are some nits which may or may not bother the reader. I note these here only for completeness of the review. I personally enjoyed the book regardless of these nits. This is book #8 in a series featuring the main character, Gabriel Allon, and there are numerous references to events in previous books (which at the time of this review, I have not read). These previous books may help explain Allon's cavalier treatment of his wife, Chiara. The number of coincidental events that happen to aid the main character at just the opportune times may also be bothersome. (The science fiction author, [a:Roger Zelazny|3619|Roger Zelazny|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1207671346p2/3619.jpg], wrote that a fiction book is allowed only one such coincidence.) The last of these coincidences relates to the sudden emergence of one of the protagonist as a friend, after having severely beaten Allon in an earlier part of the book. It's possible that the author writes himself into a corner and the only way out, other than disgarding a whole segment of the novel and starting over, is to introduce a saving element. As noted, once is probably tolerable but several such instances may challenge the reader's suspension of disbelief. This is only the second Allon book I've read but there is a formula to these books that emerges even with just these two that other reviewers have noted. On this basis I anticipated that the operational planning described in the book were mostly smoke and that the ensuing events would diverge and produce the action and suspense segments in the story. End of nits.
There is enough here to want to read another book in the series. ( )
1 vote ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |
loved this book and intend reading more of Daniel Silva's novels ( )
  magentaflake | Feb 16, 2012 |
I have never read anything by Daniel Silva before. Moscow Rules was a good spy thriller, with evil bad guys, and damsels in distress. I would read another. ( )
  Djupstrom | Dec 30, 2011 |
In the hands of a less skilled author, Gabriel's unexpected detours would simply provide page-turning dramatic tension, a fine addition to any spy novel. But under Silva, one of fiction's best espionage authors, those actions are more than just a simple plot device.

Daniel Silva’s espionage thrillers have plenty of high-concept plot twists such as terrorists, bombings, national security and the world in chaos. But one of the real reasons that Silva’s novels have found a resonance with readers – and a secure place on best-sellers lists – is the author’s ability to put a human face on these big-picture themes.

Silva employs realpolitik in his this novel, bringing his insight into Russia’s current state as an underlying theme to the thrills of his plot, which includes swaying the wife of a Russian super-thug to turn on him. It is this aura of real-world menace that gives “Moscow Rules” its true flavor of suspense; that and Silva’s taut, page-turning style and quick ability to create solid characters with few words.

OK, it sounds like your run-of-the-mill thriller. But Silva packs his pages with detailed tradecraft — and with local color that lives and breathes of such settings as the French Riviera, London, Paris and (of course, given the title) Moscow. Then there's the character of Allon, an interesting man who has stayed interesting through a whole string of thrillers...Put "Moscow Rules" atop your summer beach book list.

Silva’s protagonist is the colorful, intriguing center of this spy series. A reluctant hero who has already lost his first wife and child to save the world once, he fears he could be risking his art, his life–everything, all over again. Expertly written and plotted, with lots of suspense and a charming hero, this mystery entertains.

Don't look back. You are never completely alone.
The Moscow Rules
For Jeff Zucker, Ron Meyer, Linda Rappaport, and Michael Gendler, for their freinship, wisdom, and guidance.
And as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
De invasie begon elk jaar aan het eind van de decembermaand.
original title: Moscow Rules

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399155015, Hardcover)

Product Description

Daniel silva has hit the top with his new gabriel allon novel...

A #1 New York Times bestseller!

The death of a journalist leads Israeli spy Gabriel Allon to Russia, where he finds that, in terms of spycraft, even he has something to learn if he wants to prevent a former KGB colonel from delivering Russia’s most sophisticated weapons to al-Qaeda.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Daniel Silva on Gabriel Allon and the "Accidental Series"

Writers tend to be solitary creatures. We toil alone for months on end, then, once a year, we emerge from our dens to publish a book. It can be a daunting experience, especially for someone like me, who is not gregarious and outgoing by nature. But there is one aspect of promotion I truly love: meeting my readers and answering their questions. During each stop on my book tour, I reserve the bulk of my time for a lively conversation with the audience. I learn much from these encounters-indeed, some of the comments are so insightful they take my breath away. There is one question I am asked each night without fail, and it remains my favorite: "How in the world did you ever think of Gabriel Allon?" The answer is complicated. In one sense, he was the result of a long, character-construction process. In another, he was a bolt from the blue. I'll try to explain.

In 1999, after publishing The Marching Season, the second book in the Michael Osbourne series, I decided it was time for a change. We were nearing the end of the Clinton administration, and the president was about to embark on a last-ditch effort to bring peace to the Middle East. I had the broad outlines of a story in mind: a retired Israeli assassin is summoned from retirement to track down a Palestinian terrorist bent on destroying the Oslo peace process. I thought long and hard before giving the Israeli a name. I wanted it to be biblical, like my own, and to be heavy with symbolism. I finally decided to name him after the archangel Gabriel. As for his family name, I chose something short and simple: Allon, which means "oak tree" in Hebrew. I liked the image it conveyed. Gabriel Allon: God's angel of vengeance, solid as an oak.

Gabriel's professional résumé-the operations he had carried out-came quickly. But what about his other side? What did he like to do in his spare time? What was his cover? I knew I wanted something distinct. Something memorable. Something that would, in many respects, be the dominant attribute of his character. I spent many frustrating days mulling over and rejecting possibilities. Then, while walking along one of Georgetown's famous redbrick sidewalks, my wife, Jamie, reminded me that we had a dinner date that evening at the home of David Bull, a man regarded as one of the finest art restorers in the world. I stopped dead in my tracks and raised my hands toward the heavens. Gabriel Allon was complete. He was going to be an art restorer, and a very good one at that.

Over my objections, the book was entitled The Kill Artist and it would go on to become a New York Times bestseller. It was not, however, supposed to be the first book in a long-running series. But once again, fate intervened. In 2000, after moving to G.P. Putnam & Sons, my new publishers asked me what I was working on. When I mumbled something about having whittled it down to two or three options, they offered their first piece of advice. They really didn't care what it was about, they just wanted one thing: Gabriel Allon.

I then spent the next several minutes listing all the reasons why Gabriel, now regarded as one of the most compelling and successful continuing characters in the mystery-thriller genre, should never appear in a second book. I had conceived him as a "one off" character, meaning he would be featured in one story and then ride into the sunset. I also thought he was too melancholy and withdrawn to build a series around, and, at nearly fifty years of age, perhaps a bit too old as well. My biggest concern, however, had to do with his nationality and religion. I thought there was far too much opposition to Israel in the world-and far too much raw anti-Semitism-for an Israeli continuing character ever to be successful in the long term.

My new publishers thought otherwise, and told me so. Because Gabriel lived in Europe and could pass as German or Italian, they believed he came across as more "international" than Israeli. But what they really liked was Gabriel's other job: art restoration. They found the two opposing sides of his character-destroyer and healer-fascinating. What's more, they believed he would stand alone on the literary landscape. There were lots of CIA officers running around saving the world, they argued, but no former Israeli assassins who spent their spare time restoring Bellini altarpieces.

The more they talked, the more I could see their point. I told them I had an idea for a story involving Nazi art looting during the Second World War and the scandalous activities of Swiss banks. "Write it with Gabriel Allon," they said, "and we promise it will be your biggest-selling book yet." Eventually, the book would be called The English Assassin, and, just as Putnam predicted, it sold twice as many copies as its predecessor. Oddly enough, when it came time to write the next book, I still wasn't convinced it should be another Gabriel novel. Though it seems difficult to imagine now, I actually conceived the plot of The Confessor without him in mind. Fortunately, my editor, Neil Nyren, saved me from myself. The book landed at #5 on the New York Times bestseller list and received some of the warmest reviews of my career. After that, a series was truly born.

I am often asked whether it is necessary to read the novels in sequence. The answer is no, but it probably doesn't hurt, either. For the record, the order of publication is The Kill Artist, The English Assassin, The Confessor, A Death in Vienna, Prince of Fire, The Messenger, The Secret Servant, and Moscow Rules, my first #1 New York Times bestseller. The Defector pits Gabriel in a final, dramatic confrontation with the Russian oligarch and arms dealer Ivan Kharkov, and I have been told it far surpasses anything that has come before it in the series. And to think that, if I'd had my way, only one Gabriel Allon book would have been written. I remain convinced, however, that had I set out in the beginning to create him as a continuing character, I would surely have failed. I have always believed in the power of serendipity. Art, like life, rarely goes according to plan. Gabriel Allon is proof of that.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:52 -0400)

Investigating the suspicious death of a journalist in Moscow, Gabriel Allon learns of the machinations of a former KGB colonel whose covert arms dealing business is part of a larger plot to challenge the global dominance of the United States.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,110,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible