Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

Moscow Rules (edition 2008)

by Daniel Silva

Member:tasidog
Title:Moscow Rules
Authors:Daniel Silva
Info:Putnam Adult (2008), Hardcover, 448 pages

Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

English (30)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
This was my first Daniel Silva. I would consider it pop lit, but definitely decent writing abilities, exciting and a page turner all the way through. I will read more of his books and more in this series ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Gabriel is on his honeymoon, when a Russian journalist insists on meeting with him. Gabriel reluctantly accepts the invitation, but when the man is killed before the meeting, Gabriel is drawn into a mystery involving a very powerful weapons dealer with dangerous plans.

Gabriel's art plays a bigger role than in some of the stories, it has always felt it should be a bigger part of this stories, so this was refreshing.

This is a very well-told story with a lot of intensely interesting characters. The story has a good pace and will keep the reader involved. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Jan 18, 2016 |
Gabriel Allon, art restorer and Israeli intelligence officer, has just gotten married to Chiara and is on his honeymoon in Italy. He's busy restoring a painting under an alias, when his employers call, asking for a favor. It seems a Russian journalist, Aleksandr Lubin, wants to tell Gabriel why one of his fellow journalists has been killed. Before Lubin is able to pass on his important information he is murdered just feet away from Gabriel by what is obviously a skilled assassin.

Lubin was on a mission to expose Ivan Kharkov, the son of a senior KGB officer and all around bad guy. When the Soviet Union began to crumble, Kharkov amassed a fortune by arms dealing. He became one of the newly minted billionaires of the new Kremlin. His holdings included shipping and air freight with branches reaching across the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Lubin was investigating the rumor that Kharkov was amassing dangerous arms to sell to al-Qaeda in order that they could continue their assaults on the United States and their allies. His source was Elena Kharkov, Ivan's wife. Gabriel summons up an Israeli investigative team and he and his fellow agents must persuade Kharkov’s wife to betray her husband.

Gabriel Allon can sometimes be a little sensitive, and emotionally torn but just when he appears to be infallible, he and his team slip up a bit, allowing the reader to continue to enjoy the chase. I love espionage novels and I think Silva is a master at this genre. Moscow Rules is both a fast-past thriller with all the appropriate twists and turns and a fascinating look at the inner workings of Russian society today. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Another great Silva book, as Allon is drawn back into the Israeli spy gambit investigating suspected Russian journalist murders by a Russian arms dealer, as well as trying to prevent future terrorist attacks as a result of these arms deals. Silva always seems to know how to build the suspense in a book, as the last 1/2 of this book is a fast, exciting read. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Substance: The painter-cum-spy gets involved again, during his honeymoon with 2nd wife, and once more foils an international terrorist plot by taking down a vicious Russian arms-dealer (this is not a spoiler; we know the hero always wins). Lots of mayhem and soul-searching along the way, regarding the duty of those who know about specific dangers to protect the innocent and unaware. Unabashedly pro-Israel.
Style: Straightforward, very readable. No profanity or graphic sex, which is unusual in the adventure genre.

NOTES:
p. 335 The Moscow Rules are attributed to John Le Carre's classic novel of espionage, Smiley's People, but exist in various forms throughout the the "industry" dating from actual Cold War operating principles. The epigraphic rule for this novel is accurate and "is drilled into American spies throughout their training" - "Don't look back; you are never completely alone." ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 2, 2014 |
In the hands of a less skilled author, Gabriel's unexpected detours would simply provide page-turning dramatic tension, a fine addition to any spy novel. But under Silva, one of fiction's best espionage authors, those actions are more than just a simple plot device.

Daniel Silva’s espionage thrillers have plenty of high-concept plot twists such as terrorists, bombings, national security and the world in chaos. But one of the real reasons that Silva’s novels have found a resonance with readers – and a secure place on best-sellers lists – is the author’s ability to put a human face on these big-picture themes.

Silva employs realpolitik in his this novel, bringing his insight into Russia’s current state as an underlying theme to the thrills of his plot, which includes swaying the wife of a Russian super-thug to turn on him. It is this aura of real-world menace that gives “Moscow Rules” its true flavor of suspense; that and Silva’s taut, page-turning style and quick ability to create solid characters with few words.

OK, it sounds like your run-of-the-mill thriller. But Silva packs his pages with detailed tradecraft — and with local color that lives and breathes of such settings as the French Riviera, London, Paris and (of course, given the title) Moscow. Then there's the character of Allon, an interesting man who has stayed interesting through a whole string of thrillers...Put "Moscow Rules" atop your summer beach book list.

Silva’s protagonist is the colorful, intriguing center of this spy series. A reluctant hero who has already lost his first wife and child to save the world once, he fears he could be risking his art, his life–everything, all over again. Expertly written and plotted, with lots of suspense and a charming hero, this mystery entertains.

Don't look back. You are never completely alone.
The Moscow Rules
For Jeff Zucker, Ron Meyer, Linda Rappaport, and Michael Gendler, for their freinship, wisdom, and guidance.
And as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
De invasie begon elk jaar aan het eind van de decembermaand.
original title: Moscow Rules

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399155015, Hardcover)

Product Description

Daniel silva has hit the top with his new gabriel allon novel...

A #1 New York Times bestseller!

The death of a journalist leads Israeli spy Gabriel Allon to Russia, where he finds that, in terms of spycraft, even he has something to learn if he wants to prevent a former KGB colonel from delivering Russia’s most sophisticated weapons to al-Qaeda.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Daniel Silva on Gabriel Allon and the "Accidental Series"

Writers tend to be solitary creatures. We toil alone for months on end, then, once a year, we emerge from our dens to publish a book. It can be a daunting experience, especially for someone like me, who is not gregarious and outgoing by nature. But there is one aspect of promotion I truly love: meeting my readers and answering their questions. During each stop on my book tour, I reserve the bulk of my time for a lively conversation with the audience. I learn much from these encounters-indeed, some of the comments are so insightful they take my breath away. There is one question I am asked each night without fail, and it remains my favorite: "How in the world did you ever think of Gabriel Allon?" The answer is complicated. In one sense, he was the result of a long, character-construction process. In another, he was a bolt from the blue. I'll try to explain.

In 1999, after publishing The Marching Season, the second book in the Michael Osbourne series, I decided it was time for a change. We were nearing the end of the Clinton administration, and the president was about to embark on a last-ditch effort to bring peace to the Middle East. I had the broad outlines of a story in mind: a retired Israeli assassin is summoned from retirement to track down a Palestinian terrorist bent on destroying the Oslo peace process. I thought long and hard before giving the Israeli a name. I wanted it to be biblical, like my own, and to be heavy with symbolism. I finally decided to name him after the archangel Gabriel. As for his family name, I chose something short and simple: Allon, which means "oak tree" in Hebrew. I liked the image it conveyed. Gabriel Allon: God's angel of vengeance, solid as an oak.

Gabriel's professional résumé-the operations he had carried out-came quickly. But what about his other side? What did he like to do in his spare time? What was his cover? I knew I wanted something distinct. Something memorable. Something that would, in many respects, be the dominant attribute of his character. I spent many frustrating days mulling over and rejecting possibilities. Then, while walking along one of Georgetown's famous redbrick sidewalks, my wife, Jamie, reminded me that we had a dinner date that evening at the home of David Bull, a man regarded as one of the finest art restorers in the world. I stopped dead in my tracks and raised my hands toward the heavens. Gabriel Allon was complete. He was going to be an art restorer, and a very good one at that.

Over my objections, the book was entitled The Kill Artist and it would go on to become a New York Times bestseller. It was not, however, supposed to be the first book in a long-running series. But once again, fate intervened. In 2000, after moving to G.P. Putnam & Sons, my new publishers asked me what I was working on. When I mumbled something about having whittled it down to two or three options, they offered their first piece of advice. They really didn't care what it was about, they just wanted one thing: Gabriel Allon.

I then spent the next several minutes listing all the reasons why Gabriel, now regarded as one of the most compelling and successful continuing characters in the mystery-thriller genre, should never appear in a second book. I had conceived him as a "one off" character, meaning he would be featured in one story and then ride into the sunset. I also thought he was too melancholy and withdrawn to build a series around, and, at nearly fifty years of age, perhaps a bit too old as well. My biggest concern, however, had to do with his nationality and religion. I thought there was far too much opposition to Israel in the world-and far too much raw anti-Semitism-for an Israeli continuing character ever to be successful in the long term.

My new publishers thought otherwise, and told me so. Because Gabriel lived in Europe and could pass as German or Italian, they believed he came across as more "international" than Israeli. But what they really liked was Gabriel's other job: art restoration. They found the two opposing sides of his character-destroyer and healer-fascinating. What's more, they believed he would stand alone on the literary landscape. There were lots of CIA officers running around saving the world, they argued, but no former Israeli assassins who spent their spare time restoring Bellini altarpieces.

The more they talked, the more I could see their point. I told them I had an idea for a story involving Nazi art looting during the Second World War and the scandalous activities of Swiss banks. "Write it with Gabriel Allon," they said, "and we promise it will be your biggest-selling book yet." Eventually, the book would be called The English Assassin, and, just as Putnam predicted, it sold twice as many copies as its predecessor. Oddly enough, when it came time to write the next book, I still wasn't convinced it should be another Gabriel novel. Though it seems difficult to imagine now, I actually conceived the plot of The Confessor without him in mind. Fortunately, my editor, Neil Nyren, saved me from myself. The book landed at #5 on the New York Times bestseller list and received some of the warmest reviews of my career. After that, a series was truly born.

I am often asked whether it is necessary to read the novels in sequence. The answer is no, but it probably doesn't hurt, either. For the record, the order of publication is The Kill Artist, The English Assassin, The Confessor, A Death in Vienna, Prince of Fire, The Messenger, The Secret Servant, and Moscow Rules, my first #1 New York Times bestseller. The Defector pits Gabriel in a final, dramatic confrontation with the Russian oligarch and arms dealer Ivan Kharkov, and I have been told it far surpasses anything that has come before it in the series. And to think that, if I'd had my way, only one Gabriel Allon book would have been written. I remain convinced, however, that had I set out in the beginning to create him as a continuing character, I would surely have failed. I have always believed in the power of serendipity. Art, like life, rarely goes according to plan. Gabriel Allon is proof of that.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:33 -0400)

Investigating the suspicious death of a journalist in Moscow, Gabriel Allon learns of the machinations of a former KGB colonel whose covert arms dealing business is part of a larger plot to challenge the global dominance of the United States.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,134,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible