The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

The Monster of Florence (edition 2009)

by Douglas Preston, Mario Spezi (Contributor)

Title:The Monster of Florence
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Mario Spezi (Contributor)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:20th Century, 21st Century, Italian history, nonfiction

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir by Amanda Knox (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The same public prosecutor in Perugia brought charges is at the center of both the Monster of Florence and Meredith Kercher murder investigations.
    The Sunday Woman by Carlo Fruttero (ehines)
    ehines: Very different books in terms of tone--one a rather disturbing true-crime, the other a sardonic murder mystery. But both have some interesting insights into late 20th-century Italy.
    The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: True stories of corruption in the justice system. The Monster of Florence is about the search for a serial killer in Italy, The Innocent Man is a man falsely convicted and on death row.

English (90)  Dutch (1)  All languages (91)
This is an incredible read. I could never have believed such a corrupt and bumbling legal and criminal system could be alive and well in 20th and 21st Century Italy.A serial killer is still at large after decades so that the authorities can save face. It is 315 pages of abomination.I do not normally read True crime,but this is a must read! So many innocent people jailed and the killer is still free.Any evidence needed is created to prove the case of the offiicials. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Very good! Well written and very captivating! ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
I liked this book overall. The issues I had were getting through part one of the book. After that I was interested. I was more interested in reading about Preston and Spezi and their dedication to finding the monster. It wasn't al all like I had imagined it would be. I thought I was going to get to read the investigation into a spring of murders that would have the end result being the mister being caught. I was a little disappointed to find out he/she never was. I was also left with questions. My main one being "Did the officials ever investigate the alleged evidence of those metal boxes that were supposed to be in that abandoned house? And if so, what were their findings?" Other than that I enjoyed reading this book. ( )
  HeathernJeff | Feb 12, 2016 |
Not exactly a true crime story, more like a story about the investigations into a crime story, and in that it is highly convoluted and there are never any "edge-of-the-seat are they going to capture the bad guy?" moments. It was really hard to follow the parts about how the crime was investigated in the past - that was just a monstrous mess of "he did this" and "she followed that lead" tidbits. I couldn't follow it, I didn't even get in to trying to follow it. That's Part 1 and you could practically skip that whole Part with out losing much (except... don't... you do hear about the actual crimes in part 1 so, for that, it's important). Part 2, the modern day investigation and how the reporters themselves get caught up in police accusations, is the really interesting part of the book and makes this book at least worth a read if you don't have anything better to do. You won't find yourself staying up all night reading because you "just can't put it down!" but I guess it is worth a read simply because it's a bizarre and interesting murder story. I hope to read other D. Preston books - he is a good writer - but I hope his other crime stories are more riveting. ( )
  marshapetry | Jan 28, 2016 |
This book is an interesting account of a serial killer and two reporters trying to solve the mystery of these murders twenty years after they stopped. It wasn't as gripping to me as other similar nonfiction serial killer books like Devil in the White City. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spezi, Mariomain authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutsikaris, DennisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Danchin, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volk, KatharinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my partners in our Italian adventure: my wife, Christine, and
my children Aletheia and Isaac. And to my daughter Selene, who
wisely kept her feet planted firmly in America.
—Douglas Preston

A mia moglie Myriam e a mia figlia Eleonora,
che hanno scusato la mia ossessione.
—Mario Spezi
In 1969, the year men landed on the moon, I spent an unforgettable summer in Italy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446581194, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, June 2008: When author Douglas Preston moved his family to Florence he never expected he would soon become obsessed and entwined in a horrific crime story whose true-life details rivaled the plots of his own bestselling thrillers. While researching his next book, Preston met Mario Spezi, an Italian journalist who told him about the Monster of Florence, Italy's answer to Jack the Ripper, a terror who stalked lovers' lanes in the Italian countryside. The killer would strike at the most intimate time, leaving mutilated corpses in his bloody wake over a period from 1968 to 1985. One of these crimes had taken place in an olive grove on the property of Preston's new home. That was enough for him to join "Monsterologist" Spezi on a quest to name the killer, or killers, and bring closure to these unsolved crimes. Local theories and accusations flourished: the killer was a cuckolded husband; a local aristocrat; a physician or butcher, someone well-versed with knives; a satanic cult. Thomas Harris even dipped into "Monster" lore for some of Hannibal Lecter's more Grand Guignol moments in Hannibal. Add to this a paranoid police force more concerned with saving face and naming a suspect (any suspect) than with assessing the often conflicting evidence on hand, and an unbelievable twist that finds both authors charged with obstructing justice, with Spezi jailed on suspicion of being the Monster himself. The Monster of Florence is split into two sections: the first half is Spezi's story, with the latter bringing in Preston's updated involvement on the case. Together these two parts create a dark and fascinating descent into a landscape of horror that deserves to be shelved between In Cold Blood and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:45 -0400)

Documents the author's discovery that his new family home in Florence had been the scene of a double murder, his relationship with the investigative journalist co-author, and how they both became targets of the police investigation into the murders.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,784,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible