American Prince: A Memoir by Tony Curtis

American Prince: A Memoir

by Tony Curtis

Other authors: Peter Golenbock

Tony Curtis was never one of my favorites, but the Golden Boy of the Golden Age had a life story that I wanted to read. He truly lived life, regardless of whether we agree with it or not. He started with a multitude of swashbuckling screen roles before expanding into some classics. He always had charm and that trait also comes across in his memoir.

I just couldn't get past his constant whining about not being taken seriously as an act-or. Good grief. Get over it. Cary Grant, Oliver Reed, Richard Burton, and Peter O'Toole never won Oscars, so Curtis's belief that he ranked with the best was a bit too much. He is certainly honest, though, even titling one of his chapters, "Cocaine". Now, that's why we buy celebrity autobiographies.

Book Season = Summer (on the beach) ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |
GOOD AUTOBIOGRAPHY
  DONNAMONTEIRO | Aug 14, 2010 |
Curtis comes off as a conceited jerk. ( )
  knahs | Mar 30, 2010 |
A thorough autobiography with a normal amount of self justification and perhaps more than a normal amount of honesty. Mr. Curtis seems to have been very frank without being mean, or cruel. He is very open about his life as a "move star", husband to multiple women, absent father to six children and friend to savory and unsavory people. It certainly was not an admirable life however he seems to have lived it with joy and enthusiasm for the most part while also feeling the pain and sadness of being human and part of a dysfunctional family and industry. ( )
  maggie1944 | Mar 22, 2009 |
Tony Curtis sits down with Golenbock to give us the inside story about his journey from the streets of New York to his rise to stardom. Although the layout of the book was a little disjointed and confusing, I tried not to get caught up in time line jumps. There are no real earth-shattering revelations; Curtis led a typical Hollywood life with the ups and downs we so often hear about in a star's career. I did enjoy all his personal stories, though, involving some of our great cultural icons of his heyday in the biz. Made me very nostalgic and took me back in time in my own personal life. Definitely a trip down that memory lane we so often hear about.

Interesting. ( )
  DanaJean | Mar 22, 2009 |

Tony Curtisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Golenbock, Petersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The legendary actor chronicles his odyssey from hard-knock childhood as the son of immigrant parents to Hollywood success, detailing his days as a tinseltown playboy, the film industry during Hollywood's Golden Era, and his life as an artist at the age of eighty.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,475,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible