Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael Greenberg

Hurry Down Sunshine

by Michael Greenberg

English (36)  Italian (1)  All (37)
This is a memoir from the point of view of a father as he watches his 15-year-old daughter spiral out of control into a manic episode, on her way to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

I expected to really enjoy, or rather at least relate to this book. I have a good friend who went through her first manic episode around age 20, and I thought it might be refreshing to read about something similar from a parent's point of view. But I really didn't care much for this book. It really wasn't written all that well and the author went off topic a lot. As a memoir, I suppose he's entitled to do that, but based on the book description, I expected there to be more meat to this story. As it was, it was rather dull and only about 60% of the book dealt directly with his daughter's illness. I'm not sure that I've actually read any other books dealing directly with bipolar disorder, but I suspect there are much better choices out there than this one. ( )
  indygo88 | Oct 31, 2016 |
A father's account of his daughter's sudden onset of bipolar disease. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
The subject was a bit tough to listen to but what an awesome writer Mr. Greenberg is - just to listen to how he writes is sentences describing the neighborhood and the hospital and his brother and daughter was a pleasure. I'm sorry they've had such issues (and our family does too, so I can totally empathize) but, wow, I really enjoyed just listening to a word craftsman. Mr. Greenberg is a good narrator (audiobook) too. Highly recommend just for the quality of writing, though if you have issues with reading about mental breakdowns in their raw form, this might not be the best book for that. ( )
  marshapetry | Nov 3, 2015 |
books about people bookbox; The journalist father chronicles the summer his 15 yo teen daughter descended into manic psychosis and was hospitalized. Intriguing and challenging "what is madness?" The author also cares for a schizo older brother, and inserts info about madness documented by other geniuses, such as James Joyce's life with his psychotic daughter, and depression and suicide in the Hemingway family. He also meets a Hasidic Jewish family, and talks about that religion's handling of psychotic individuals in their community. Very eye-opening. This book will move along in the Medicine Chest bookbox. ( )
  nancynova | Jul 21, 2015 |
This was poorly written. No back-story for any of these people was given, which made everything very melodramatic. I couldn't force myself to keep reading. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
On July 5, 1996, my daughter was struck mad.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307473546, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Michael Greenberg's spare, unflinching memoir begins with a bang: "On July 5, 1996, my daughter was struck mad." Hurry Down Sunshine chronicles the summer when fifteen-year-old Sally experienced her first full-blown manic episode—an event that in a "single stroke" changed her identity and, by extension, that of her entire family. Simply told and beautifully written, Greenberg's memoir shines a stark light on mental illness, painting a vivid picture of a brain and body under siege—mania as a separate living thing squatting within the patient. As a writer who lives "so much in his head," Greenberg is particularly anguished by his daughter's fractured psyche, and his honesty about being both sickened and fascinated by his daughter's condition is breathtaking: "During the worst moments, I think of her as my disease—the disease I must bear...I am intoxicated with Sally's madness in both senses of the word: inebriated and poisoned." So desperate is he to understand her, that he relentlessly researches mental illness (the book is peppered with fascinating insights into drug therapy and anecdotes about writers who struggled with madness), and even goes so far as to sample a full dose of his daughter's medication. Startling, heart-wrenching, and yet unwaveringly unsentimental, Hurry Down Sunshine is an unforgettable story of a young girl's descent into madness, told through the eyes of a harried and helpless father trying desperately to bring her back. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:41 -0400)

Hurry Down Sunshine tells the story of the extraordinary summer when, at the age of fifteen, Michael Greenberg's daughter was struck mad. It begins with Sally's visionary crack-up on the streets of Greenwich Village, and continues, among other places, in the out-of-time world of a Manhattan psychiatric ward during the city's most sweltering months.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael Greenberg's book Hurry Down Sunshine was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible