My Ántonia (1918)

by Willa Cather

Series: The Prairie Trilogy (3)

A New York lawyer remembers his boyhood in Nebraska and his friendship with a pioneer Bohemian girl.
1910s (19)
Elevenses (248)

English (249)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (255)
I really enjoyed reading this novel, but mostly for the vivid descriptions of the the prairie. I felt Cather captured the land that I love (although my prairie is pancake flat). I enjoyed how the feminist themes were woven in and how the women each took very different paths, I felt there was a nice interplay of determination and destiny - the women both made and were made by their circumstances. I did find the first person telling a little distracting. The character of Jim seemed distant to me, feeling more of a vehicle to tell the story than a participant in it. This one was worthy of my time but perhaps not worthy of precious space on my shelves. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
I LOVE Willa Cather. I am not sure why because I know a lot of people do not like her. It is her deep love the of the earth (especially the West) and the ability she has to mix the emotion of nature with the emotion of people. I feel like I am actually there when I read her books. I love My Anotnia and it is one of my favorite Cather books. I have read it many, many times. ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
Always interesting and worthwhile to reread a book 40 years later—helps you appreciate how much bigger your own world has become, but also how much less intense.

I didn’t remember the beauty of Cather’s landscape descriptions. (Have I just forgotten? Or did I skim that part in my 15-year-old reading?)

Also, what stayed with me from my teenage reading was a romantic feeling that Antonia came to a sad ending. Reading it now, It feels just the opposite. ( )
  giovannaz63 | Jan 18, 2021 |
I know I never read this before; but both the characters and phrasing feel so familiar. A sad, but beautiful story. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 31, 2020 |

Svoboda, TereseAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tapper, GordonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Optima dies . . . prima fugit
-Virgil
To Carrie and Irene Miner in memory of affections old and true.
I first heard of Ántonia on what seemed to me an interminable journey across the great midland plain of North America. I was ten years old then; I had lost both my father and mother within a year, and my Virginia relatives were sending me out to my grandparents, who lived in Nebraska. I traveled in the care of a mountain boy, Jake Marpole, one of the “hands” on my father’s old farm under the Blue Ridge, who was now going West to work for my grandfather. Jake’s experience of the world was not much wider than mine. He had never been in a railway train until the morning when we set out together to try our fortunes in a new world.
"When a writer begins to work with his own material," said Willa Cather, in a retrospective preface to her first novel, Alexander's Bridge, "he has less and less choice about the moulding of it. (Preface)
He placed this book in my grandmother's hands, looked at her entreatingly, and said, with an earnestness which I shall never forget, "Te-e-ach, te-e-ach my Ántonia!"
Because he talked so little, his words had a peculiar force; they were not worn dull from constant use.
Lena was Pussy so often that she finally said she wouldn't play any more.

My Ántonia chronicles the life of Ántonia, a Bohemian immigrant woman, as seen through the eyes of Jim, the man unable to forget her. Jim, now a successful New York lawyer, recollects his upbringing on a Nebraska farm. Even after 20 years, Ántonia continues to live a romantic life in his imagination. When he returns to Nebraska, he finds Ántonia has lived a battered life. Although the man to whom she dedicated her life abandons her, she remains strong and full of courage.

Legacy Library: Willa Cather

Willa Cather has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Willa Cather's legacy profile.

See Willa Cather's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100747, 1400108454

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,135,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible