My Ántonia by Willa Cather

My Ántonia (original 1918; edition 2004)

by Willa Cather

A New York lawyer remembers his boyhood in Nebraska and his friendship with a pioneer Bohemian girl.
Member:bsabernathy
Title:My Ántonia
Authors:Willa Cather
Info:The Reader's Digest Association (2004), Edition: The World's Best Reading, 277 Pages
Collections:Read and Owned, Your library

My Ántonia by Willa Cather (1918)

1910s (15)
Elevenses (234)

English (246)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (252)
2000 ( )
  nlgeorge | Sep 29, 2020 |
Cather has crept onto my devour list with her stellar prose, portraits, and settings. Knowing that she beautified her friend Jim's memoir of his existence among "hired girls" on Nebraska's endless plains at the end of the 19th century gives it even more power.

---

The cornfields were far apart in those times, with miles of wild grazing land between. It took a clear, meditative eye like grandfather's to foresee that they would enlarge and multiply until they would be, not the Shimerdas' cornfields, or Mr. Bushy's, but the world's cornfields; that their yield would be one of the great economic facts, like the wheat crop of Russia, which underlie all the activities of men, in peace or war. ( )
  dandelionroots | Sep 12, 2020 |
Superb! A short book that I could have read forever! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
This was a lovely book. I was enthralled from page 1 - I loved the characters, their relationships and how their trials shaped them, and of course the descriptions of the nature and how tough the land was. Bonus points for portraying multiple multi-faceted women who weren't afraid of going for what they wanted, were unapologetic, and actually achieved their goals. ( )
2 vote j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |

Svoboda, TereseAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tapper, GordonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Optima dies . . . prima fugit
-Virgil
To Carrie and Irene Miner in memory of affections old and true.
I first heard of Ántonia on what seemed to me an interminable journey across the great midland plain of North America. I was ten years old then; I had lost both my father and mother within a year, and my Virginia relatives were sending me out to my grandparents, who lived in Nebraska. I traveled in the care of a mountain boy, Jake Marpole, one of the “hands” on my father’s old farm under the Blue Ridge, who was now going West to work for my grandfather. Jake’s experience of the world was not much wider than mine. He had never been in a railway train until the morning when we set out together to try our fortunes in a new world.
"When a writer begins to work with his own material," said Willa Cather, in a retrospective preface to her first novel, Alexander's Bridge, "he has less and less choice about the moulding of it. (Preface)
He placed this book in my grandmother's hands, looked at her entreatingly, and said, with an earnestness which I shall never forget, "Te-e-ach, te-e-ach my Ántonia!"
Because he talked so little, his words had a peculiar force; they were not worn dull from constant use.
Lena was Pussy so often that she finally said she wouldn't play any more.

My Ántonia chronicles the life of Ántonia, a Bohemian immigrant woman, as seen through the eyes of Jim, the man unable to forget her. Jim, now a successful New York lawyer, recollects his upbringing on a Nebraska farm. Even after 20 years, Ántonia continues to live a romantic life in his imagination. When he returns to Nebraska, he finds Ántonia has lived a battered life. Although the man to whom she dedicated her life abandons her, she remains strong and full of courage.

Legacy Library: Willa Cather

Willa Cather has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Willa Cather's legacy profile.

See Willa Cather's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100747, 1400108454

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,420,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible