My Antonia (Signet Classics) by Willa Cather

My Antonia (Signet Classics) (original 1918; edition 2005)

by Willa Cather, Marilyn Sides (Introduction)

8,787199344 (3.93)735
Member:EfEh
Title:My Antonia (Signet Classics)
Authors:Willa Cather
Other authors:Marilyn Sides (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (2005), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, p/b, borrowed, America

My Antonia by Willa Cather (1918)

English (194)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (197)
A superb depiction of place (Nebraska), time (1880's to 1910's), and people. The book creates an atmosphere the reader can sink into. ( )
  snash | Jul 29, 2015 |
As a young orphan, Jim Burden travels by train to his grandparents home in Nebraska, where he meets the lovely Antonia. Their friendship becomes a close one that lasts a lifetime. The story is told through Jim's reminiscences. Willa Cather's story telling is easy and picturesque, and her characters are recognizable.

December 2014 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
I picked this one up on the bargain shelf for no other reason than my daughter’s name is in the title and one so seldom sees that name in print (on anything!). This book was first published in 1918. The story is told by Jim Burden and is rich with details about life in late 19th century Nebraska. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I did enjoy this book quite a bit. It was an interesting hodge-podge of stories through-out a life about a young female Czech immigrant to the wild prairie of Nebraska as seen through the eyes of a slightly younger boy experiencing a similar situation of having to unexpectedly live with grandparents on the neighboring farm. I enjoyed the almost short story feel of the book, and was particularly taken with several stories of startling sadness and violence that appeared throughout. Cather's description of the prairie is quite exquisite, with the prairie almost playing the role of a character in the book. I was very unhappy with the main character's name, Antonia, which was pronounced, according to the book in a way my mind never wanted to buy into during the entire book, and being the technical geek that i am, it caused me constant annoyance. But i feel like i have an understanding of the Nebraska prairie and the unbelievable difficulty of those first settlers that tamed it into useful farmland. As a total package, i was never quite sure where it was going, and now, i'm still not quite sure where it went, and thus my 3.5. But, no regrets. ( )
  jeffome | Jul 5, 2015 |
My Ántonia is one of my all-time favorites. Willa Cather is a master story teller. I love all of her novels.
  fredheid | Jun 30, 2015 |

Willa Catherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benda, W. T.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Byatt, A.S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colacci, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Optima dies . . . prima fugit
-Virgil
To Carrie and Irene Miner in memory of affections old and true.
I first heard of Ántonia on what seemed to me an interminable journey across the great midland plain of North America. I was ten years old then; I had lost both my father and mother within a year, and my Virginia relatives were sending me out to my grandparents, who lived in Nebraska. I traveled in the care of a mountain boy, Jake Marpole, one of the “hands” on my father’s old farm under the Blue Ridge, who was now going West to work for my grandfather. Jake’s experience of the world was not much wider than mine. He had never been in a railway train until the morning when we set out together to try our fortunes in a new world.
"When a writer begins to work with his own material," said Willa Cather, in a retrospective preface to her first novel, Alexander's Bridge, "he has less and less choice about the moulding of it. (Preface)
He placed this book in my grandmother's hands, looked at her entreatingly, and said, with an earnestness which I shall never forget, "Te-e-ach, te-e-ach my Ántonia!"
Because he talked so little, his words had a peculiar force; they were not worn dull from constant use.
Lena was Pussy so often that she finally said she wouldn't play any more.
My Ántonia chronicles the life of Ántonia, a Bohemian immigrant woman, as seen through the eyes of Jim, the man unable to forget her. Jim, now a successful New York lawyer, recollects his upbringing on a Nebraska farm. Even after 20 years, Ántonia continues to live a romantic life in his imagination. When he returns to Nebraska, he finds Ántonia has lived a battered life. Although the man to whom she dedicated her life abandons her, she remains strong and full of courage.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039575514X, Paperback)

It seems almost sacrilege to infringe upon a book as soulful and rich as Willa Cather's My Ántonia by offering comment. First published in 1918, and set in Nebraska in the late 19th century, this tale of the spirited daughter of a Bohemian immigrant family planning to farm on the untamed land ("not a country at all but the material out of which countries are made") comes to us through the romantic eyes of Jim Burden. He is, at the time of their meeting, newly orphaned and arriving at his grandparents' neighboring farm on the same night her family strikes out to make good in their new country. Jim chooses the opening words of his recollections deliberately: "I first heard of Ántonia on what seemed to be an interminable journey across the great midland plain of North America," and it seems almost certain that readers of Cather's masterpiece will just as easily pinpoint the first time they heard of Ántonia and her world. It seems equally certain that they, too, will remember that moment as one of great light in an otherwise unremarkable trip through the world.

Ántonia, who, even as a grown woman somewhat downtrodden by circumstance and hard work, "had not lost the fire of life," lies at the center of almost every human condition that Cather's novel effortlessly untangles. She represents immigrant struggles with a foreign land and tongue, the restraints on women of the time (with which Cather was very much concerned), the more general desires for love, family, and companionship, and the great capacity for forbearance that marked the earliest settlers on the frontier.

As if all this humanity weren't enough, Cather paints her descriptions of the vastness of nature--the high, red grass, the road that "ran about like a wild thing," the endless wind on the plains--with strokes so vivid as to make us feel in our bones that we've just come in from a walk on that very terrain ourselves. As the story progresses, Jim goes off to the University in Lincoln to study Latin (later moving on to Harvard and eventually staying put on the East Coast in another neat encompassing of a stage in America's development) and learns Virgil's phrase "Optima dies ... prima fugit" that Cather uses as the novel's epigraph. "The best days are the first to flee"--this could be said equally of childhood and the earliest hours of this country in which the open land, much like My Ántonia, was nothing short of a rhapsody in prairie sky blue. --Melanie Rehak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

A New York lawyer remembers his boyhood in Nebraska and his friendship with a pioneer Bohemian girl.

Legacy Library: Willa Cather

Willa Cather has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Willa Cather's legacy profile.

See Willa Cather's author page.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100747, 1400108454

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,522,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible