Ghost of a Chance by Kate Marsh

Ghost of a Chance (edition 2008)

by Kate Marsh

2071356,585 (3.35)12
Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Ghost of a Chance
Authors:Kate Marsh
Info:Signet (2008), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:ghosts, mystery, murder, humor, donated

Ghost of a Chance by Kate Marsh

Was ok. I think I'm not a fan of Katie MacAllister. This book was really confusing even though there weren't many characters. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
It was hard to get a handle on the world the author created. I never had a true sense of whether or not the greater population knew about the supernatural--and I got the sense the author herself didn't know either.

However, the mystery was mysterious and the characters were relateable (even if they had four arms). Not laugh out loud funny, but good light entertainment. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
A ghost wrangler of sorts gets involved in a murder mystery when her hated husband gets offed in the house of a poltergeist.

This particular author is always hit or miss for me, this was more of a miss than a hit. The characters were okay (with the exception of Spider and Meredeth, but they were supposed to be reprehensible) and the story moved well, but it just seemed a bit non-involving...I didn't really care too much about what happened. Also, the twist at the end annoyed me. Not too bad if you want a ghost story with an unusal approach to poltergeists. Also, not much of a romance at all, even though I think it was marketed as such. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Dec 17, 2012 |
Review for “Ghost of a Chance” by Kate Marsh

Karma Marx sends troubled spirits packing. Her nasty husband, Spider, needs her to clean a house for him. In return she gets the divorce she want. But wait, Karma doesn’t like her job and tries to find places for all the out placed ghosties. Not exactly in Spider’s evil plan. But when the old owner locks everyone in the house, things take a drastic turn. Murder … All in all I liked the book, even the end. Mostly I liked the characters not the plot. ( )
  mary1963 | Aug 15, 2010 |
I'm generally not a fan of mystery novels, so that may be the reason why I found this book only so-so. The story was, overall, fun and original; however, it was also disjointed, distant, and somewhat bland. Parts of it were entertain and promising. The characters were colorful, the paranormal aspect was fresh and different from most other novels. Unfortunately, the story did not always move smoothly or sensibly from one scene to the next. Nor did I develop more than a superficial interest in any of the characters. And the mystery element just didn't work for me. In my opinion, trying to keep things mysterious created distance between me, the reader, and the characters and action. I would happily have traded the big reveal at the end of the story for more connection along the way.

On a neutral note, the author doesn't really lay out this crazy world she's created in a clear manner. She just dives right in with strange beings, special abilities, and "oh, by the way, that person isn't human." On the whole, I didn't mind -- I'd rather charge forward and risk some confusion than suffer through tedious exposition. Fair warning, though, to readers who prefer a more clearly set stage. There were times when I was very confused and wasn't liking it.

I'd like to add that Kate Marsh/Katie MacAlister's work tends to be a hit-or-miss thing for me. Some of her books I've enjoyed a lot; some I've not cared for at all. Then there are books like this -- liked parts of it, and disliked other parts. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 6, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to my mother, Shirley, with much gratitude for all the years of hauling me to the library, letting me confiscate her blue tweed Nancy Drews, and instilling in me a lifelong love of mysteries.
"Hi there! You've reached Spider and Karma's house, but we're busy showing some lovely homes at affordable prices to charming and attractive people, so we can't come to the phone right now."
Katie MacAlister writing as Kate Marsh

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451223241, Mass Market Paperback)

First in the USA Today bestselling author's new paranormal mystery series

There are other worlds with mysteries to solve.

Worlds where not all of the suspects are technically alive.

That's when Karma kicks in.

Karma Marx exorcises haunted houses, sending troublesome poltergeists and other spirits to the ever after. But one assignment traps Karma, her foster child, her sleazy soon-to-be-ex husband, Spider, and his crooked partner under one roof. And when Spider turns up dead, it's a locked house mystery, and Karma's determined to reveal the truth, even if it means tackling all of the mansion's inhabitants-mortal and otherwise...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:35 -0400)

Karma Marx exorcises haunted houses. She can banish troublesome spirits and entities, but what she really wants to get rid of is her sleazy realtor husband. So she makes him a deal - she will exorcise one last home for him in return for a divorce. But things don't go according to plan, and soon her husband winds up dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,899,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible