The September Society by Charles Finch

The September Society (2008)

by Charles Finch

Series: Charles Lenox Mysteries (2)

Pretty good mystery. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
This is another Charles Lennox mystery set in Victorian London, Oxford, & a short in India.

Charles is called upon by a young Oxonian's mother to locate him, as George has just disappeared as they were about to set out for tea..... The young man went to his room and then when he didn't show, his mother went up to find his rooms messed and his cat dead..... She goes immediately to call upon Charles & asks him to find her son. Also missing is one of George's two friends....

The mess in George's rooms are set to leave clues about The September Society, a group of officers who left behind two of their own in India dead by misadventure/suicide..... While returning to his home for a short bit, Charles is called back to Oxford only to find George dead of murder and his friend still missing...... Last seen George had been in the presence of a mysterious man calling himself Canterbury....

Charles enlists the help of Dallington (who is on a binge and of little use), his friend McConnell, his brother Edmund, & a high standing member of Parliament. Lady Jane & McConnell's wife Toto are only around on the periphery and the banter about them includes Toto's dithering on naming her yet to be born child and Charles's conundrum about asking Lady Jane to marry him...... Quite charming I'm sure, but tedious.

This book was more interesting than the last two I read, there was more action and more mysterious characters.... It also contained some interesting history of England's dubious presence in India. I liked the mystery of the two missing Oxonian's and the setting of the clues by one of them to help solve the crime. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Charles Lenox series by Charles Finch. Lenox is an English aristocrat whose fortune enables him to work as an amateur detective without payment or taking credit away from Scotland Yard. When he is asked by a distressed woman to locate her missing son, a student at his alma mater Oxford, he agrees to make inquiries. When he visits George's room he finds some odd clues, including a dead cat and notes that make no sense. There is also card from some group called the September Society. Further investigation reveals this society is an elite group of retired military men who once served in the Punjab region of India.

I became much more comfortable with Charles in this book and the writing just seems to flow much better. I found the mystery to be more complex and it kept me engrossed with plenty of twists and turns. I enjoyed his nervousness as he puts together plans to ask his long time friend and next door neighbor, Lady Jane Grey, to marry him.

If you are looking for a deep, dark mystery set in Victorian times this won't be the novel for you. This is more of a cozy style mystery where the poverty and dirtiness of that era is mostly missing. I completely love some of the characters that appear to be recurring now: his butler, Graham, and Dr. McConnell and his wife, ToTo. There is also a new and interesting character, Dallilngton, now working as Charles' apprentice.

I plan to continue this series. I was so-so with the first one, A Beautiful Blue Death, but now I want to find out what Charles' future holds for him so I'll pick up The Fleet Street Murders next.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Missing boy, mother all a twitter, odd collection of clues including a cat stabbed with a letter opener. Loved the plot, loved the characters, even though I think Charles Lenox is a bit thick as far as detectives go. What I didn't love was how intrusively the history and lore elements were incorporated. These newer writers of historical fiction need to have more faith in their readers'knowledge banks, their ability to put two and two together and figure out the allusions, or their natural curiosity to find out some of the references. They need to work the history elements in more seamlessly. It can be done. Kate Ross,for one, did it with her Julian Kestrel series. Finch did it with the Brunel and Brummel allusions. Really annoying to feel like I have to read a history lesson (history I know and have taught) to get along with the tale. Otherwise,I liked the book a great deal. I have many happy days in Oxford, so it was fun to visit it again. Here is a link to my pinterest board of some of the places mentioned in the book, as well as other books I have read or am reading this year. Hope it links! http://pinterest.com/lisahopelucia/air-livros-2013/ ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

Charles Finchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lorenz, IsabellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rosie, Julia, Henry, and Isabelle,
with a brother's deepest love
The first murders were committed nineteen years before the second, on a dry and unremarkable day along the Sutlej Frontier in Punjab.

In the small hours of the morning one fall day in 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelle’s problem is simple: her beloved son, George, has vanished from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to “The September Society.” Then, just as Lenox realizes that the case may be deeper than it appears, a student dies, the victim of foul play.

What could the September Society have to do with it?  What specter, returned from the past, is haunting gentle Oxford? Lenox, with the support of his devoted friends in London’s upper crust, must race to discover the truth before it comes searching for him, and dangerously close to home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

"In the small hours of the morning one fall day in 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelle's problem is simple: her beloved son, George, has vanished from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate, he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to the September Society." "Then, just as Lenox realizes that the case may be deeper than it appears, a student dies, the victim of foul play." "What could the September Society have to do with it? What specter, returned from the past, is haunting gentle Oxford? Lenox, with the support of Lady Jane and his other devoted friends in London's upper crust, must race to discover the truth before it comes searching for him, and dangerously close to home."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

53 wanted2 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,635,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible