The September Society by Charles Finch

The September Society (2008)

by Charles Finch

Series: Charles Lenox Mysteries (2)

Fluff. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |

The first book didn't quite work for me. After reading this one, though, I am certain it was my fault. A case of wrong timing. I did recognize that at the time too, so there's that. It happens. I may revisit it some time in the future.

The September Society mystery part is very good. It has its twists and turns, strange events and mysterious and bloody beginning. This is not a spoiler since what starts it all is in the prologue itself. The beginning of Lenox's case is in the distant past, in India. The best part is that even though you might think you understand what is going on and even solve parts of the mystery yourself, the resolution probably won't be what you expected.
However, Charles Lenox is not in his element here. He is distracted. He has realized he loves his friend Lady Jane and, every now and then the story is interrupted with his thoughts on marriage, whether she will marry him, who is the man who is visiting her, about his life in general and so on. It was so frustrating seeing all those interrupted opportunities to ask her to marry him.

I liked the story. Even with the distractions, it's pretty good. The September Society also introduces another aristocrat who wants to be a detective. I wouldn't mind reading a Lord John Dallington series at all. I hope he will appear in future books too. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I thought this book was a bit boring. I felt the ending was a let down - all this build up and it fell kind of flat. I also found myself completely uninterested in the main character's life. Every time Lady Jane or Toto came into the picture, I was annoyed and considered skipping those portions entirely, but was afraid something integral to the plot might happen and I'd later be confused. Unfortunately, very little to nothing that advanced the plot happened during those interludes. ( )
  AeshaMali | Sep 17, 2016 |
Pretty good mystery. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |

Charles Finchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lorenz, IsabellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rosie, Julia, Henry, and Isabelle,
with a brother's deepest love
The first murders were committed nineteen years before the second, on a dry and unremarkable day along the Sutlej Frontier in Punjab.

In the small hours of the morning one fall day in 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelle’s problem is simple: her beloved son, George, has vanished from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to “The September Society.” Then, just as Lenox realizes that the case may be deeper than it appears, a student dies, the victim of foul play.

What could the September Society have to do with it?  What specter, returned from the past, is haunting gentle Oxford? Lenox, with the support of his devoted friends in London’s upper crust, must race to discover the truth before it comes searching for him, and dangerously close to home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

"In the small hours of the morning one fall day in 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelle's problem is simple: her beloved son, George, has vanished from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate, he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to the September Society." "Then, just as Lenox realizes that the case may be deeper than it appears, a student dies, the victim of foul play." "What could the September Society have to do with it? What specter, returned from the past, is haunting gentle Oxford? Lenox, with the support of Lady Jane and his other devoted friends in London's upper crust, must race to discover the truth before it comes searching for him, and dangerously close to home."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

53 wanted2 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,729,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible