Joseph and His Brothers: The Stories of…

Joseph and His Brothers: The Stories of Jacob, Young Joseph, Joseph in…

by Thomas Mann

Series: Joseph and his Brothers (Omnibus)

Hearken Unto the Voice by Franz Werfel (Anonymous user)

English (12)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Overdrawn and over the top with unnecessary details. This "epic" is underwhelming. There are some interesting portions, albeit, but the overall scope is far too high for such a short portion of the bible. My attention lagged and faltered through many parts of the book and I was not generally intrigued by the overall "mystique" of the novel. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Okay, so it's really long - in fact it's a tome of gigantic proportions - almost 1,500 pages! Granted nothing much happens in the first 200 pages, but at around 300 the story gets to moving along pretty well. Mann likes to get his plotline ducks all in order before he actually moves the story along and this can tend to be tedious at times. Familiar with the story, you must be willing to allow Mann to innundate you with all the background in all its glory. The John E. Woods translation is amazing though I'm not familiar with the earlier one. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
2 thumbs up! ( )
  oel_3 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Spent this afternoon reading. Finished the section on Dinah. A disturbing narrative.

I admit. Slow progress, but I haven't given up on the book. Just read about Jacob stealing Esau's heritage. And Jacob is the good guy, right? This old really is quite remarkable. Interesting to see the contours filled in by Mann.
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
One of my favorite works. This is the Joseph found in Genesis, but he comes alive under Mann's skill. Ancient Egypt comes alive. The idiosyncrasies, strewn throughout (the farming of dates, for example) brings authenticity to the story. An epic worth re-reading. I've recommended this book throughout the high school I work at. Terrific. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Thomas Mannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woods, John E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Апт, СоломонTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Joseph and His Brothers

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

A wonderfully detailed narrative about Joseph and his brothers. Mann conjures for us the world of patriarchs and pharaohs, the civilizations of Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Palestine and the universal force of human love, in all it's beauty, desparation, and absurdity.… (more)

Legacy Library: Thomas Mann

Thomas Mann has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Thomas Mann's legacy profile.

See Thomas Mann's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,710,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible