Doctor Who: Monsters Inside by Stephen Cole

Doctor Who: Monsters Inside (edition 2005)

by Stephen Cole

Member:katycat
Title:Doctor Who: Monsters Inside
Authors:Stephen Cole
Info:Random House UK (2005), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Withdrawn
Rating:**
Tags:read 2010, series: doctor who, tie-in, genre: science fiction, ya/j, withdrawn: sally

The Monsters Inside by Stephen Cole

"Read" as an audiobook. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
A while back, a friend of mine told me she had a couple of Doctor Who books she wasn't going to read anymore. When I was at her place, I took a couple of them with me, one of them being The Monsters Inside, but in Dutch ("De Verborgen Monsters"). It featured Rose Tyler and the Ninth Doctor, so I was really enthousiastic about it because Nine was my first Doctor, and Rose is one of my favourite companions.

The Monsters Inside tells the story of how Nine and Rose are being arrested for trespassing on a planet. They are each brought to a different prison, and they're trying their best to get back to each other. But then they find out that there are creatures trying to infiltrate the prison planets, and they must do their best to stop them.

I'm going to say it right away: I was disappointed. The first Doctor Who book that I didn't give a positive rating. And I am so sad about it, because I love both Nine and Rose; but I just couldn't care about this book. And the majority of it was the main villain of this story. Raxacoricofallapatorians. We met a couple of Slitheens in the first season of Doctor Who, and I already disliked them a lot then; but this book made me dislike them even more. I have no idea who even came up with these aliens who literally wear people's skins and then fart and burp because they're too fat to fit in the suits; really?!

It really made me dislike the book, and made me not want to finish it. Even though I wanted to find out how they were going to get back together again, and how they were going to defeat these creatures. But eventually, I just decided to give up, so I closed the book at page 230. I do plan on skimming through the rest of the book to find out what happens, but I'm not going to read the rest.

I loved Rose, I loved the Doctor; I also liked Flowers and Dennel, but other than that I couldn't feel anything for any of the characters, and I just didn't care whether they lived or died.

Then there was also the fact that it was written in Dutch. It is my native language, but it's certainly not my favourite language, especially not to read in. I've said it in probably every review of a Dutch book on my blog; but it's so childish. And - this is a little pet peeve of mine - every 'you' in the original book was translated into the formal you in Dutch (we have the informal 'jij/jou/jouw' and the formal 'u/uw') and I don't know but I find that a bit annoying. Sorry not sorry.

In the end, I didn't like The Monsters Inside which saddens me. I'll be picking up another Doctor Who book soon, another one I got from my friend, also written by Stephen Cole but this time it's in English. So yeah, I can't really recommend this book to people, unless you really want to read all the Doctor Who books out there.

My opinion on this book in one gif:

october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
This was pretty good. It got a bit too technical at some points, which made it slow (for me), but it wouldn't be Doctor who without it I guess. ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
It's time for Rose to finally have an adventure on a planet other than earth and the Doctor is just the Gallifreyan to take her. When the Doctor and Rose land on Justicia (yes, that's really what Cole named it) Rose is entranced by a beautiful flower growing in the desolate landscape. Before they can contemplate the stark beauty for any length of time, they come across humans building replicas of the Great Pyramids in Egypt, complete with overseers who have vicious whips. It's not long before the Doctor and Rose are noticed and despite fighting to get back to the TARDIS are captured and taken to different prisons. The Doctor and Rose had the misfortune to land on a penal colony without permission and that carries a hefty sentence. Rose and The Doctor immediately begin to work on a way to reunite but it's not long before they realise that something is not right with the prison. The sound of copious farts and belches and a bright blue light hint that the prison may not be in human control after all.

As you can see from the cover, The Monsters Inside is an adventure story staring the 9th Doctor and his companion Rose. You're going to have be patient with me while I fanpoodle for a moment because I simply loved The Monsters Inside, despite the fact that the antagonists were the puerile and disgusting Raxacoricofallapatorian (try saying that three times quickly). It easily could have been an episode of NuWho because Cole managed to capture the personalities of the Doctor and Rose perfectly. Every time the Doctor gave one his larger than life smiles or snarked, I pictured Eccleston. Rose is characterised as plucky, brave and smart.

For much of the story, Rose and The Doctor are separated so the book changes POV several times. As much as I love seeing The Doctor and Rose together, the separation highlighted their closeness because the both of them were so desperate to get back to each other no matter what. Rose didn't sit around like a helpless damsel waiting for the Doctor to find her ans she never doubted they would be reunited. The Doctor's absence gave Rose the chance to step into the roll expert as she led some her fellow prisoners and a guard out of danger. Rose even proved that she has been listening to all of the technical jargon she has learned in her travels with The Doctor as she explained the mechanics of the situation to her fellow prisoners.

While being alone worked well for Rose, it didn't work quite as well for The Doctor. Fans of the series know that the companions serve as a foil for the Doctor. Because The Doctor was separated from Rose, we were treated to his inner monologue. That took away some of the mystery for me. As a viewer, we are meant to know the Doctor is up to something but we aren't really supposed to know what exactly. That said, I do believe the revelation of the Doctors thoughts was thoroughly tempered by the great characterisation.

The 9th Doctor can easily be described as the PTSD angry Doctor. He will do what he has to do but he is always looking for the redemption of those he faces. In the case of (channeling River Song and warning, "spoilers") the Blathereen, though they plan to kill millions, and breed humans as a captive workforce, The Doctor is willing to allow them to live. It's only when they insist on their murderous plans that The Doctor is forced to act. He begs them to stop and finally warns them to stop but in the end, when the Blathereen are not persuaded, the annihilation is near total.

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 30, 2015 |
The Doctor and Rose end up on Justicia, a prison camp where Rose finds herself locked up in a borstal and the Doctor is made part of a scientific work-camp. This one has a really good plot and the "baddies" are better described here than they were depicted in the TV show. It is, however, slightly let down by the fact that the author has made the Ninth Doctor a bit too happy-go-lucky (he's actually more like the Tenth Doctor) when he should have more gravitas. Also, the narrator of the audio version has a nasal and slightly shrill voice, which works when she does Rose, but gets annoying with the other characters, so I'd recommend the paper version if this is on your list. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 21, 2015 |
For Jason Loborik, who just smiled when I couldn't tell him a thing
Wherever it was, it wasn't earth.

The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Rose to a brutal deep-space prison colony. Can they stay out of gaol long enough to discover who - or what - is behind the sinister scientific plot that threatens billions of human lives? The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Rose to a destination in deep space - Justicia, a prison camp stretched over seven planets, where Earth colonies deal with their criminals. While Rose finds herself locked up in a teenage borstal, the Doctor is trapped in a scientific labour camp. Each is determined to find the other, and soon both Rose and the Doctor are risking life and limb to escape in their distinctive styles. But their dangerous plans are complicated by some old enemies. Are these creatures fellow prisoners as they claim, or staging a takeover for their own sinister purposes? Featuring the Doctor and Rose as played by Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,615,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible