The Clockwise Man by Justin Richards

The ninth Doctor and Rose land in 1920s London, where they meet a number of people with largely mysterious backgrounds. There are robots and exiled royals and cats and a sick child, and all in all it's a rather fun little tale. However, as much as I enjoyed this story, it didn't feel all that specific to Doctor Who. Heck, the Doctor had neither TARDIS nor sonic screwdriver for the majority of the book. Neither he nor Rose spoke like their television counterparts. He didn't even ever say, "Fantastic!" ( )
  melydia | Oct 30, 2014 |
It's a quick, fun read if you're a fan of the Doctor, but its not going to win any literary awards. ( )
  iamjonlarson | Sep 29, 2014 |
The Doctor himself best describes at least part of the story:'It's about a Painted Lady. It's about clockwork killers. A manhunt. Mistaken identity. Assassination. The usual ingredients.' You see, this both tells you a lot and nothing at the same time.

I liked the main idea of the story. There is a lot of danger involved, but that's nothing new for the Doctor and a companion. I kept forgetting this is Eccleston's Doctor and for some reason I kept imagining Tennant's. I loved both, but the ninth got too little time in the series.
I loved the steampunk touch. It is well explained and flawlessly incorporated into the alien storyline.

I hated moments when the Doctor acted out of character. There is a moment when he can't remember the word syllable! Let me write that again: the Doctor cannot remember the word in English. I couldn't accept that. And he wasn't joking either. Then again, the rest of the time he was his crazy self.
At first I didn't like the story because Rose was acting dumb. She was never my favourite in the series, but then I remembered Amy freaking whining Pond and Rose seems perfect in comparison. So I forgave her talking and calling the Doctor in a moment when she shouldn't be seen.
While I liked Freddie as a character, the way he was used to forward the plot got too tedious.
And the villains? Now, some may not agree with this, but they got way too many opportunities.

Still, with all the above I cannot but like the story. I mean, the steampunk Doctor Who. Even with the flaws, it kept the good stuff. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Engaging and suspenseful, with excellent characterization, this Who book brings back my favorite Doctor and lets him shine. Even if the plot is a little far-fetched at times, it's a good short enjoyable Who romp. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
Good solid story from Justin Richards - and it was great to have one more adventure with the 9th Doctor! ( )
  LouisVillains | Apr 25, 2014 |
For Julian and Christian -- and everyone else now discovering or rediscovering the amazing worlds of Doctor Who
Peter Dickson learned the truth about black cats from his mother.

England 1924: the Doctor and Rose find themselves caught up in the hunt for a murderer. With faceless killers closing in, can they solve the mystery of the Clockwise Man before London itself is destroyed? This is the first of a new series of hardcovers featuring the new Doctor Who from the new TV series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

Its England in 1924, and the Doctor and Rose find themselves caught up in the hunt for a murderer. With the faceless killers closing in, can they solve the mystery of the clockwise man before London itself is destroyed?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,328,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible