The Clockwise Man by Justin Richards
404None26,243 (3.39)9
(3) 1920s (4) 9th Doctor (33) BBC (9) Big Ben (3) British (3) Doctor Who (129) ebook (7) fiction (45) hardcover (6) London (7) NDA (3) New Series Adventures (7) ninth doctor adventures (4) novel (6) NSA (5) own (3) read (9) read in 2005 (3) robots (4) Rose (10) Rose Tyler (13) science fiction (77) series (3) sf (12) television (16) tie-in (11) time travel (8) to-read (6) tv tie-in (8)

This is the first Doctor Who novel that I've read and I was quite pleased with it. The e-book version I'm reading didn't have a cover, so I wasn't sure which new Doctor it would be, but the dialogue style was so spot-on that I could tell it was the 9th Doctor almost immediately. The adventure is solid and entertaining with some good twists; I could picture it as an actual episode.

3.5 stars because it was better than "Fair", but I probably won't reread it. ( )
  Starsister12 | Dec 7, 2013 |
I'm a pretty big Doctor Who fan, although only of the 2005 reboot (I was too young for the original series and have no idea how to get into that one). Next to the series on the BBC and a lot of other merchandise, there is also a series of (children's) books. For me, these books are episodes on its own. They are pretty quick reads, but as much fun as the show (with the same Doctor and companions) and great to read when waiting between episodes or seasons.
In this book the Doctor (9th) and Rose travel to London in 1924 to see the British Empire Exhibition but instead stumble upon a strange plot of attempted murder, displaced royals from unknown countries, a woman who never shows her face and weird cats. It reads like a true Doctor Who adventure, including references to the TV show, and is a lot of fun. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Jul 4, 2013 |
BBC Books with Chris Eccleston on the cover. Not these are official fanfic kinda. Now badly written and fun to read. This one featured mechanical aliens, London in 1920, the Ninth Doctor, I still miss him even if I love Ten but I still miss big ears ;)

Rose and The Doctor end up misplacing the TARDIS, meeting up with royalty and making things right in the end. You can't really ask for more from this kind of book. Enjoyable and fun. The one I'm currently reading even has Captain Jack in. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Apr 4, 2013 |
Shortly after the new Doctor Who series launched in 2005, BBC Books launched a series of original books featuring the Ninth Doctor and Rose Tyler as portrayed on television by Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. These books have commonly come to be known as the New Series Adventures. These books were launched 3 at a time with the first three being The Clockwise Man, The Monsters Inside , and Winner Takes All .

In The Clockwise Man by Justin Richards, the Doctor and Rose land at the British Empire Exhibition in 1924, where they discover that people are being murdered. In the process of investigating, they meet, among other people, the deposed Czar of Russia. One character referenced simply as Anna in the novel is most likely supposed to be Anastasia.

I'm not going to go into a lengthy exposition on this book, but I certainly enjoyed it. It was nice to "see" Christopher Eccleston and Rose again. I really liked Eccleston as the Doctor and felt he didn't stay long enough. The novel also featured clockwork men which were not too dissimilar to those later featured in The Girl in the Fireplace. I'm not sure if there was any connection between them, but there doesn't appear to be. The novel also mentioned "Bad Wolf", which was part of the story arc for this season: a nice touch. ( )
  hwlester | Sep 15, 2012 |
My Doctor Who obsession continues in the printed word with this adventure taking the Ninth Doctor and Rose to Edwardian London. They are soon embroiled in a mystery that involves, yep, aliens. It’s a good story and one that probably works best as a novel that wouldn’t translate to the screen. ( )
  Othemts | Sep 1, 2012 |
For Julian and Christian -- and everyone else now discovering or rediscovering the amazing worlds of Doctor Who
Peter Dickson learned the truth about black cats from his mother.

England 1924: the Doctor and Rose find themselves caught up in the hunt for a murderer. With faceless killers closing in, can they solve the mystery of the Clockwise Man before London itself is destroyed? This is the first of a new series of hardcovers featuring the new Doctor Who from the new TV series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

Its England in 1924, and the Doctor and Rose find themselves caught up in the hunt for a murderer. With the faceless killers closing in, can they solve the mystery of the clockwise man before London itself is destroyed?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible