Meat by Joseph D'Lacey

Meat (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Joseph D'Lacey, Stephan Glietsch (Übersetzer)

Member:truller10
Title:Meat
Authors:Joseph D'Lacey
Other authors:Stephan Glietsch (Übersetzer)
Info:Heyne (2009), Ausgabe: 1. Neuausg., Taschenbuch, 448 Seiten
Collections:Gelesen [2012]
Rating:***

Meat by Joseph D'Lacey (2008)

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: The subject matter of both involves a dystopian future in which some people are more worthy of support than others. Ishiguro is more genteel than D'Lacey. Unless you really want to know what's in your daily pinta, I'd give Meat a miss, on the other hand...… (more)

English (6)  German (2)  All languages (8)
This was supposed to be a horror novel I think, but it didn't really find it even mildly troubling. The central premise of the novel is about cannibalism, covered up by the towns ruling powers. This is obviously not a nice scenario, but it isn't particularly frightening. I really didn't find myself engaged in the characters or care that much what happened to them It took me a long time to get through the story and I was glad to finish it and move on to something else. It wasn't a terrible book or badly written, but I just didn't enjoy it. ( )
  fothpaul | Mar 24, 2014 |
If any book had the power to make me go vegetarian- it would be this one. This is a very disturbingly creepy horror novel that made me squeamish at parts. The author did well in not making this specifically a moral story but there were definite undertones of the higher road to take.

I can't honestly say that I loved the book but it is one that I won't forget for a long time.

If taboo topics unnerve you- then leave this book alone. Otherwise- happy eating. ( )
  Spiceca | Aug 23, 2011 |
Meat. It’s a short title for a book, but no word or group of words would have been more appropriate. The novel is about a small isolated town in the middle of a ruined wasteland where meat is raised and slaughtered with a holy reverence then consumed by the community like communion…or that is how it is supposed to be. The problem is that the meat baron has actually gained more power than the holy order and he is a greedy man on the verge of insanity, destroying the ‘cattle’ in order to keep demand high. The fine line between ‘cattle’ and citizen creates a degree of tension that not too many books can match as the ‘cattle’ or Chosen, as the community calls them, are actually humans that have been mutilated and debased so that they are almost as docile as a herd of beef. Most of the Chosen were born and bred to be what they are, but the meat baron can quickly turn a citizen into Chosen for civil infractions as simple as not consuming meat as their religion dictates or for not doing their job to his satisfaction. The story escalates in tension as a new prophet arises in the barren wasteland claiming that there is another way to live, one without consuming meat or the sacrifice of the Chosen. Joseph D’Lacey has woven a tale that strikes the reader like a cleaver slamming into a raw roast with the level of violence and sheer terror that his story creates. Not only is Meat a fantastic novel of horror, but it’s also a story with heart as Richard Shanti, the main character, fights to save his daughters lives and souls. The parallels between the treatment of the Chosen and today’s slaughter houses is bound to make the reader look at his/her next steak with a certain amount of sympathy. Meat is a novel that I would certainly recommend for anyone who likes horror with lots of impact. ( )
  bretjordan | Feb 18, 2011 |
The book has a great premise and is based on a very creepy, disturbing concept. (It is also graphic and mature.)

The only problem with the book is that it gets bogged down in the middle with what is almost (but not quite) moralizing. The author seemed to be waffling between writing a 'horror' novel with characters that had to behave horribly (i.e. the meat mogul) and a pro-vegetarian, spiritual/religious text.

It almost works. ( )
  crazybatcow | Mar 8, 2010 |
Under skies of tarnished silver, towards the granite clouds, Richard Shanti runs home.

Abyrne is a decaying town, trapped by an advancing wilderness. Its people depend on meat for survival. Meat is sanctified and precious, eaten with devout solemnity by everyone. But ahandful of people suspect Abyrne is evil, rotten to its religious heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible