Río de la vida y otros relatos, El by…

Río de la vida y otros relatos, El (original 1976; edition 2010)

by Norman Maclean

Title:Río de la vida y otros relatos, El
Authors:Norman Maclean
Info:Barcelona: Libros del Asteroide
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Literatura inglesa, Montana, Estados Unidos, Siglo XX, Realismo

A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean (1976)

Recently added byThimgan, private library, SubrosaIlion, ryansutter, sumilou2, taleischner, scotloth, justinweeks

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
I am part of a book club, we read a book a month. This month we are reading A River Runs Through It and other Short Stories. There are 3 short stories in this collection.
The 1st story in the book is A River Runs Through It, this is a story about fishing and family. It is about the Maclean brothers Norman and Paul in the late 1930’s in Montana. The narrator is the older brother Norman who talks about a fishing trip with his younger troubled brother and Norman’s attempt to help Paul get straightened out. The Macleans are a Presbyterian family that describe life through their religion and their passion for fly fishing. Personally, I found all the fishing commentary boring and tedious, but it is obviously important to MacLean and his story line.
The 2nd story in the book is Logging and Pimping and “Your Pal Jim, this is a story about Maclean’s summer working as logger with a adversarial partner Jim. It tells how they spent the summer working against each other instead of with each other.
The 3rd story in the book is USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and the Hole in the Sky, this is a story about MacLean’s time in the forest service. I was unable to complete this story, by page 16 I was so bored out of my mind I just couldn’t finish reading it.
Personally, I find Norman MacLean’s writing flat and uninteresting. He narratives of his stories are of his family and experiences, but they are not engaging events. MacLean seems to focus on unimportant details that have no purpose in the story and he describes these details to a painful degree. For example, in Logging and Pimping and “Your Pal Jim, he spends an entire page of the story describing Jim’s logging boots and the boots have no significance to the storyline beyond this description. The stories seem to ramble and do not have a point, there is no epiphany found at the end that gives us a reason to read the story. In a way, I felt like I was listening to an old man talk about his youth with no point behind his recollections, just a desire to talk and not forget who he was when younger.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 27, 2015 |
A River Runs Through it is an excellent adventure into the wilderness of Montana. For someone who dreams of going fly fishing in the rivers of Montana, this book was a joy. Norman Maclean is a good author who describes scenery and emotion with ease. ( )
  Noah_Schumacher | Apr 28, 2015 |
Maclean's writing surprised me. All I knew about this book before my dad passed it on to me was that a movie had been made out of the title story. I never saw the movie but had some vague awareness that it was about fishing. The title story is the best in here, although the others are quite good, too. Maclean lives very much in his own head as he tells his stories, keeping the reader abreast of what's going on around him while at the same time sharing his inner thoughts on related matters. In the stories, Maclean retains a matter-of-fact easiness about him, with a complimentary quick and dry wit. The easiness is often tested by his dealings with his family members, who he obviously cares for very much, but who also occasionally cause him to fret and over-analyze. And while fishing plays a big role in the title story, it is less of a theme and more of a convenient framework for Maclean to hang his thoughts and insights upon. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
One novella (the title story) and two shorter stories, all placed in the Montana and Idaho mountains. Maclean's voice is deeply personal, his writing lyrical, and his characters are so real it's hard to imagine this as fiction. Each of the stories is from the perspective of an older man looking back on younger days.

In the title story, a man tries to save, and then just to understand his brother and himself, through the prism of the country and fly-fishing. The descriptions are so entwined with the characters that I felt I knew both by the end. The scenery is never there just for filler - but it filled me with a longing to see it nevertheless.

The other two stories, "Logging and Pimping and "Your Pal,Jim"", and "USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Coook and a Hole in the Sky", are set in logging camps in the same area, with a young narrator making his way among other men and within himself.

Wonderful writing, wonderful stories. ( )
  ffortsa | Feb 8, 2014 |
What can I say? This is an amazing book, one that is good to come back to. Great as a fly fishing narrative and as a examination of family relationships. I loved it! ( )
  ChuckS65 | Oct 7, 2013 |
For Jean and John
to whom I have long told stories
In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing.

It is an artful and painful story of family, fishing, life and death.

Contains these stories:
"A River Runs Through It"
"Logging and Pimping and 'Your Pal, Jim'"
"USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and a Hole in the Sky"

Just as Norman Maclean writes at the end of "A River Runs through It" that he is "haunted by waters," so have readers been haunted by his novella. A retired English professor who began writing fiction at the age of 70, Maclean produced what is now recognized as one of the classic American stories of the twentieth century. Originally published in 1976, A River Runs through It and Other Stories now celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary, marked by this new edition that includes a foreword by Annie Proulx.

Maclean grew up in the western Rocky Mountains in the first decades of the twentieth century. As a young man he worked many summers in logging camps and for the United States Forest Service. The two novellas and short story in this collection are based on his own experiences—the experiences of a young man who found that life was only a step from art in its structures and beauty. The beauty he found was in reality, and so he leaves a careful record of what it was like to work in the woods when it was still a world of horse and hand and foot, without power saws, "cats," or four-wheel drives. Populated with drunks, loggers, card sharks, and whores, and set in the small towns and surrounding trout streams and mountains of western Montana, the stories concern themselves with the complexities of fly fishing, logging, fighting forest fires, playing cribbage, and being a husband, a son, and a father.

By turns raunchy, poignant, caustic, and elegiac, these are superb tales which express, in Maclean's own words, "a little of the love I have for the earth as it goes by." A first offering from a 70-year-old writer, the basis of a top-grossing movie, and the first original fiction published by the University of Chicago Press, A River Runs through It and Other Stories has sold more than a million copies. As Proulx writes in her foreword to this new edition, "In 1990 Norman Maclean died in body, but for hundreds of thousands of readers he will live as long as fish swim and books are made."

"Altogether beautiful in the power of its feeling. . . . As beautiful as anything in Thoreau or Hemingway."—Alfred Kazin, Chicago Tribune Book World

"It is an enchanted tale. . . . I have read the story three times now, and each time it seems fuller."— Roger Sale, New York Review of Books

"Maclean's book—acerbic, laconic, deadpan—rings out of a rich American tradition that includes Mark Twain, Kin Hubbard, Richard Bissell, Jean Shepherd, and Nelson Algren. I love its sound."—James R. Frakes, New York Times Book Review

"The title novella is the prize. . . . Something unique and marvelous: a story that is at once an evocation of nature's miracles and realities and a probing of human mysteries. Wise, witty, wonderful, Maclean spins his tales, casts his flies, fishes the rivers and the woods for what he remembers from his youth in the Rockies."—Publishers Weekly

"Ostensibly a 'fishing story,' 'A River Runs through It' is really an autobiographical elegy that captivates readers who have never held a fly rod in their hand. In it the art of casting a fly becomes a ritual of grace, a metaphor for man's attempt to move into nature."—Andrew Rosenheim, The Independent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Collection of three Western stories, featuring the title piece about the relationship between a father and his two sons, bound together by love and fly fishing.

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible