Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, Book…

Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, Book 7) (edition 2008)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:stephanie.spiher
Title:Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, Book 7)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton

I'm not even sure I can say why, but this installment in the Meredith Gentry series didn't live up to the earlier books for me. For the second half of the book, I was just as wrapped up in the book as I usually am when it comes to Hamilton's writing, but the first half felt... I'm not sure. Somewhat rushed and scattered, as if chapters were being written to get characters from one moment to the next, but without the same depth as I'd expect from this author and series. There was just less weight to everything, and I had a hard time re-engaging with the series. Towards the middle, things picked up and I didn't want to put the book down--it felt like what I'd expected all along--but then the ending went back to feeling rather rushed, and didn't have the emotion I might have expected.

So, I don't know... readers couldn't start with this book in the series regardless, as this really is a series you need to read from beginning to end and not jump into. Perhaps it was just me, and the span of time between reading books 6 and 7. This also might just have been a lull in the series. I'd still recommend the series to readers of urban fantasy and readers who love Hamilton's Anita Blake series, and I'll be curious to see whether book 8 is more in line with what I've come to expect from the Meredith Gentry books. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jun 22, 2018 |
unsubtle title. amazing what can happen in 12 hours in these stories... makes me sore. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Merry keeps finding new connections to the men in her life and expanding her powers at the same time. Laurell Hamilton now shows what can happen when you push someone up to a wall and try to hold them there. Merry thought she would get a break from all the killing with her pregnancy but now she finds out what it really means to be responsible for someone else's life....in this case, the lives of her children, her men, and her people. I'm disappointed that the author continues to move away from the plot to focus on more sexual escapades. Fun and steamy sex are great but those scenes should not take over the entire novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
If I could I'd give this book six out of five stars. It was that amazing! All my favorite characters, many amazingly delicious good endings, fast-paced and nonstop action. So good I have finished and now ride a sea of euphoria. There were dark scenes in this novel, don't think it was all joy and light. Don't think that. The backbone of this book is power, pain, and love. Merry, she may have found her happiness but she and her friends nearly die to find it. Oh, you could not read any more Meredith Gentry books and naively call this story closed. Yet the goddess chose Merry and her band of friends, lovers, allies for a reason and I highly doubt she would give up. Not this easy. But I have to admit that all that happens in this book is vividly real, painful and joyful in all it's book glory, that I hope that the next book is like this- a bit of ambrosia. A gift of the gods. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Had to go check out LKH's blog and read that this is NOT the last book in Merry's series. Yea! I'm only half way through but it is definitely different than things have been lately with her books. There was the start of oral but no sex thus far. There's - story - what a concept! Okay, I know that the sex served a purpose so wasn't all twisted about it but was bothered that all the action covered a 24 hour period and a good portion of it was some rather 'interesting' sex.

Interesting progression of the story. Seeing where it goes from here now the Cel is dead will be something to look forward to. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Black, ClaudiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, FredDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sipley, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I feel like one,
Who treads alone
Some banquet hall deserted.
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all but her departed!

—From "Oft, in the Stilly Night"
By Thomas Moore
(National Airs, 1818)
To Jonathan, who walks the empty places with me, and turns on the lights as we go.
Hospitals are where people go to be saved, but the doctors can only patch you up, put you back together.

I am Meredith, princess of faerie, wielder of the hands of Flesh and Blood, and at long last, I am with child -- twins, fathered by my royal guard. Though my uncle, Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, claims that he is the true father since he abducted me from my home, betrayed, and defiled me. And now he has branded my guards as a threat to my unborn children.

Bearing an heir has placed me halfway to my aunt’s throne, that much closer to my reign over the Unseelie Court -- and well ahead of her son, my cousin Cel, in this race. Now I must stay alive to see my children born and claim my place as queen.

But not all in faerie are pleased with the news, and conspirators from every court in the realm plot against me and mine. They seek to strip my guards, my lovers, from me by poisoned word or cold steel. But I still have supporters, and even friends, among the goblins and the sluagh, who will stand by me.

I am Meredith Nic Essus, and those who would defy and destroy me are destined to pay a terrible price -- for I am truly my father’s daughter. To protect what is mine, I will sacrifice anything–even if it means waging a great battle against my darkest enemies and making the most momentous decision ever made as princess of faerie.

In the sequel to A Lick of Frost, Meredith Gentry, whose rightful place on the throne of Faerie is dependent on being able to produce an heir, is overjoyed when she finds herself pregnant after many failed attempts, but her triumph is overshadowed by court plots against her life and those she loves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,445,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible