Death of a Cozy Writer by G. M. Malliet

Death of a Cozy Writer (edition 2008)

by G. M. Malliet

Member:Kaczencja
Title:Death of a Cozy Writer
Authors:G. M. Malliet
Info:Woodbury, Minn. : Midnight Ink, c2008.
Collections:Your library, E-books, Read, Read in 2012
Tags:American, original, crime fiction, St. Just

Death of a Cozy Writer by G.M. Malliet

Death of a Cozy Writer – G.M. Malliet
Audio performance by Davina Porter
2 stars

This is the first book in a series featuring the Detective Chief Inspector St. Just. The books came to my attention as ‘good ones if you like Agatha Christie’; which I do. I also like Davina Porter. She is one of my favorite voice artists. I didn’t see how I could go wrong with this one.
I’m probably going to offend fans of this series, but I was very disappointed. I felt trapped in the predictable country house with a huge cast of totally unlikable and uninteresting characters. The build-up to the murders takes far too long. The entrance of the detective is too low key. The detective is bland, without humor or panache. The plot is a blatant rip-off of several Agatha Christie plots awkwardly cobbled together.
Could it really have been that bad? Maybe it was just me. I was distracted or not in the right frame of mind. But, I don’t feel inspired to read the next book in the series.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I really had problem connecting with any of the characters in the book. I barely finished it and dreaded most every page. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
Looking forward to reading the other by same author. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
A humerous takeoff on cozy mysteries. Adrian is a best selling writer of cozy mystery novels but he is a horrid person. He has called his four children together to celebrate his impending marriage to Violet, who was invovled in a scandal when her first husband was murdered. Adrian has a habit on constantly switching his will around. Soon two murders occur. I liked the humor but the actual solution of the mystery wasn't well backed up by the story. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Patriarch invites his family to his country estate to tell them of his impending nuptials to an unsuitable young woman (who had been accused of murdering her 1st husband). It’s not long before the eldest heir is murdered and plenty of blame and secrets to go around.

This was not a good audiobook because there were a lot of characters and it was slow to get started. ( )
  Kathy89 | Apr 26, 2015 |
For my husband
The invitation, though embossed on the stiffest 100 percent rag-content paper Gribbley's, Stationers to Her Majesty, could produce, nonetheless had more than a whiff of the prepackaged Marks & Sparks sales offering about it.

Winner of the 2008 Agatha Award for Best First Novel

From deep in the heart of his eighteenth century English manor, millionaire Sir Adrian Beauclerk-Fisk writes mystery novels and torments his four spoiled children with threats of disinheritance. Tiring of this device, the portly patriarch decides to weave a malicious twist into his well-worn plot. Gathering them all together for a family dinner, he announces his latest blow – a secret elopement with the beautiful Violet... who was once suspected of murdering her husband.

Within hours, eldest son and appointed heir Ruthven is found cleaved to death by a medieval mace. Since Ruthven is generally hated, no one seems too surprised or upset – least of all his cold-blooded wife Lillian. When Detective Chief Inspector St. Just is brought in to investigate, he meets with a deadly calm that goes beyond the usual English reserve. And soon Sir Adrian himself is found slumped over his writing desk – an ornate knife thrust into his heart. Trapped amid leering gargoyles and stone walls, every member of the family is a likely suspect. Using a little Cornish brusqueness and brawn, can St. Just find the killer before the next-in-line to the family fortune ends up dead?

Death of a Cozy Writer was chosen by Kirkus Reviews as a Best Book of 2008, nominated for a Left Coast Crime award (the Hawaii Five-O for best police procedural), short-listed for the Macavity Award for Best First Mystery, nominated for the Anthony Award for Best First Novel and was a finalist for the David G. Sasher, Sr. Award for Best Mystery Novel.

G.M. Malliet's Death of a Cozy Writer won the 2008 Agatha Award for Best First Novel and a silver medal for the IPPY awards in the category of Mystery/Suspense/Thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:19 -0400)

After the deaths of a wealthy mystery writer and his oldest son during a gathering at his mansion, Detective Chief Inspector St. Just attempts to solve the crime with a house full of suspects with ample motives to kill.

44 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,480,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible