An American Childhood by Annie Dillard

An American Childhood (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Annie Dillard

Member:kant1066
Title:An American Childhood
Authors:Annie Dillard
Info:Harper Perennial (1988), Edition: 1st Perennial Library Ed, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:literary fiction, autobiography

An American Childhood by Annie Dillard (1987)

It is difficult to convey how impressed I was with this book. Or even to separate which aspects of it I was most impressed by. There was the incredible skill of the author to recall and flesh out memories into these perfectly formed little scenes. There was the lyrical prose and ingeniously-combined word groupings. There was perfect capturing of the types of feelings that a child has about the most seemingly benign situations. There was the tone: neither showy nor falsely-modest. There was the time that it captured in 1950s Pittsburgh, with all the greater social issues and inner social circles it involved. It is really a wonderful book. ( )
  Ireadthereforeiam | Jan 16, 2014 |
Right after Bill Bryson's memoirs of growing up in middle America in the 50, Annie Dillard's memoirs of growing up in the 50s in Pittsburgh was a great extension. Dillard's voice is smooth and beautiful, with the perfect balance of poignant reflection and biting adolescent angst. Like Bryson, she talks about a childhood marked with atomic bomb drills and the golden age of baseball. And just like Bryson's obsession with girls, Dillard's memories are laced with boys. To match Bryson's obsession with comics, Dillard was a consumer of nature and science books which lead to high literature and poetry as she grew older. Dillard speaks of a privileged childhood, of moving up to better neighborhoods, and rocks she inherited, through the paperboy, from an old gentleman who had nobody other than the paperboy to pass on his collection. Bryson, having spent some good time as a miserable paperboy, can tell you more about this dying profession, but Dillard will captivate with moments of incredible images that will live in your mind for years. You might see a diver with different eyes, or you get the urge to go in the woods with a pickax. You will certainly appreciate having Goodreads, to share your books and opinions about books with the greater world with such ease. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
A beautiful love letter to libraries, learning for learning's sake, and Pittsburgh. ( )
  dele2451 | Oct 14, 2013 |
Continuing with the theme of revisiting high school summer reading...

Seems I reread this at the right time, especially the part about effort. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
This book resonated with me alot. Like her, I grew up in the 50's. Lots of cozy feelings and warm memories. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 20, 2013 |
I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of thy house and the place where dwelleth thy glory. - Psalm 26
for my parents Pam Lambert Doak and Frank Doak
When everything else has gone from my brain--the President's name, the state capitals, the neighborhoods where I lived, and then my own name and what it was on earth I sought, and then at length the faces of my friends, and finally the faces of my family--when all this has dissolved, what will be left, I believe, is topology: the dreaming memory of land as it lay this way and that.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060915188, Paperback)

Annie Dillard remembers. She remembers the exhilaration of whipping a snowball at a car and having it hit straight on. She remembers playing with the skin on her mother's knuckles, which "didn't snap back; it lay dead across her knuckle in a yellowish ridge." She remembers the compulsion to spend a whole afternoon (or many whole afternoons) endlessly pitching a ball at a target. In this intoxicating account of her childhood, Dillard climbs back inside her 5-, 10-, and 15-year-old selves with apparent effortlessness. The voracious young Dillard embraces headlong one fascination after another--from drawing to rocks and bugs to the French symbolists. "Everywhere, things snagged me," she writes. "The visible world turned me curious to books; the books propelled me reeling back to the world." From her parents she inherited a love of language--her mother's speech was "an endlessly interesting, swerving path"--and the understanding that "you do what you do out of your private passion for the thing itself," not for anyone else's approval or desire. And one would be mistaken to call the energy Dillard exhibits in An American Childhood merely youthful; "still I break up through the skin of awareness a thousand times a day," she writes, "as dolphins burst through seas, and dive again, and rise, and dive."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:37 -0400)

An autobiography describing the author's childhood and life in Pittburgh during the fifties.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible