Mind the Gap by Christopher Golden

Mind the Gap (2008)

by Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon

Recently added byprivate library, CindyBrooks, amysisson, diana.n, DrLed, cosmicdolphin, jldorner, tyranist

Synopsis: Jazz has never trusted anyone; she learned that from her mother. After her mother is murdered, Jazz runs and finds herself in the forgotten tube stations far under London. There she meets a Fagin-type character and embarks on a life of petty crime. However, magic and terror follow her, leading to knowledge she must learn to control.
Review: It took me more than half of the book to begin to get interested in Jazz's plight. Once I passed that point, the book was interesting. However, the first part of the book was too much background and not enough story. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 18, 2014 |
Dull. ( )
  SChant | Apr 26, 2013 |
Dark, creepy, mysterious. I loved this book. Plus I love England and the English accents. Christopher Golden can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 25, 2013 |
While I have enjoyed novels by both Golden and Lebbon, I'm not too sure that I would say that I enjoyed this one. Maybe that's too harsh. I didn't not enjoy it but then I didn't love it either. It was more along the lines of a solid "there," existing and potentially fun but not really.

The story follows a teenage Jasmine "Jazz" Towne who comes home from school one day to find her mom killed by her "Uncles." Her Uncles, also called BMW men, came by at irregular intervals while Jazz was growing up; they would talk with her mom for a while and then leave. My first thought was that her mom was turning tricks but there was actually a conspiracy that happening instead. A conspiracy that made her mom raise Jazz to be very paranoid about everything. This is what gets Jazz to run before she can be caught. She ends up in the Underground and hiding out at old, unused stations. Down there she meets up with another outcast group led by someone who has ties to her past.

As you can see from my summary attempt, there is a lot happening and some thought put into the characters. My problem ended up being that the novel had too many parts that weren't pursued. There was a mystical and supernatural element that was part of the whole story but it wasn't really used. It was more like a ghost that screams out and then goes away. There were some psychic elements that in hind sight seemed to be introduced to make things easier. And there was a conspiracy that left just as many questions at the end of the book as in the middle. Maybe those questions are addressed in the other Hidden Cities novels but considering those are based in other cities (New Orleans, Venice, Boston) I'm not sure if they do. One other thing that I wasn't aware of when starting the book was that it seems to be a Young Adult novel. Nothing wrong with that but I wasn't quite expecting it. If I had known, then I would have set my expectations differently from the start. Overall I'm glad that read it because you never find new things to like if you stick with the same old thing all the time. However, I won't be buying or reading any of the follow up novels. ( )
  dagon12 | Nov 7, 2012 |
If you're looking for... a book, this will certainly meet that need. Past that, not so much. "Mind The Gap" wasn't BAD, just dull. Unusual setting, suspense, etc but just no excitement. You'd be better off reading Twelve-Hawks. ( )
  hobreads | Aug 31, 2011 |

Christopher Goldenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lebbon, Timmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For our dear friends, convention buddies, and fellow writers, Mark Morris and Sarah Pinborough
Even before she saw the house, Jazz knew that something was wrong.

You never know when you’ll find yourself
falling through one of the cracks in the world.…

Two of today’s brightest stars of dark fantasy combine their award-winning, critically acclaimed talents in this spellbinding new tale of magic, terror, and adventure that begins when a young woman slips through the space between our everyday world and the one hiding just beneath it.

Always assume there’s someone after you. That was the paranoid wisdom her mother had hardwired into Jasmine Towne ever since she was a little girl. Now, suddenly on her own, Jazz is going to need every skill she has ever been taught to survive enemies both seen and unseen. For her mother had given Jazz one last invaluable piece of advice, written in her own blood.

Jazz Hide Forever

All her life Jazz has known them only as the “Uncles,” and her mother seemed to fear them as much as depend on them. Now these enigmatic, black-clad strangers are after Jazz for reasons she can’t fathom, and her only escape is to slip into the forgotten tunnels of London’s vast underground. Here she will meet a tribe of survivors calling themselves the United Kingdom and begin an adventure that links her to the ghosts of a city long past, a father she never knew, and a destiny she fears only slightly less than the relentless killers who’d commit any crime under heaven or earth to prevent her from fulfilling it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:56 -0400)

All her life Jazz has known them only as the "Uncles," and her mother seemed to fear them as much as depend on them. Now these enigmatic, black-clad strangers are after Jazz for reasons she can't fathom, and her only escape is to slip into the forgotten tunnels of London's vast underground. Here she will meet a tribe of survivors calling themselves the United Kingdom and begin an adventure that links her to the ghosts of a city long past, a father she never knew, and a destiny she fears only slightly less than the relentless killers who'd commit any crime under heaven or earth to prevent her from fulfilling it.… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible