The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh

The Green Book

by Jill Paton Walsh

4641333,778 (3.6)1 / 15

A very quick read. Interesting story of pioneers on a new planet. I was surprised that there was no escape hatch should things go wrong and delighted by the role of the title character. Would be a good book for class discussion, I think. ( )
  njcur | May 13, 2019 |
The Green Book was the perfect story at the perfect time for our family. Our daughter was a very early reader, and good chapter books that she could read that don't get into overly adult material - yet did not insult her intelligence - were hard to find. (if your impulse is to start listing them - we are avid readers, have no fear - we never ran out)

The child protagonists of this book were a great entry point for her - their intelligence was also something she appreciated. The Green Book was her gateway into reading longer form science fiction, of which she's become a fan.

Some reviews point out the fact that there are scientific inconsistencies... well, yeah - comics can be a good read, too, and getting hung up over where Spider-man's web is connecting and why Batman travels by rooftop doesn't seem to give anyone pause. Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, anyone? As for boring? Never. Sadly - this is likely the effect of assigned reading in school, which does kill many a good book for many a reluctant student. Ironically - the fact that it is assigned at times, speaks well for it's quality.

Another aspect that we liked was the fact that the society facing peril were not reaching for supernatural reassurances as they coped with their problems. The secular nature of their worldview was one we appreciate, and made the story feel like it was grounded. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
It's a children's book that would be just about perfect for 3 or 4th grade. It was also a book that allowed me to fill in a category for a challenge...so it served a duel purpose. It's an interesting story about modern pioneering with some really cool illustrations. To an adult reader it's a reminder that children can and do make some of the biggest contributions to family and society. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 19, 2018 |
I first read this in grade school when I was first getting into fantasy/sci-fi and the story always stuck with me though I could not remember the title. I somehow tracked it down and was quite glad I did. The story follows a family who travels to a distant planet fleeing a dying Earth. This particular family and their compatriots were not well off so they are sent with limited resources on a ship not designed for colonization. The planet is one of crystalline structure - rocks, trees, plants all appear glass-like. It was this aspect of the world building that so caught my imagination as a child. Overall not a groundbreaking or amazing book, but it was nice to revisit it. ( )
  janemarieprice | Feb 22, 2018 |
at least twice people have asked for help at http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185-what-s-the-name-of-that-book so it must be a book that makes an impact...

ETA - there's now a been a third request...

And so I got it from the library. And the blurbs on the back emphasize the grace of the language, but I didn't really see that. I can't find one line worthy of quoting.

It just seemed like a simplistic story with a simple moral about being open to new ways of thinking. That one theme explains why the father, a mere mechanic on Earth, is excited to have the prestige on the new planet of the one with technical skills, why it's so exciting when the aliens hatch and why it's the children who find a way for the colony to survive. It was fine, but not special, in my personal opinion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
For Robert, Matthew, and Kate -J.P.W.
Father said, "We can take very little with us."

As their small stock of essential supplies dwindles, a group of refugees from Earth struggle to make their strange new planet provide life's necessities.

As their small stock of essential supplies dwindles, a group of refugees from earth struggle to make their strange new planet provide life's necessities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,597,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible