Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Death of a Salesman (1948)

by Arthur Miller

All My Sons by Arthur Miller (timspalding)
    timspalding: Similar, if not as good.
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (kxlly)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (FFortuna)
    1933 Was A Bad Year by John Fante (Babou_wk)
    Babou_wk: Le fils refuse de suivre la carrière professionnelle de son père.

English (70)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
A very powerful ending! ( )
  oel_3 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I hate Willy Loman more than is reasonable for a fictional character. ( )
  MCHBurke | Nov 29, 2015 |
Very depressing but compelling story revealing the myth of the American Dream. When you read honest literature, you see how little the world has really changed. There is nothing in this 1949 play that is not relevant today. The bit about things are timed to wear out by the time they're paid for (free-and-clear) is the most heartbreaking part. So many people buy into these modern myths it scares me. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
A fairly uneventful play. I couldn't really sympathize with any of the characters because I didn't like them. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
Depressing. Brilliant. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

A melody is heard, played upon a flute.
You don't understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there is no rock bottom to the life... He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back - that's an earthquake.
He's liked, but he's not well liked.
Biff : Shouldn’t we do anything?

Linda : Oh, my dear, you should do a lot of things, but there’s nothing to do, so go to sleep.
Charley : Howard fired you?

Willy : That snotnose. Imagine that? I named him. I named him Howard.

Charley : Willy, when’re you gonna realize that them things don’t mean anything? You named him Howard, but you can’t sell that. The only thing you got in this world is what you can sell. And the funny thing is that you’re a salesman, and you don’t know that.

Willy : I’ve always tried to think otherwise, I guess. I always felt that if a man was impressive, and well liked, that nothing-

Charley : Why must everybody like you? Who liked J. P. Morgan? Was he impressive?...But with his pockets on he was very well liked.

Ever since it was first performed in 1949, Death of a Salesman has been recognized as a milestone of the American theater. In the person of Willy Loman, the aging, failing salesman who makes his living riding on a smile and a shoeshine, Arthur Miller redefined the tragic hero as a man whose dreams are at once insupportably vast and dangerously insubstantial. He has given us a figure whose name has become a symbol for a kind of majestic grandiosity—and a play that compresses epic extremems of humor and anguish, promise and loss, between the four walls of an American living room.

"By common consent, this is one of the finest dramas in the whole range of the American theater." —Brooks Atkinson, The New York Times

"So simple, central, and terrible that the run of playwrights would neither care nor dare to attempt it." —Time

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

The powerful drama of Willy Loman & his tragic end. Ever since it was first performed in 1949, Death of a Salesman has been recognized as a milestone of the American theater. In the person of Willy Loman, the aging, failing salesman who makes his living riding on a smile and a shoeshine, Arthur Miller redefined the tragic hero as a man whose dreams are at once insupportably vast and dangerously insubstantial. He has given us a figure whose name has become a symbol for a kind of majestic grandiosity-and a play that compresses epic extremems of humor and anguish, promise and loss, between the four walls of an American living room. "By common consent, this is one of the finest dramas in the whole range of the American theater."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible