Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Death of a Salesman (original 1948; edition 1964)

by Arthur Miller

Member:jwhenderson
Title:Death of a Salesman
Authors:Arthur Miller
Info:The Viking Press (1964), Paperback, 139 pages
Rating:***
Tags:american literature, drama, pulitzer prize

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (1948)

All My Sons by Arthur Miller (timspalding)
    timspalding: Similar, if not as good.
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (kxlly)
    The great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (FFortuna)
    1933 Was A Bad Year by John Fante (Babou_wk)
    Babou_wk: Le fils refuse de suivre la carrière professionnelle de son père.

English (67)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (72)
A fairly uneventful play. I couldn't really sympathize with any of the characters because I didn't like them. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
Depressing. Brilliant. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
My first experience with the material in any form. I grasp its stellar reputation and historically relevant placing in the pantheon of the Great White Way. The subject matter is heavy, but clear and honest. You know what's coming from the title. You grieve nonetheless. Certainly the wizened among us would appreciate it more, given the weighty subject matter. They're probably the target audience anyway. Now I need to experience it in the classic form... ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is dark, but you knew that. The collapse of Willy Loman in two acts, with it's reasons revealed by interjecting memories.

Side note, no one should ever be named Happy. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

A melody is heard, played upon a flute.
You don't understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there is no rock bottom to the life... He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back - that's an earthquake.
He's liked, but he's not well liked.
Biff : Shouldn’t we do anything?

Linda : Oh, my dear, you should do a lot of things, but there’s nothing to do, so go to sleep.
Charley : Howard fired you?

Willy : That snotnose. Imagine that? I named him. I named him Howard.

Charley : Willy, when’re you gonna realize that them things don’t mean anything? You named him Howard, but you can’t sell that. The only thing you got in this world is what you can sell. And the funny thing is that you’re a salesman, and you don’t know that.

Willy : I’ve always tried to think otherwise, I guess. I always felt that if a man was impressive, and well liked, that nothing-

Charley : Why must everybody like you? Who liked J. P. Morgan? Was he impressive?...But with his pockets on he was very well liked.

Ever since it was first performed in 1949, Death of a Salesman has been recognized as a milestone of the American theater. In the person of Willy Loman, the aging, failing salesman who makes his living riding on a smile and a shoeshine, Arthur Miller redefined the tragic hero as a man whose dreams are at once insupportably vast and dangerously insubstantial. He has given us a figure whose name has become a symbol for a kind of majestic grandiosity—and a play that compresses epic extremems of humor and anguish, promise and loss, between the four walls of an American living room.

"By common consent, this is one of the finest dramas in the whole range of the American theater." —Brooks Atkinson, The New York Times

"So simple, central, and terrible that the run of playwrights would neither care nor dare to attempt it." —Time

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

The powerful drama of Willy Loman & his tragic end. Ever since it was first performed in 1949, Death of a Salesman has been recognized as a milestone of the American theater. In the person of Willy Loman, the aging, failing salesman who makes his living riding on a smile and a shoeshine, Arthur Miller redefined the tragic hero as a man whose dreams are at once insupportably vast and dangerously insubstantial. He has given us a figure whose name has become a symbol for a kind of majestic grandiosity-and a play that compresses epic extremems of humor and anguish, promise and loss, between the four walls of an American living room. "By common consent, this is one of the finest dramas in the whole range of the American theater."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,008,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible